Phones forum

General discussion

Can a Verizon phone be activated on Sprint since both CDMA?

by Elax46 / February 23, 2007 12:31 PM PST

I have a LG Vx6000 that was given to me and it is alot better then the phone i have now and i was wondering if it was possible to activate it on my sprint plan because they both run on CDMA. Please Help I'm clueless about this and sprint isn't being very helpful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a Verizon phone be activated on Sprint since both CDMA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a Verizon phone be activated on Sprint since both CDMA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don''t think so
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 23, 2007 1:15 PM PST

I am pretty sure that this is not possible w/ CDMA phones, only GSM phones.

Collapse -
I have your answer
by jameskimismyhero / February 24, 2007 11:18 PM PST

It is very possible. Now it is up to you to find the person to change the company. I know this because CDMA phones from Korea are able to be switched to Verizon through a special dealer. But before you can do this, you have to make sure you pay the fee for breaking your contract with Verizon. I think it can be about $200. But other than that, you might want to search for the person online. google it or do something. The guys at Verizon might know... but I doubt it. Tell me how it goes.

Collapse -
Thanks A Bunch
by Elax46 / February 26, 2007 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: I have your answer

Thanks a bunch for the info i read something about it and just wanted a little more info and this was it. Thanks again

Collapse -
Unlocking the cellphone
by a.sharma / February 26, 2007 12:51 AM PST

Hey there,

If you call up the Verizon 1-800 service and ask them the Unlock Code for your phone, you can the same cell with Sprint and any other provider.

The network providers lock the cell phone so it's unable to recognize another network provider and hence exclusive to one particular network. It?s a marketing strategy to keep cell phone models exclusive to the network provider.

I have the Samsung D80 from Cingular. I had it unlocked, so I'm now using it with T-Mobile.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
About Verizon and CDMA. No way here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 12:56 AM PST

In my corner of the world, Verizon and others are not activating any CDMA phones. They want them gone and are doing so by saying no to new accounts. Given this option I get one of those free phones and that was that. I have no reason to pick CDMA, GSM or W2Z. I just want it to work.

Collapse -
(NT) HUH???
by neocon / February 26, 2007 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
What didn't you understand?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: HUH???

Here they are adamant to toss out CDMA. Go figure.

Collapse -
They frown on it
by rioferdinand / February 26, 2007 3:41 AM PST

It is very possible but like someone mentioned, they are usually not happy doin it. You might be able to walk into a store and meet a nice agent that will get your fone configure to work with the service. But it does not bring any profit in for them so they dont like it. I had the same experience when i was on assignment in south africa. but they eventually did it for me.

Collapse -
(NT) Where is "Here"?
by neocon / February 26, 2007 6:33 AM PST
Collapse -
New England.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Where is "Here"?

Weirdsville, USA.

Collapse -
So, are you saying....
by neocon / February 26, 2007 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: New England.

In NE CDMA is not popular? I thought Verizon's network was the strongest brand there and they use CDMA exclusively.

Collapse -
Could be why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: So, are you saying....

I'm just sharing they were bumping up my rate and changing phone systems. Is there a reason I care for CDMA or GSM?

Collapse -
Read This!!!
by zack1989 / April 14, 2010 6:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Could be why.

Just so everyone knows, Verizon is and always will be CDMA. CDMA is the most popular phone network and verizon has no plans to move to GSM. CDMA has way better call quality and contrary to what AT&T says CDMA (verizon/Sprint) is faster, running approximately 600-700 Kb/s vs. GSM's (AT&T/T-Mobile)400-500 KB/s. Verizon is also very popular in N.E. and also, in order for them to switch to a GSM they would have to either build a few thousand new towers or pay royalties to a GSM network which would be extremely useless and expensive and stupid considering that they are on a better network. There is nothing unpopular with CDMA at all. and they bumped up your bill cost cause of the economy, and i guarantee that they are accepting new accounts. not doing so is bad for business. More accounts = more money.

Collapse -
You're a little behind the times
by Pepe7 / April 15, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Read This!!!

Verizon *will* be switching to LTE in the next couple years. Yes, they will maintain the legacy CDMA network for quite some time, but the notion that they 'always will be CDMA' is your fantasy at best.

You're also more than a little confused regarding royalty payments in this scenario. The real situation is, if Verizon starts to switch to a non-CDMA based network, it would mean Qualcomm (who holds the patents) would inherintly be earning less money per handset that includes their technologies.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.