PC Hardware forum

can I add graphics card with hdmi?

by hondochica / November 28, 2012 3:24 AM PST

(is that the right techno lingo?? - 'graphics card with HDMI? - I've just not kept up! - tee hee)

I am considering buying a very inexpensive pc so function solely as my media server: internet video (ABC, CBS etc, netflix, dvd movies) and digital library.

I'm currently looking at the Lenovo Thinkcentre M58 with these (partial) specs:

Win 7 Home OS
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz
2G DDR3 (expandable to 8G)
Integrated High Def audio
Integrated graphics - Intel GMA 4500 gpu/vpu

Unfortunately - they really don't tell me anything about the motherboard - do you need more info? - like extra slot types?

Could I add a HDMI card? or DVI card? to improve compatibility with a 32" TV (yet to buy - am looking now - tough to find with a VGA port!!)

Greatly appreciate your feedback - will answer any questions quickly!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I add graphics card with hdmi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I add graphics card with hdmi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
can I add graphics card with hdmi?
by hondochica / November 28, 2012 3:28 AM PST

Hi again;

Oops! did I post this in the wrong place? It's basically a hardware Q - but also a PC Q - please move if I goofed! (just tell me where you moved it!)

All Answers

Collapse -
Very few laptops accept add on cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 3:29 AM PST

It's a shame the make and model were not in your post but if this is a desktop there are 30 to 40 dollar cards that are fine (look at the ATI 5450 with 1GB RAM)

Collapse -
The MAKE and MODEL was in your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 3:34 AM PST
Collapse -
expansion slots
by hondochica / November 28, 2012 4:42 AM PST

Thanks Bob;

The computer I'm getting is an older, off-lease thinkcentre. doesn't have the Pentium E6600(3.06GHz) listed on Newegg's site, but a P core 2 duo 2.0 GHz. Everything I can find on Lenovo's website indicates the motherboard should have at least 1 1/2 length and 1 full length expansion slot. Guess I'll have to wait till I get the desktop to actually find out what I can do.

thanks though - looks like I should be ok. If I can find out the actual mobo specs, I'll get back here and repost.

Collapse -
Sorry but that card should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: expansion slots

All we need to look at is the mechanical again and that's your work. I can't check that since I don't own the machine.

This card is used many times for just such a PC. There's little else to do but pull the trigger.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / November 28, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Do some research on the model but many of the new Lenovo set ups already have an available HDMI port.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.