Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I copy MRI CD to my computer? If so, how?

by Scoobyfan / October 21, 2010 7:33 AM PDT

Hello everyone. I recently had an MRI, at which time the technician gave me a copy of the CD to give to my doctor. He said it was my property, and to make sure that my doctor gives it back because copies will be extra. (I want to be on the safe side and have an extra copy of my own in case something happens to the original.)

How do I or can I copy this CD to my computer or make copies of it? When I insert the CD a screen appears from Syngo Fast view (standard viewing tool for Dicom images). I'm prompted to click on view to view the MRI scans or cancel. When I click on view a couple of screens appear and show some of the MRI scans, but state that around 300 pictures are loaded. (I still can't figure out how to get beyond the first six.)

Anyway, I tried clicking on M Computer and the drive that the CD is in, clicking on copy and paste to my desk top. This results in a folder that contains a DICOM sub folder as well as others. Within the DICOM folder I see the numbers of my images, but nothing can be viewed when I click on them. Also, I can get the DICOM viewer up, but no scans appear.(I tried opening scans with Windows viewer among others, but nothing happened.)

The tech had told me that the doctor can make copies, so why can't I? Do I need another program? A different copy procedure?

Any help will be appreciated. I have Windows XP SP2 or 3, and 74 GB of RAM.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I copy MRI CD to my computer? If so, how?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I copy MRI CD to my computer? If so, how?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2010 7:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
You can copy the CD just the way you do any other
by Steven Haninger / October 21, 2010 7:45 AM PDT

You may also be able to create a folder and copy the entire contents to it. From there, you get to find and launch the viewing utility. It may or may not know exactly where your the images are, however. In any event, it's easy enough to make copies of the CD and it's a good idea to do so. You may need them for insurance or other purposes. As for not being able to click on the image files and view them, that's because Windows doesn't have a native viewer. These tend to be proprietary files and need the utility on the CD to view them.

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / October 21, 2010 7:56 AM PDT

You said there were something around 300 pictures but you can't get past the first 6. This is because you're really looking at something that's more a compiled set of images into a single file and is more like a movie or slide show. The doctor can move forward and backward through the image slices using the viewer. If there are 6 files, the technician made 6 difference scans varying the angle of view or location with each pass.

Collapse -
by Scoobyfan / October 21, 2010 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Additionally

I was able to successfully copy the MRI CD (from CD to CD)! I was initially under the impression that I had to copy the file to my computer, then to another CD. However, I did find a site that said I could copy it from one drive to the other using My Computer.

It copied the DICOM viewer as well as the pictures, and unlike the other method I used (desktop) I was able to view the scans and other information. It must not have liked my desktop as a storage space.

As to the amount of memory, I have a 2005 Dell Dimension, which came with extra slots for memory, which I recently upgraded to the optimum level.

I did look for a DICOM viewer, but the site I went to was different from the one suggested -- and a bit confusing to the layman. If I ever need to install the viewer, I get it from your site, Bob.

Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
How to Copy my MRI
by jasonkawa / September 7, 2015 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Success!

Hi Could you tell me how exactly in steps you copied your MRI?
Im having same problem and cannot seem to figure it out. Can it be saved onto a memory stick? Do you know approx space I will need?
Thank you so much. Im really hoping to get a second opinion on my back issues!

Collapse -
The person might not be able to answer you,
by Oldartq / September 7, 2015 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: How to Copy my MRI

the post is about 5 years old. Scoobyfan said copy from one drive to another. But if your computer don't have 2 drives, you might create an .ISO of the dvd or cd to the harddrive first then make a dvd or cd from the .ISO

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.