Samsung forum

General discussion

Can a TV use Anynet+ to automatically power on a receiver?

by mad_reaper / May 30, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

Basically, this is a follow up to:

I have a LN52A850 TV and a HT-Z515T home theater and have generally been very happy with both.

Is it possible to have the receiver automatically turn on when I power on the TV using Anynet+?

I know it can be done manually by pressing Tools -> Receiver -> On, but it would be nice if when I turned the TV on the receiver also turned on.

The sound on my TV is set to External Input so the TV speakers are automatically disabled when the TV is turned on. All my devices and applications require the receiver; every time that I turn on the TV, the receiver is the one and only source for sound.

Note that everything else works fine with Anynet+. Once on, the TV remote can control the volume and the receiver turns off with the television. It is just the power on that does not work.

If I power the receiver on, the television also powers on and goes to the input that the receiver is on. From receiver to television, it always works perfectly.

But is it possible to have the receiver automatically turn on when I power on the TV using Anynet+?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a TV use Anynet+ to automatically power on a receiver?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a TV use Anynet+ to automatically power on a receiver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can a TV use Anynet+ to automatically power on a receiver?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2009 6:34 AM PDT

Anynet+ will not power on the receiver when the television is powered on. The logic behind the design was that when you turned on the receiver, it makes sense that the television will be used. However, when you turn on the television, it's not always the case that the receiver will be used with every television application. There is no "fix" or setting to change.

I hope that answers your question, and look forward to your feedback.

Collapse -
by mad_reaper / June 1, 2009 12:41 AM PDT

I understand the reasoning but, in retrospect, it seems like an inferior choice. Most people who have receivers want to use them automatically.

Perhaps it could be fixed in firmware for the Samsung LN52A850 TV. The TV could provide settings to automatically turn on certain (or all) Anynet devices when they were detected. Samsung would only have to add a setting or two to the TV settings menu and add a little bit of code to the Anynet detection routines.

That'd be cool if Samsung ever did that.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2009 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Bummer

Noted and honored. Happy

Just to counter that, for discussion sake, there's always the customer that would find it exceedingly annoying that "all the devices turn on when all I want to do is watch TV". Or "Why does the Blu-Ray Player turn on every time I turn on the TV?"

I agree with you that it would be cool to be able to assign those options, but at this point, the design of the system is set. I believe in being straightforward, and in that, I'd probably lean towards the suggestion that we're not going to upgrade that feature.

Collapse -
I disagree
by mad_reaper / June 2, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

I figured that the answer would be something like that.

I guess that we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Collapse -
I disagree
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2009 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I disagree

Duly noted. Happy

I hope you didn't see my previous post as a challenge, but just a point of view. This forum isn't about my opinion - it's abour yours.

Collapse -
Has to be wrong!
by jmurfin / October 7, 2010 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I disagree

Hi HDTech - can you help and do some further digging on this? It is quite genuinely crazy that my Samsung Home Cinema set-up doesn't turn on when I turn on my TV. Here's why: I've just sold a Sony LCD TV, which had it's own version of Anynet+ when attached to the Sony home cinema I had. With our SKY remote for our satellite TV service, we could turn on the TV and the home cinema would also turn on, and the same when turning off. Now I've bought Samsung, trusting that your TV and cinema systems would be as good as better or Sony, but now I'm having to pick up two remotes to do the same job - TVs are for watching and listening (!) and so it makes no sense a home cinema system with anynet+ doesn't have auto on! For the record, we have an HT-C5800 home cinema system, and a UE46C7000 LED 3D TV. Please advise - I'll likely send the whole lot back and return to Sony for my new 3D set-up if this isn't an option/can't be resolved, thanks.

Collapse -
Agreed it is wrong
by paulp99 / August 22, 2011 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Has to be wrong!

Agreed with jmurfin, see my other posts.

There is an external speaker function on most Samsung TV's which directs the TV to expect external speakers. The connected devices we are talking about are primarily an amplifier units not a dedicated dvd/bluray player. From a HDMI-CEC viewpoint there are two components in a Samsung hifi system, the amplifier and the dvd/bluray drive (these will even appear so in the anynet+ device list when first configured if you look carefully).

