Mac Applications

General discussion

Can I create a JPEG from a Pages document?

by learning curve / November 29, 2009 9:46 PM PST

I am using version 2 of Pages to create photo collages. Since the final product is actually a photograph, I would like to export it as a JPEG but don't see that this is an option. (OS X, version 10.4.11).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I create a JPEG from a Pages document?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I create a JPEG from a Pages document?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The final product is not a photograph,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 4:06 AM PST

it is a Pages document.

You could convert this document into a PDF by choosing PDF from the print option.

P

Collapse -
Let me explain. . .
by learning curve / December 1, 2009 9:10 PM PST

I do realize that the final result is not a photograph. However, it does look like a photograph or at least consists entirely of photographs. I am printing directly from the Pages document on a Canon Pro9000 printer and the results are very satisfactory. ( If I turn the document into a PDF and print on the same printer, there is deterioration in color. ) Submitting these pieces to a gallery or a printer creates technical problems since I am not following the normal route of having a JPEG or Photoshop PSD as the end result. I think I could use a PDF to send to some galleries, but others require a photograph. Hence the question about converting to a JPEG, but I doubt that this will change your answer. Also, the deterioration in printing caused by using a PDF suggests I will have to find a printer willing/able to print from the Pages document itself if I want to print in larger sizes. That may be a challenge. This is all new to me, so I would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks. K

Collapse -
Not sure how well this would work, but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 2, 2009 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Let me explain. . .

have your finished document on the screen.
Launch Grab from the Applications folder (it may be in the Applications/Utilities folder)
Grab can take whole screen shots, timed shots, active window shots or selected screen area shots.

Use Grab to select the page area and take a screen shot of it.
If I remember correctly, the resulting picture is a TIFF.

Would that do?

P

Collapse -
Progress
by learning curve / December 14, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Thank you! Sorry to be slow, but other less interesting parts of my life have been interfering. Your suggestion did result in a TIFF, but it went from a 21MB Pages document to a 512 kilobyte TIFF, not high enough quality for my purposes. However it got me thinking. Although you can't open a Pages document from Preview, you can access Preview during the print process in Pages. From there, it turns out you can proceed to create a TIFF or JPEG. So voila! Many thanks. K

Collapse -
Pleased you have a solution,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 15, 2009 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Progress

I'll have to check that out later

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.