Laptops forum

Question

Can anyone recommend Vizio laptops?

by agl467 / April 10, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

Vizio is fairly new to the laptop market but got a high rating from Consumer Reports--just below Apple. Vizio just came out with a 15" solid-state touchscreen laptop with discrete graphics, but I can't find any current reviews of it (April 2013). Can anyone recommend Vizio laptops, or the CT15T-B0 in particular?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone recommend Vizio laptops?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone recommend Vizio laptops?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's value.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 10:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vizio laptops
by agl467 / April 11, 2013 3:28 AM PDT

Thanks for the links. I have taken a look at the reviews written in January, when the new Vizio laptops debuted at CES. I find it puzzling that there are no customer reviews of either of the two 15" Thin and Light Touch that were released recently. I'm reluctant to buy something that doesn't seem to be selling too well.

Collapse -
Let me share this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Vizio laptops

Look at the top of the CNET Laptop Buying advice forum and you see the stickies at the top.

Now that you see that, I added a link to best sellers at some prominent .com site. Here's the scoop on that. There's a reason why those laptops are in the top 10 or 100. If you want to pick a winner, look there.

I know this sounds horrible for a fledgling company with a possibly great product but do you want to be a test subject? Most don't.

Also, I rarely advise which model to get. I do know that gamers tend to be hard on laptops so we know to ask them if they are OK with 2 year life spans.
Bob

Collapse -
stickies?
by agl467 / April 11, 2013 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me share this.

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what "stickies" are.

Collapse -
A sticky in a forum is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: stickies?
Collapse -
stickies
by agl467 / April 11, 2013 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: A sticky in a forum is

This forum is great. People actually answer your questions! I'm thinking I may not see the stickies because I have an old computer using Wi dows XP (with an unreliable "n" key!) I haven't been able to upgrade Internet Explorer. That's why I'm in the market for a new computer!

Collapse -
Scary reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 10:59 PM PDT

That one about the power adapter is strange, scary and points to a future parts issue.

Collapse -
Amazon reviews
by agl467 / April 12, 2013 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Scary reviews.

The reason I was considering Vizio is that Consumer Reports rates that CT15-A2 third in its ratings of 15-inch laptops. The 2 above it are Macs. I'm looking for a 15-inch touchscreen laptop with discrete graphics. I took a look at the Samsung Chronos 7 but wasn't impressed. Initial reviews of that computer at the Best Buy site indicated that a number of people returned the computer. Also, some had to put solid state in it. The Dell 15z's screen doesn't have enough resolution for me. The Asus U500 isn't even out yet. Maybe I should just go with a Mac, even though it doesn't have a touchscreen.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2013 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Amazon reviews

As folk want more DPI (high DPI is what that Retina display is) you find comments like this. I guess the days of 75 to 100ish DPI are over?

And if you go with high DPI screens, I advice an Apple or Windows 8. Windows 7 on over 100DPI is still problematic and you see folk that demanded a 1080 15 inch screen discover something, well, you're doing the research so you would know the issue well.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
2 Thumbs up
by mellaby / April 12, 2013 12:43 PM PDT

I've got a ct14-a4 in Dec 12. So far this laptop has been just great. 6-8 sec boots, Microsoft signature OS, very fast response on any tasks. This one does not have a touch screen but I don't mine. For the $ 599 price I couldn't find a better laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.