Naturally you don't want to play disks all the time but I see no excuse whatsoever in the world that can justify not turning on the AMP component if the speakers are set to "external" and a HDMI cable is linking the AMP and TV. If you have this issue you will also see the remote is "confused" when the TV is powered on and thinks the amp is on when its not... volume commands result in an onscreen error until the amp is manually activated.

Even the Samsung documentation states the capability of one remote control at a touch of a button.

From listening to various people I understand that some models work and others don't (i.e. post below from jr as example). So my opinion is that Samsung needs to fix this on all models and stop acting like their making "design decisions" as the argument is feeble and disrespects the customer base who are smart enough to know that the technology inside of these devices can easily handle this type of advertised capability. We are no longer dealing with devices built on prefabricated microprocessor systems, there are flexible, reprogrammable computer systems underlying these TV and amplifier devices.

There are even people so ticked off with Samsung that they've started to reprogram their own firmwares to sort some of these issues out. Search for SamyGo and see what I mean.

I believe consumers have a right to their money back if Samsung refuses to either fix this issue or properly advised the limitation before the consumer buys equipment that works this way.

Collapse -
Also works this way with Panasonic VieraLink
by Honeyridges / November 7, 2012 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: Has to be wrong!

I've just come from a Panasonic TV and Panasonic Home Theatre System (HTS) connected by their version of AnyNet+ (VieraLink), and am disappointed to see the way this functionality is (not) implemented on the Samsung TV + HTS.

With the Panasonic (as per the Sony equivalent it seems), turning on the TV turns on the HTS, and turning off the TV turns off the HTS - perfect!

With the Samsung however, turning off the TV does turn off the HTS, but then turning on the TV does not turn on the HTS?? That's crazy!

The HTS is an exceptional AnyNet+ device - unlike other devices where I'd say it's fine to make sure they turn off and only turn themselves on when they're actively accessed, the HTS can (and often is) in effect an extension to the TV itself - you want it on when the TV is on so you can enjoy the enhanced audio. So treating it as simply a Blu Ray player is not really reflecting it's real world usage.

Is there some technical reason this cannot be implemented?

Collapse -
Please make it a user configurable setting
by seb91 / December 24, 2009 8:34 PM PST

Hi there,
Just set up an AnyNet+ kit for my parents, and I can't believe they'll have to power their homecine amp manually everytime to watch the TV.
I understand some (few?) may be annoyed by their receiver powering on everytime but :
- why not offer an option to auto-power on ? (so that the few could leave this disabled)
- who honnestly what TV with the default speakers on the new shiny Samsung LCDs ?

Collapse -
Why can't the TV use Anynet+ to power on the receiver?
by arcadian20 / August 31, 2010 9:44 AM PDT

Why can't a Samsung TV use Anynet+ to automatically power on the receiver when the TV is turned on? I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung BD receiver home theater. The whole purpose of Anynet+ for me is to use my TV remote to control both the devices. But, if I need to manually turn on the receiver to use it, it defeats the purpose of Anynet+ in my opinion. Also, I have not seen one single forum thread where a customer is annoyed that the receiver turns on when the TV is turned on...Am I missing something here. Help me. I dont want to go to Tools and turn on the receiver every time!

Collapse -
Why can't the TV use Anynet+ to power on the receiver?
by _jr_ / August 31, 2010 11:28 AM PDT

I can't speak for other receivers or Samsung TV models, but 2008 and 2009 Samsung TVs power Onkyo receivers with HDMI-CEC just fine. The feature must be turned on on the receiver itself, and the receiver must be connected to the TV via HDMI. I assume the same is true for other HDMI-CEC-compliant receivers...

Works great - love it!

Collapse -
Necessary feature
by grim_596 / February 21, 2012 10:35 AM PST

Hi HDTech,

I believe this should be a feature, especially for those of us who have set the primary audio output to a theatre system and have no sound whatsoever when the TV powers on.

