TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Can Blu-ray read external hard drive ?

by nareshkumarnunna / December 3, 2011 2:08 AM PST

If there is any blu-ray player which can read large external hard drives, please suggest.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Blu-ray read external hard drive ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Blu-ray read external hard drive ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2011 2:15 AM PST

It will be a while for the products to handle these new 3TB drives.

Collapse -
Answer
What do you mean when...
by ahtoi / December 4, 2011 3:18 PM PST

you say "read" (like a computer)? How large is large? I have a Samsung that can play my music and photo (it's a 320Gb. 2.5" Transcend).

Collapse -
Answer
by 3coursedinner / December 4, 2011 8:35 PM PST

Are you talking about media files (movies, pictures, music, etc.) and attaching via USB to a blu ray player? If so, I'm familiar with the Oppo brand which isn't cheap. The external drive is limited to 2 TB in size.
I'm not familiar with other brands but Yamaha has a player $100 cheaper than the Oppo and it has a USB and can play pictures and music. I didn't see whether it can play movie files (ISO or MPG4 or whatever) -- you'd have to check the Yamaha web site,

Collapse -
by nareshkumarnunna / December 5, 2011 9:02 AM PST

Myne is only 1 TB capacity. Hard drive should be in NTFS or FAT32 or both ?

Which particular model in Yamaha, Oppo, Samsung can read external hard drives ?

I bought a Sony TV. So, it would be great if you could suggest any Sony model if exists.

Collapse -
blu ray external drive
by 3coursedinner / December 5, 2011 10:37 PM PST

As I said, I'm familiar with the Oppo so I know it reads FAT, FAT32 and NTFS but other brands may or may not support all file systems. All will probably require the external drive have its own power supply. You didn't answer as to what you would have on the external drive which is important as different brand players with USB may or may not support your files on the external. Oppo supports ISO among others and Samsung may not. I am not going to search for all applicable models for you but I did a quick look:
Oppo BDP93
Yamaha BD-A1010
Samsung BD-D7500
Again, not all support all types of files. YOU have to know what files you want to access on the external and YOU have to check the different brands to see if their models support your files. More than likely mimimum price is $350 of not higher. Good luck.

Collapse -
by nareshkumarnunna / December 7, 2011 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: blu ray external drive

Hi 3coursedinner. Thanks for your response.

I want to play videos on my hard drive. Most of them are .avi, .vob, .mp4 formats.

Collapse -
Generally, I believed a media player...
by ahtoi / December 7, 2011 9:34 AM PST

would support more video formats than a BDplayer would. Just my thought on this.

Collapse -
Blu Ray Reading External Drive
by 3coursedinner / December 7, 2011 9:04 PM PST

I did check the Yamaha web site and there are a couple of models with 1 or more USB ports. Unfortunately, the specs are not specific as to what can be read and played via the USB -- it does mention JPEG, MPEG. There are other compatible media files but only via disk, not USB.
I don't think you're going to find (other than the Oppo) USB equipped blu ray players supporting a wide variety of media files off a USB connected hard drive, especially VOB. The Oppo is not cheap ($499).
Like someone said, you may want to go the media player route where the files are actually played on the media player and transmitted to the network connected TV (wireless or ethernet connected). I'm not a media player person so you would have to start a new thread and ask those who do use them for advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.