Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can I access my Outlook e-mail from another computer?

by eliphant0723 / January 3, 2007 9:58 AM PST

Hi, I'm going to Florida for a week and I need to know how to access my Outlook e-mail on my friends grandmothers computer. I have Windows XP SP2 with Outlook 2000 and Verizon DSL. My friend tells me his grandmother has dialup but doesn't know what she's using, she just says he & I can use her e-mail but doesn't what she has. Can you please let me know what to look for so I can figure out how I can use my Outlook e-mail on her computer? Thanks, Larry

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I access my Outlook e-mail from another computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I access my Outlook e-mail from another computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook remote
by Kees Bakker / January 3, 2007 3:55 PM PST

The answer depends on the kind of email account YOU have, not on what your friends grandmother has in Florida. Is it is a 'normal' pop3-account, or is it some web-based account like hotmail and gmail. So please tell more (but don't tell your email-address).

Collapse -
More info on how can I read my Outlook e-mail
by eliphant0723 / January 5, 2007 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook remote

I guess the real question is how do I read & use e-mail on another computer since my e-mails transfer from Verizon over into Outlook?
I looked my Outlook issues. I have verizon DSL at home, still don't know yet what ISP I'll be using down in Florida but it sounds like I'll have to use a dial up ISP (I'll find out next week). Now on my Verizon DSL at home, it's set up so my verizon e-mail ( automatically goes into my Outlook program and that's when I read & use my e-mails. Since all of my mail automatically transfers from Verizon into Outlook I don't use Verizon for reading or using e-mail other than the automatic transfer feature. Thanks, Larry

Collapse -
Larry,, It Doesn't 'Automatically' Transfer From Verizon...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 6, 2007 7:16 AM PST your Outlook.. First, Outlook was originally configured by your or by the Verizon software so it would "find" your Verizon address..Next, in order for it to be downloaded to your Outlook program, you must first open Outlook, and then you must press the "Send/Receive" button while on the internet, at which time it downloads to Outlook.

So at this time, at any other computer in the world, you can choose to access your Verizon mail in a couple of ways.(All have been described in the previous answers.) First point though... The mail that has already been downloaded to your home Outlook program, you will not be able to see.. It's no longer on the Verizon server and as such, if you need a particular message or group of messages from your Outlook program, you'll need to send those messages to yourself so they're placed on the server again making them available to you on your webmail.

Next, all future messages can be accessed by opening your webmail from the link as I described earlier or by configuring the mail program on your new computer (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) to download it. In fact, if you'd like to test it at your home computer, click on the webmail link I provided earlier and you should be able to see all mail that's on the server.

Does that now make sense.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Accessing email from afar
by tallin / January 12, 2007 6:24 AM PST

Read your thread with interest. I have both gmail, hotmail and Outlook express 6.0. I can access the first two direct from anywhere in the world, and also my ISP'S 'Post office' within my providers account with no problems at all. I always take on floppy or CD (when traveling) my address book from Outlook Express which is most convenient for keeping in touch.

Collapse -
Hey, fellas, don't you think you should FIRST...?
by micheljgaudet / July 5, 2008 7:26 PM PDT

I have been reading all of the responses regarding people asking about their email issues.

I am not an EXPERT by any stretch, but one thing I know... YA' HAVE TO MAKE SURE, when answering a question regarding email, that the little ****** you're answering to KNOWS what-in-the-heck email is!!!

I do not have enough toes and fingers to count how many times I have had to explain that the SOFTWARE is NOT the email PROVIDER! I have to ALWAYS make sure to first say something like, "You DO realise the your <insert email software name here> is NOT where your software GOES to when someone sends you an email, right? The program is only YOUR 'front-end' that FETCHES your email where it is waiting for you, which is at your ISP."

Of course, for Hot-mail, Yahoo, MSN and other such people, there would not be this conversation. I would just say something like, "Why are you concerned about this topic? This has NOTHING to do with what email software is on the OTHER person's system, and ya' don't have to even THINK about your ISP's website. You just GO to your web-based email account like you normally do. And it has NOTHING to do with HOW the person 'surfs' the web. NOW GO!"... lol

It is AMAZING what people go through regarding email. I have found the EASIEST way is to JUST USE THE ISP's email set-up.

