Windows Legacy OS forum

Can anyone help me get rid of this BSOD?

by Crate1ctbs / December 9, 2012 7:03 AM PST

I have a dell inspirion which is updated to 2gb. I downloaded Windows 8 and upon the first reboot the screen turned black and I can only access F2 and F12.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone help me get rid of this BSOD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone help me get rid of this BSOD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Can you boot to Safe Mode?
by wpgwpg / December 9, 2012 7:10 AM PST

If you can boot to Safe Mode, you can change your display resolution to 640 x 480 which should allow you to boot up normally. You probably need a video driver which you should be able to download from Dell's web site by putting in your service tag.

Collapse -
Can't boot to anything!
by Crate1ctbs / December 9, 2012 10:54 AM PST

I am unable to boot to any mode. After the Dell splash screen the monitor turns black. Forgot to give system info: Dell Inspirion 3000 Running Windows XP Upgraded to 2 GB. Contacted Dell and Microsoft and they both said that it may be either a BIOS upgrade is needed or a video driver upgrade. All I know is that there is no way that I can get past this black screen.

Collapse -
Inspiron 3000
by pgc3 / December 9, 2012 12:23 PM PST

Is this Inspiron the desktop 3000 or L/T? How did you go about loading Win 8? Do you have the original OS disks? A little more information or your procedures might help.

Collapse -
Inspirion 3000
by Crate1ctbs / December 9, 2012 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Inspiron 3000

Forgive me, it is a desktop. Windows 8 was loaded via download from Microsoft. There is no OS disk. The black screen came after the first, and only, reboot. I have tried connecting different monitors and connecting my netbook only for the same result, a black screen after the Dell splash screen. Thanks.

Collapse -
Given the story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 12:07 AM PST

You need to execute your disaster plan. Get your files off the HDD if you forgot then restore from your backup or OS you have to re-install.

If you had no disaster plan, then you make one, obtain CDs as needed.

Collapse -
Given the story
by Crate1ctbs / December 10, 2012 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: Given the story.

It would be nice if I could re-install. I have the OS CD but it just won't happen with the black screen. Believe me, re-installing the OS was at the top of my "did" list.

Collapse -
Then no reinstall? Restore from the backup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Given the story

I can't imagine no backup when installing an OS. There must have been a plan.

Let's say there was no backup. Then it's like a car with a flat tire and no spare. We have to decide if we want to tow it into the shop for a fix or go buy a spare tire.

Either way fixes the car.

Collapse -
Then no reinstall...
by Crate1ctbs / December 10, 2012 3:37 AM PST

How correct you are. I know that there is nothing wrong with the monitor. I tried to reinstall Windows with another hard drive and got the same result. I know the hard drive works. So if the monitor works and the hard drive works could it be something like the video driver, graphics card, or what??? I am trying not to have to take it to the shop simply because of the computer's age. Other than it's agre it has been a good computer until this happened.

Collapse -
Looking at a Dell 3000 specs (link, comment.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 4:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Looking at a Dell 3000...
by Crate1ctbs / December 10, 2012 5:20 AM PST

I would love to go back to a supported OS, however, I cannot get this computer to reinstall Windows 7 that was installed on the computer. I wonder if I tried XP would it take?

Collapse -
Looking at its age.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 5:35 AM PST

There are many reasons for the issues. Some push back at repairing the machine. I've re-checked your posts and can't see where you tried wiping the drive and installing any OS cleanly.

Collapse -
Looking at it's age
by Crate1ctbs / December 10, 2012 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Looking at its age.

Again you are correct, I haven't tried wiping the hard drive. If this involves seeing anything on the screen then that will not be an option since the only thing that I can see on the screen is blackness. I am a newbie here but I do know that without being able to see anything on the screen I am severely limited in what I can do.

Collapse -
Sorry but that's the first time I read something different.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Looking at it's age

At your first post you write " After the Dell splash screen the monitor turns black."

Now you declare " the only thing that I can see on the screen is blackness."

To reinstall we set the BIOS to boot from the CD and now that you only see blackness and not the Dell splash this means the issue has changed from a relatively simple OS install to a machine repair.

Collapse -
by Crate1ctbs / December 10, 2012 9:57 AM PST

Please excuse me. I obviously have not been very clear. The blackness that I see is after the Dell splash screen. Nothing in that department has changed. The only thing that I can do is F2 or F12. One shows some numbers to boot or something like that and no matter what number I press it still goes to a black screen. I apologize for any confusion. Thanks.

Collapse -
OK so we're back to the basic OS install issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry....

Just like many machines you set the machine to boot from the CD and then you put the OS CD in and then restart the PC and install the OS. Ubuntu, XP and other OSes have plenty of web pages about this. It appears you just need to get your OS CD out.

Collapse -
On that splash screen you will see
by wpgwpg / December 10, 2012 11:05 AM PST

the key to press to get into the BIOS setup. Press it quickly. I don't think your problem is hardware, it's just that you don't have a bootable OS on your C: drive. Once you get into the BIOS, you can do as instructed above. If you don't see the message on the splash screen, you can download your user guide from the Dell web site. Just get the service tag from the sticker on your computer, put it in, and download the user guide. It will tell you what key to press to get into setup.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by Crate1ctbs / December 10, 2012 11:10 AM PST

I have tried to use the OS cd and it does absolutely nothing. This was tried prior to my initial post. I really wish that it was that simple, there would have been no need for me to post at all.

Collapse -
Then the next usual thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Ok...

If you set the BIOS to boot the CD and it does, the age factors in. Many CD drives lose the boot capability so we have to fix that. Be sure you tested your CD in other PCs.

Most common issue? The CD drive is old.

PS. No. You don't fix CD drives, you replace them.

Collapse -
by Crate1ctbs / December 11, 2012 12:10 AM PST

Thank you. I will just have to give up on this machine. It is very well possible that the cd drive has died within the last few days. I do not think that I want to put money in a machine that I purchased used for less than a hundred dollars. Thanks again.

Collapse -
It's a cheap part.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Then...

Newegg has them but I can't tell if it's IDE or SATA so I can't give you a direct link.

It's a very common part to change in old desktops.

Collapse -
It's a cheap part...
by Crate1ctbs / December 11, 2012 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: It's a cheap part.

I will check to see which kind it is and then I will check on Newegg and maybe TigerDirect.
Also, thanks for letting me know about the spam. Spam seems to be able to get everywhere.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.