Linux forum

General discussion

Can anyone help with uninstall information for xandros 4

by RAXNDTMMJM / March 31, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

Can anyone help with uninstall information for xandros 4.

I ran what I thought was a live demo disk of xandros 4. it wasn?t a live demo and the disk installed a copy of the programme onto my hard drive. If I find I don?t get on with the programme how do I uninstall it and get my disk space back.

I am not really technically minded and don?t want to mess with system files.

Widows XP Home, Acer Aspire 5102WLMI,50gb x2.
Can anyone help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone help with uninstall information for xandros 4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone help with uninstall information for xandros 4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, removal is "technical."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2007 7:27 AM PDT

I'll just write how it's done without any pretense that it's easy.

1. I delete the xandros partition.
2. I rewrite the MBR with XP's recovery console.
3. If I need to reclaim the disk space I boot up partition magic and merge the space back into the C: partition.

That's it. Just 3 steps that I'll decline to write in detail about.

For the non-technical owner the RESTORE CDs are likely the best choice after they make one more backup of what they can't lose.

Bob

Collapse -
Help with uninstall information for xandros 4.
by RAXNDTMMJM / March 31, 2007 7:38 AM PDT

Thanks for the info ? if I use the restore disk will it remove the extra partition

Collapse -
Most restore CDs will do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

I can't say all do, but all I've used have.

Bob

Collapse -
Help with uninstall information for xandros 4
by RAXNDTMMJM / April 3, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

Thanks for your advice. I want to really try the xandros but if I have to give up it?s nice to know I can go back.
Thanks again

Martin

Collapse -
No restore will not remove the extra partition
by intrepi / April 28, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

If you want you can go to Xandros website, click on support, go to forums and you will find that there are many there who are highly technical and will help you for free.

Collapse -
how did you do that?
by clsgis / April 28, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

I'm amazed that anyone could install a GNU+X+Linux distribution *by accident*. Every distribution I have ever used puts up big warnings. Warning, you are about to change your partition table. All data on the drive could be lost. Warning, we are about to create file systems. All data in the affected partitions *will* be lost. Warning, back up your files before proceeding. Warning, you are about to remove an essential package. Your system could become unusable. (Debian will say that if you try to remove Perl or sysvinit or something.) Tell us what you did. Xandros is a professional quality distro with paid staff; I'm sure they'd want to know.

Collapse -
Problems with Live Demo
by RAXNDTMMJM / April 28, 2007 5:47 PM PDT
In reply to: how did you do that?

No such warning, believe me if there had been I would have aborted, I have used live Demo's before with no problems this one KNOPPIX 5.1.1 issued with the LINUX magazine simply fired straight off.
It doesn't give me a big problem, just need to get some time to get my head round the system.
Can you share the same Firefox & Thunderbird accounts or do I need to set everything up again with the Linux system.
How/Can I share documents from windows Star Office via the Linux Desktop.
How do I protect system files so I don't accidentally move/delete any with my laptop mouse pad, I have a lot to learn. Anyone know of any quick start info sheets to help.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I can confirm that the restore operation does not clear Linux or the partition.

Martin

Collapse -
I don't think it "installed itself"...
by scott_789 / April 28, 2007 11:47 PM PDT

in what I'd consider "the traditional way" unless you suddenly got a GRUB menu when you boot you computer.

I was curious about this so I read a little, and it seems that KNOPPIX can make a file or space on your hard drive and write to it. So to "uninstall" you'd just delete the file, it's not exactly a partition is it? ("knoppix.img" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix )

You can also view your Win XP filesystem through Knoppix, but not write to it, is that correct? Can you run Knoppix without the CD?

Check this out: http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix51-en.html --
you might want to read the "ntfs-3g" section.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_FAQ

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Live_CD_Tips -- (see: "Persistent Disk Image" section.)

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ -- (3 File transfer between Knoppix and Windows or other systems)

The Knoppix system files should still be on CD so you shouldn't be able to modify them. You shouldn't be able to modify your Win XP files either. (I wasn't sure what "system files" you're talking about.)

BTW: I have a touchpad on an Acer as well. I configured the xorg.conf file to disable most of the "convenient" features that the touchpad is defaulted to. If you are able to modify it and want to know my entries let me know.

I guess that Knoppix version comes with Beryl as well. Sounds interesting. I might have to check it out!

Collapse -
Knoppix 5.1.1
by RAXNDTMMJM / April 29, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

You can also view your Win XP file system through Knoppix, but not write to it, is that correct?

Reply not really looked that deeply.

Can you run Knoppix without the CD?

Reply Yes it dual boots! My opening screen now gives me the option of various start ups including Windows XP, Xandros 4, Safe Video, MS Windows - this takes me directly to my Acer System Restore Screen and Configure (expert).

Yes it has got Beryl 3D desktop

Collapse -
My apologies, I think I got a little confused
by scott_789 / April 29, 2007 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Knoppix 5.1.1

I just noticed, in your first (and last) post you mentioned Xandros 4, but a couple posts back you had KNOPPIX 5.1.1, which was what I went by.

From what I read here, here, and at wikipedia, Xandros doesn't have a Live CD, and it's a premium Linux distro. You may have installed a 30-day trial version.

In any event, my apologies that I didn't believe you that it was actually installed. You know, you could decide to just go dual-boot with a Linux distro now, since you're (inadvertently) there anyway.

You can view the partition(s) that Xandros made thru your Win Xp Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. This site (although Ubuntu related) has excellent info on dual-booting. You can use a distro's installer to resize the partion. I only allotted about 10GB for mine --5.5gb for root, 4.5gb for /home, and 1GB for swap. Making a FAT32 partition is helpful too, for swapping files between the two OS's. To be on the safe side you could defrag first. This standalone freeware defragger will move your data to the beginning of your WinXP partition better than the Windows one will.

Just wanted to clear that up. My apologies again. I'll shutup now! Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.