No, let's NOT get into the lack-luster FILTERING that MOST ISPs have for us to try setting-up for the SPAM... ewwww.

By-the-way, Portable Thunderbird beats ALL other email software. hands down.

Collapse -
by ecbcdr / May 13, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

I've just changed to Windows 7 and Outlook e-mail. I am able to access my Outlook e-mail via internet from my own computer, using my address, password and clicking Hotmail. Will I be able to send and receive from another computer, while in Europe? (going soon)

Collapse -
Re: email
by Kees Bakker / May 13, 2010 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: e-mail

If it's a hotmail-account, you can access that via any browser. If it works at home in Internet Explorer `(easy to try) it will work everywhere. Try or and see if it works.

Be sure your address book is online also, not on your PC.

Collapse -
Outlook Business 2007 access from another computer
by michelleb5764 / March 16, 2012 4:47 AM PDT

I will be at my parents and need to access my Outlook email. Its a normal pop3 account . I have a Dell Latitude D630 How do I do this? Can I do this via the internet with my username and password?

I don't know the link I need to access. I know I have one for my work, it is a Web Access link. Help?

Collapse -
If It's A POP3 Account, Then You Probably Have Webmail Too
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 12:43 PM PDT

As such, you should be able to access your email account using the webmail link.. Unfortunately, you haven't told us the provider of your account.. As just an example, users of Verizon DSL can access their mail by visiting the website below, then typing in the same username and password as their ISP's Outlook account requires..

Other internet service providers have similar websites for checking mail online.. Of course, you won't be able to actually open any mail that you've downloaded and saved to Outlook but new mail will show up and you can send and read the new stuff.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Verizon Has Webmail Options..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2007 11:20 PM PST

Although you may be accustomed to using the Outlook program, if you're using Verizon's e-mail address (yourusername @, Verizon has an online "webmail" option that can be accessed using the link below.. Instead of opening Outlook on the remote computer, simply click on the link, type in your Verizon username and password, then click on "Enter". At the second page, click on the "Folders" link on the left side and you should be able to figure it out from there.

You can access your Verizon webmail from any computer in the world.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
a reply to: Can I access my Outlook e-mail from another comp
by ron834 / January 4, 2007 4:40 AM PST

yes, you can.

in outlook you need to go into the account setting and set it up so that you can leave a copy of the message on the server. Then at your grandma's house you can either go online to get them, or set up outlook down there (remember that when u set it up down there you must choose to leavre a copy of the message on the server)

Collapse -
a couple more options...
by santuccie / January 9, 2007 7:14 AM PST

I addressed your scenario some time ago. Personally, I use Thunderbird Portable. A "Lightning" extension gives me the integrated calendar like Outlook has, while another extension (I forget the name) allows me to paste my signature with a keyboard shortcut. There are many more nifties as well. Using Thunderbird Portable, you can carry your e-mail on a flashdrive and use it on any computer just like it's your own.

If you're mostly concerned with the actual text, and not so much with HTML images, you could use JBMail. It doesn't even download the e-mail, so it remains on the server. In addition, it fits on a floppy disk. It's a tiny bit trickier to use, though.

If any of these options interest you, I believe these are your server settings:

Mail server settings
Incoming mail server (POP3):
Outgoing mail server (SMTP):
Your Verizon Online user name
Your Verizon Online password

News server settings
News (NNTP) server:
Your Verizon Online user name
Your Verizon Online password

Have fun at your grandmother's house!

Collapse -
What he's trying to tell you about Thunderbird
by Razzl / January 11, 2007 10:58 PM PST

I'm not sure somebody who doesn't have a portable usb flash drive would understand you, so let me expand a little: determine that the computer you'll be using has a usb port (preferably a newer usb 2.0, but since it won't say anywhere on the computer, cross your fingers if they don't know); buy a portable usb flash drive (even the small 215 mb ones will do for just email); plug in your drive at home and download to the drive ("dongle" is what they're commonly called) a copy of Mozilla Thunderbird from any of the numerous frees sites on the web (it's a linux version of Outlook that looks and works the same); in Thunderbird use the toolbar menu to import copies of all your old email from Outlook to Thunderbird, and now you're good to go. You can either just read your new mail from webmail (including, don't forget, at any local library's computers) and download it to your home computer later, keeping the dongle in case you need to refer to old mail, or you can configure the dongle to capture the new mail in Thunderbird and import it from Thunderbird to Outlook when you get back home.

