Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Can Anyone Help With Password not Working Sometimes

by dennphill / March 26, 2013 11:23 AM PDT

Home Wifi network working just fine. Password with WPA2-PSK key was set up and working fine at my office desktop with a TP-Link N-router, TL-WR1043ND...and connects OK for my laptop by Wifi. Also works fine with my new TV (smart LG 47LM7600) which I put on the Wifi network, as well as my Sony BluRay player that is also connected by Wifi...and also my new ROKU XD HD player in my bedroom Wifi connection for that TV. Six months ago I bought my wife a laptop and it works fine on the Wifi network on her desk two rooms away from my PC and router. Here's the issue: Several months ago my father-in-law came with his laptop and we set him up with the Wifi password - worked OK till the last day he left. Since then, he cannot log on to the Wifi network. His laptop sees the network, but when he puts in the key (password) it says it cannot connect to the network. I put in the password and it say the same. BTW, my brother-in-law was visiting a month or so ago - same problem...cannot connect to my Wifi network. Father-in-law visiting again for a week and I'd like to have him connected. Any suggestions? Network is fine...just some visiting laptops can't seem to connect. I am certain of my password. Multiple tries don't change anything. To show my father-in-law the password, I started up my laptop (on the wireless network) to show him the actual password. So it's not miss-typing errors. I don't want to reset up the whole home Wifi network with another password. Any ideas? What's the problem when you put in the correct password and some laptops won't connect? Thanks for the attention.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Anyone Help With Password not Working Sometimes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Anyone Help With Password not Working Sometimes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Thoughts
by huskyhond / March 27, 2013 8:54 AM PDT

I think its either the signal strength or the WLAN channel conflicting with your neighbour. ( I assume its the 'cannot connect' from windows)

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion, huskyhond
by dennphill / March 27, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts

...don't think that's the issue. Signal strength is great. A few neighbors have wireless LANs but I have no conflict problem or issues with new devices getting on the WiFi network...but the two in-laws (new, WIN 7) laptops see the network, but when the password is entered the thing chugs for about 10-15 seconds then says 'cannot connect.' We spent hours looking at troubleshooting. Nothing hidden in my network...nothing wrong with mine and my wife's laptops. Tried deleting network profiles in father-in-law's laptop - all to no avail. Pretty frustrating when you others problems and it ends up with their going from WEP to WPA or some such and then saying all is fine...or they realized they had CAPS LOCK on when entering PW and now all's hunky-dory. That's no help. Thanks for the time though. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.