Computer Help forum

Question

Can I Boot an Asus M5A97 R.2 MB from a IDE contoller card ?

by zubb99 / December 1, 2012 5:39 AM PST

I'm upgrading my Windows XP Pro system to a new ASUS M5A97 R.2 motherboard that has no IDE ports. My current system uses 4 IDE hard drives. The new MB has 2 PCI slots. If I install a PCI IDE controller card, can I boot from my current XP Pro sysyem hard drive? The controller card has 2 ports. Will the MB recognize 4 hard drives? Once I have the system working I intend to clone the OS drive onto a new SATA hard drive. I'll welcome any suggestions.
Thank you,
Zubb99

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Boot an Asus M5A97 R.2 MB from a IDE contoller card ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Boot an Asus M5A97 R.2 MB from a IDE contoller card ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not an easy operation
by Willy / December 1, 2012 8:00 AM PST

This a tricky operation or some and not for others. Meaning, it just won't work, period because of h/w. All you can do is try it. that's the best i can offer if you plan to keep the IDE drives. Otherwise, move on to SATA, now. I say this because all those adapter or PCI cards aren't intended to boot from, but if they do they remain the primary drives and cut-out the SATA side. Which is why it becomes tricky. These cheaper adapter just don't always cut it and sorry the OS too becomes a PITA as it wants to work on the originally installed setup. You will need to ghost or clone over and then hope your adapter provides the needed operations to do this. Once done, you can then add the next drive and/or finish the setup. So, you need to try your current primary old drive and using one new drive plus s/w(came with it or you get at support website) -OR- use clonezila to complete this. As you see by my post, it all seems tricky and not for the fate of heart. Also, you're dealing with XP which is a painful OS to work with at times. Now, maybe a good to move on to Win7 and copy only old data over(save beforehand) and see where it goes. Win7 has it own file xfer service feature build-in.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Rarely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2012 8:53 AM PST

Your better bet is to use and IDE to SATA convertor or just clone that drive to some SATA drive and see if the BIOS does the usual IDE EMULATION,. That will get it to boot and then you can do the usual OS repairs.

To clone the IDE to a SATA I would NEVER NEED any of what I wrote so far. I'd use one of those IDE to USB cables.
Bob

Collapse -
Can I Boot an Asus M5A97 R.2 MB from a IDE contoller card ?
by zubb99 / December 2, 2012 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Rarely.

Thanks for the quick responses. I've never used clonezila. I have Norton Ghost 10. If I clone the XP OS hard drive to an SATA drive will I be able to boot from the SATA drive? I'm not sure what you mean regarding using an IDE to USB cable. Are you suggesting booting from an external drive drive through a USB cable? If so, do all motherboards have that feature in their BIOS?.

Collapse -
Use what you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 12:48 AM PST

I don't expect XP to boot and run. Not only does XP have the 127GB disk issue on booting but the change in machine will show you more about why folk may tell you to clean install this round.

-> NO! I see I wrote I use such to clone the drive.

-> AND NO! As you discover UEFI you will see USB booting of many things will now fail.

But if this is your regular BIOS, USB boot is supported but Windows does not support that. I use USB boot to clone drives with Clonezilla and Acronis. Your clone system should have a way to do that.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.