If the usb device says it is "U3 compliant" that means you can download a small version of Thunderbird from the U3 website (U3 is a system that allows large programs to be reduced for use with flash drives).

You might also consider going au naturel in email terms and just logging in to web mail wherever you are and leaving the messages on the web server until you get home (if nobody will be sending you messages with confidential info about accounts).

Collapse -
Would it not be easier???
by Wayne Bernard / January 11, 2007 11:46 PM PST

Just to turn off your computer and access it from verizons website? I don't know a lot about computers; but it seems to me that if he turned of his computer that his emails would remain on the verizon server. If this is correct, he would only have to access his verizon account from his friends grandmother's computer. The jumpdrive is still a good idea for saving important email messages. I know it has worked for me, before I bought a laptop to take on all my trips away from home and the office. Hope it works for you too!

Collapse -
Email access from another computer
by edpapp / January 12, 2007 7:15 AM PST

An easy way is to leave your home computer connected and access via the GotoMycomputor program which you would install before leaving.

Collapse -
What if?
by tallin / January 12, 2007 7:24 AM PST

Not on for me, what if there is s thunderstorm while I am away, could come back to a computer that was the worse for wear!

Collapse -
Can I access my Outlook e-mail from another computer?
by Dwimar / January 12, 2007 10:23 AM PST

All I do is go to Enter your email address and password you would enter for your isp. Works wherever you are.

Collapse -
Can I access my Outlook E-mail from another computer?
by patricktanhockseng / January 12, 2007 10:43 AM PST

You may resent the Outlook Mail which you think you would like to use on your holiday. Resent the mail to your own Email account and before the mail is sent by back to you, click the Outlook Email account setup and go to advance and then click Leave a copy. This will help to leave a copy on the net and can be access anywhere you go.

Collapse -
Access Outlook Email from another computer? Of course!
by Dad2JTK / January 12, 2007 12:28 PM PST

Folks read the question.
The person asked can they read OUTLOOK email from a another PC. They didnt ask can you use other email programs to read email!

But the answer is sure you can, One way would be to set up a remote terminal server connection. Another maybe do use way.....or.. basically what is the person asking. Easiest way might be to just set up "Mail Relayer" see

P.S if your grandmother is still on dial up..tell here to spend another 5 bucks a month or so and jump to DSL or AOL Broadband. She be spoiled by the speed and things will work much better for her.

Collapse -
by DerekRose81 / December 2, 2012 8:27 PM PST

I've done this. The only difference however is that I wasn't using logmein, but beanywhere instead.

Collapse -
by Ryo Hazuki / January 17, 2007 12:12 AM PST
Collapse -
I had the same problem at work, here is the solution
by jaquezrd / August 6, 2008 5:21 AM PDT

I had the same issue at work, after I download my email from the outlook installed in my office, I could not check my emails from other computers because were deleted. Here is an article I found about how to configure it, to leave a copy in the mail server so you can check anywhere you are. I hope it helps.

Collapse -
(NT) email access
by Alex Hurtado / July 8, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reading Outlook e-mails from another computer ?
by Papa Echo / July 8, 2010 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: email access

Yes- for e-mails not yet downloaded. 2 ways. Yes. 2 ways. Maybe 3.

1. Set up your account at the other computer. configure Outlook to "leave a copy at the server", so that when you get back home, you can still download these e-mails. You have to be aware, tho, that the mails will be saved at that other computer, and you need to delete the mails, and also clear up the deleted mail folder. Lastly, delete your account at that computer.

2. Your Outkook e-mail client uses the POP services of your ISP [or other private nail server.] If ISP provided, they usually have a web-based version whuch you can access via the www.

3.You can also use something like THIS

Collapse -
Computer newbies forum: Can I access my Outlook e-mail from
by joseph_4 / November 23, 2012 2:00 PM PST

This post was not good for me because i have done this but my problem has not been solved.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.