How To

Question

Can I add an Access Point to a wireless Home Network

by whitsett / August 20, 2011 6:24 AM PDT

My home network with Cisco's 4200 top-line router has 3 computers hard-wired and a laptop connected wirelessly. My wife's brand new iPad2 disconnects occasionally, like it needs a little more signal, which travels 50' through walls inc. concrete. Wud there be any problem connecting an Access Point down at the end of the house where she uses her iPad2? I could use the ethernet cable from one of the wired desktops. If that would work, the Access Pt wud only be 12 ft. from her iPad2? Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I add an Access Point to a wireless Home Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I add an Access Point to a wireless Home Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Using the ethernet cable from one of the wired desktops
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

would mean that that desktop would not have network access.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 6:48 AM PDT

You can add what they call a WAP or google this "How to use a router as a WAP?"
Bob

Collapse -
one bit more
by whitsett / August 20, 2011 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Didn't have room for all
<div class="previewSubtext">by whitsett
In Reply to: <span class="previewReplyTo">Clarification request: Using the ethernet cable from one of the wired desktops - New!
</div>Thank you. The desktop whose ethernet cable wud be unplugged to use for the Access Point is no longer in use, since my wife now has a new laptop and new iPad2. I wasn't sure the Access Point would work with the long cable going back to one of the 4 ports at the main router. Also was a little concerned about the two strong wireless N signals, hoping they wouldn't conflict.
Also I want to feed intrernet sig to some HDTVs, and the access pt. would be very close to two of them, and the Linksys 4200 real close to another.
If there were any reason not to have the access point, or if it wouldn't work from a 75 ft cable coming from a router port then I was going to first try raising the 4200 router up about 10 ft.
I sincerelty appreciate any suggestions and guidance. Re: >>"technical help, please be sure to include all your system info" OS is Win 7, and I have the Cisco 4200, also a still-in-the-box unused Cisco 3000 router; another wireless router not being used, and the Access Point which I used briefly last year.
One of my problems is my age where it's difficult to grasp things as I once could.
Thanks again,

Collapse -
Hard to read your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: one bit more

The questions might be in there so I'll answer ONE that popped out.

It seems you think the wifi could conflict. This is why today's routers let us change the channel.
Bob

Collapse -
some other answers,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: one bit more

The 75ft cable would present no problems.
A router, on the end of that cable, would allow other wired connections to be made but a WAP would not. The WAP does not normally have more than 1 ethernet port so all other devices would have to be wireless.
However, depending on your requirements, a WAP or a Router would work fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.