Computer Newbies

General discussion

Can Get Norton Updates, but Can't Connect to the Internet

by bfd72409 / December 16, 2010 12:47 AM PST

My wife has a Sony Vaio running Windows XP. I can get updates for Norton Internet Security on it, but I cannot connect to the internet using either Windows Explorer or Google Chrome.

I don't know a lot about computers. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500, that connects to the internet just fine, so it is not a problem with my ISP. On the Vaio it finds the wireless connection just fine, however, after being connected for 2 hours there have been 1,679 packets sent and 2,332 received. On the Dell after being connected the same time, it has sent 34,805 packets and received 49,426. I am not sure what that means, if anything.

I have run Norton and it has not found any viruses on the Vaio. I think I remember awhile back that there may have been a virus that Norton found and repaired.

Any help with getting it connected to the internet would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Get Norton Updates, but Can't Connect to the Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Get Norton Updates, but Can't Connect to the Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just In Case It's Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 16, 2010 2:40 AM PST

If you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get them to work, then fine, but frequently the problem malware prevents the programs from running correctly. If that's the case, then download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

First, after transferring it to the problem machine, run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
There are 3 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all the background programs.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet, then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.......

Grif

Collapse -
Is this the best course of action for my problem?
by michaels1715 / December 19, 2010 10:13 AM PST

My son was here at my house doing something on his laptop (he doesn't have internet where he is, so takes advantage of my wireless when he comes to visit). Suddenly, a message popped up saying that his "computer being attacked by a trojan horse" and then to "click here to start scan"

Okay, so I am not a computer expert, but I do know enough to realize this is VERY bad. I also know my son was being an idiot doing something I have told him not to do. He didn't listen as a teenager, I don't know why I thought he'd listen as an adult....

Anyway, I believe the above instructions may be what he should try first, but let me tell you a little more about the situation first.

As soon as he showed me the popup to ask me if I knew what it was, I told him not to touch anything. I was pretty sure saying "yes" was bad, but I couldn't remember if I had heard saying "no" or closing the window was bad too. I know, the whole situation is worse than "bad". I opened his McAfee security, and saw that everything was turned on and looked normal. I clicked a McAfee link that tried to open an internet page, and as it so happens, he cannot get on the internet now. He keeps getting an "infected" warning with the fake-looking windows symbol.

I started a McAfee scan, but then he had to go to work, so he turned the computer off for now. While I will help him, I am not going to fix this for him - maybe when he sees how serious of a situation it is, and how difficult to fix it is, if it is fixable at all, he'll think twice before doing what he was doing again.

He has a Dell Studio 1745 that runs Windows 7, and came with a year of McAfee security (which provided him with a false sense of safety). There are 2 years remaining on the 3-year accidental damage waranty that was bought for the computer. I am not sure what other info would be helpful.

If you could let me know if the above directions are where he should start, I would greatly appreciate it. The directions include doing things I am not familiar with, although I did just read through it twice, relatively quickly. If I set my mind to it, I can figure out just about anything (except for how to get my children to listen to my advice - I need help in that department). I would also like to mention that he does not have any important information on the computer, so is not worried about losing anything. He just used it to play - movies, songs, facebook, etc. So if wiping out everything on the computer is a possibility, and it would be easier, please let me know.

My last question is about our wireless network. Since he was doing this while connected to our wireless internet, there wouldn't be anyway for problems to transfer to anyone else's computer, would there? We have a Verizon modem, and that's as far as my knowledge goes regarding the internet connections. I don't think it's possible, but it's nagging in the back of my mind, so please let me know about that.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.
Sharon

Collapse -
Yes, Follow The Instructions I Posted
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 11:03 PM PST

It should help as to removing the infection. Once that's done, if there are still any issues in connecting to the internet, post back.

As to your wireless network issue, it IS possible for an infected machine to infect other machines on the network, IF they're turned on and IF there are not firewalls and security systems in place. Generally though, most of the newer rogue antispyware programs don't reproduce themselves between computers on a network because they usually aren't worms or viruses. Still, because of the possibility, make sure to enable a firewall on the secondary computers on the network and run spyware/malware scans with the Malwarebytes, and/or SuperAntispyware.. They're good tools for general use anyway.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by michaels1715 / December 21, 2010 1:08 AM PST

Thanks, we will give your instructions a try, probably sometime over the weekend. I'll let you know what happens. Happy Holidays to all Happy

Collapse -
Follow Griff's recommendations then ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2010 6:47 AM PST

you will likely have to also repair your Winsock (the key there was your thought that you had removed a virus earlier and many think malware is a virus).

The removal of some of the malware and a couple of the viruses and trojans will corrupt the Winsock. Fortunately the repair isn't all that difficult.

First try winsockxpfix - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

You could also follow the instructions here -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

If you can now connect properly you are done. If you still can't follow the instructions at this link to repair the LSP (layered Service Privider) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial59.html

As another alternative the utility at this link can repair both Winsock and TC/IP Stack =
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-winsock-lsp-issues-and-reset-tcpip-stack-to-repair-internet-connectivity/

Collapse -
Thanks for the Help! Problem Solved!
by bfd72409 / December 20, 2010 12:47 AM PST

Thanks Griff, Edward, and pgc3!!! I downloaded and ran all of the programs suggested by Grif and also used the winsockxpfix suggested by Edward. The problem resolved once I used the winsockxpfix. I am not sure which one/combo fixed the problem, but it is resolved now! Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Collapse -
Always glad to see a happy camper ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 20, 2010 3:49 AM PST

and if Malwarebytes and/or Super Anti-Spyware found anything you likely need all for the fix.

Your Anti-Virus or some other malware remover likely already removed the specific malware but some types of malware inject parts of themselves into the Winsock and their removal corrupts it disabling HTTP access while normally allowing FTP and SMNP protocols to function.

Then again sometimes corruption of the Winsock "just happens".

Collapse -
(NT) Glad WE Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 6:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Did I post my question the wrong way Grif?
by michaels1715 / December 20, 2010 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: Glad WE Could Help !

I posted my question in reply to Grif's instructions - I thought it was preferred that people search and not start a new thread unless necessary. However, I did not get any replies to my question. If I did something wrong, please let me know what it was. Thank you.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, I Went To Bed.. See Above
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 11:04 PM PST
Collapse -
Issues
by pgc3 / December 17, 2010 12:06 AM PST

And of course you have checked your homepage setting in internet options. Which variant of Norton are you using? Have you checked the firewall setting(s) in Norton and Windows? Over time I have seen issues with the NORTON firewall creating issues, recommend shutting off Norton F/W and using the Windows F/W. First look at your homepage setting, see if has changed, as prior posters mentioned it could be a hijacker or other forms of malware. But do the simple things first. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.