TVs & Home Theaters forum

Can I Convert My Cable Tv Coax to HDMI?

by stevemservia / July 11, 2013 9:51 AM PDT

I recently found the sony internet player with google tv and I really am interested in purchasing this. My problem is that my small cable company does not have nor offer catv boxes. I know this is archaic, but I am in a rural area and the cable coax still just screws into the tv. Ok, now that all of you are done laughing, the sony internet player only has hdmi or digital optical inputs. So I would not be able to run my catv thru the sony unit. I know I can still use the internet features by going from the box to my hdtv with hdmi but I really wanted to know if I could plug my coax line into something that would convert to hdmi. Not really looking to improve signal, just to use all of the features of the sony internet player. I hope this all makes sense.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Convert My Cable Tv Coax to HDMI?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Convert My Cable Tv Coax to HDMI?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

If you meant this thing at then there is no need for the cable to go to this device. This device goes to your TV and the cable coax goes to the TV.

This must be some small town if the sales folk can't explain this.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by stevemservia / July 11, 2013 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

I was reading the user manuals online for this unit and the hook up directions call for using an hdmi cable from my catv box or satellite box to the hdmi in on my tv. thus my dilemma. and yes it is small town as the closest store that would even have this is almost 100 miles away so I would be ordering online. that is why I am trying to research ahead of time.

thanks again

Collapse -
I own a few similar things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

None require HDMI from the cable co and today, right now I have my TV with this.

OTA Coax -> TV Coax input.
Smart box thing like this Sony -> HDMI

You may be getting ahead of yourself here and thinking there is some interaction of the HDMI with this smart box Sony thing but there was none here.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Second issue. This has NO HDMI INPUT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 10:10 AM PDT

Inputs and Outputs

Ethernet Connection(s) : 100BASE-TX
HDMI Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
Optical Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
USB Input(s) : 2 (Rear)

So even if you converted your coax to HDMI, where would it connect to this?

Collapse -
Must read further
by stevemservia / July 11, 2013 10:33 AM PDT

I am actually looking at the newer model the gs8 and in the set up guide as well as the pictures it has an hdmi in along with an hdmi out. their own instructions say to go from catv box or sat box with hdmi to hdmi in on the internet player. I have not held one in my hands so I am going by their documentation

Collapse -
Then make a question about the GS8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Must read further
Collapse -
They need to fix their web page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: more info

But my Logitech Revue had same and it is optional.

Frankly if they can't answer questions why buy Sony?

Collapse -
As someone else asked...
by Pepe7 / July 12, 2013 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

...which TV make/model do you currently have?

FWIW, I connected a media streamer (WD TV Live) to work with my dad's older Sony Trinitron units. He also has one of those rural '50 cable channels for 50 bucks' providers. No DVRs are available and it's coax only to the TV. But at least he didn't have to chop down thirty nice 80' tall trees just to get a satellite signal (LOL).

FWIW, the Sony box doesn't have a tuner built in, so that's where you may have issues. See, the cable box or sat box would be doing the tuning (=modulating), so the HDMI input on the GS8 would be able to accept such a signal. If your (HD?)TV is doing the tuning, then that's where the box wouldn't be used as such- only for sending along internet content to your (HD)TV.

Hope that helps a little more.

All Answers

Collapse -
I think maybe we are all a little confuse here.
by Oldartq / July 11, 2013 4:49 PM PDT

You have a hdtv, does it have hdmi input connection/s? if not ...then what other input does it have? Can I assume to have broadband internet and do you use a router?

Collapse -
Let me share how the Logitech Revue used that HDMI input
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

It basically would switch to that input at times. Tuning was done at the cable decoder so it was of little value.

In the current setup it was even dumber to have the HDMI input on the Revue because we are using the coax connection on the TV.

So to watch TV we use the TV remote to select which source and channel.
To use the Revue (or this Sony) we would use the TV remote to select the HDMI source and the Logitech or Sony remote to work that box.

You don't want to convert your cable to HDMI. Dead end, full of sorrow and woe.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / July 12, 2013 2:19 AM PDT

> > Dead end, full of sorrow and woe.

My thoughts exactly, Bob. Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.