The other option would be to have automatic switching when the TV detects no Home Theatre device powered on, which is also unavailable at the time of my writing.

My setup has a PC and Receiver directly connected to the TV, and a PS3 connected to the receiver, it is a pain to have to turn on the receiver everytime I turn on the PC or TV. Amplified by the fact that once the Receiver is on there is no other use for it's supplied remote.

A simple bit of coding and an extra (on - off) option under Anynet+ CEC would fix this issue for many of us.

Collapse -
by shakham / March 13, 2012 11:08 PM PDT

I know this thread is old....but has there been any resolution?

My problem is I'm trying to reduce the complexity of my system. I would like to use my receiver/speaker combo to seamlessly replace the in-TV speakers on the Samsung.

I need either of 2 solutions...
1) Let the Samsung control the audio-output with the volume control. My other Sharp setup does this.

2) Let the Samsung turn on the receiver automatically with Anynet+.

#1 would be the ideal it solves other integration issues I have neatly.
Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Complain to Samsung
by oscahie / March 14, 2012 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: volume

Write to and complain about it, demand a solution. They need to hear us loud and maybe they will then react and do something about it.

Collapse -
then use the Speaker Select setting to figure that out
by locketine / December 2, 2012 12:32 AM PST

If(SpeakerSelect == SpeakerOptions.External) AnyNet.TurnOnAVReceiver

It's pretty straightforward to do this I think. My PS3 is able to turn on my AV Reciever, TV and set both of them to the correct HDMI inputs so why can't my TV do such a simple thing as turn on the device it's using for audio output!?

It's all the more frustrating that both my receiver and TV are Samsung products but it's the Sony game console that's most compatible with them.

Collapse -
Another pissed off customer
by oscahie / January 17, 2012 3:22 AM PST

This is amazing that it is now 2012 and we, Samsung customers, still have to suffer such an issue that could be fixed in a matter of minutes of work an engineer by adding a new option to contemplate both possibilities. Everybody would be happy then, but no, Samsung has to choose to ignore us. Why oh Why?

Collapse -
whats going on samsung ?!
by meisflo / July 29, 2012 7:45 PM PDT

I think its pretty clear that its a bug. You only have to read through the posts. I've wrote a support-email to samsung now complaining about the same problem.

This configuration (AV-Receiver + TV) is that common ... Its sold as package in every super-market and Samsung does not manage to support it !!!

I'm so pissed off, fix that issue. Its now 3 years AGO!!!

Collapse -
It used to work for me
by Garthry / July 29, 2012 8:24 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem, but it used to work. When tv is turned on the receiver would turn on and when tv turned off receiver would turn off, but for some reason when I change the room around the receiver stopped turning on but once on will turn off when tv is turned off......

Collapse -
Ridiculous Response
by FredInMaryland / December 2, 2014 10:14 AM PST

Here we are... 5 years later....

Obviously this was an oversight.... Samsung should have fixed this a long time ago. Your competitors already implement this function. The TV includes an option to always use external speakers. Isn't it QUITE OBVIOUS that when that function is selected, the vast majority of people would want their HDMI-CEC equipped receiver to turn on. But that's not the point... because this could easily have been added to the firmware as an option.

This makes Samsung's otherwise pretty spectacular televisions sub-rate. And it's going to lose you at least one follow-on buyer in the coming years if it's not fixed. I'll go to another brand just so I don't have to chase a stupid option through 3-4 menus every time I turn on the TV.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. And you all could fix this quickly. Come on, Samsung - make it right.

Collapse -
Ridiculous Indeed
by Highland_Logan / December 5, 2014 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ridiculous Response

With Anynet+ turned on, if you pop in a bluray, it powers on the TV. If you power on the TV, the reciver is off. BUT!!! With a quick press of the tools button, you can select reciver on, and there you go, surround sound TV. Real hard to do. Not everyone want to watch the news in surround. Maybe Samsung should be faulted for not coming up with a code, that knows it's the news, which would auto switch to stereo.

Collapse -
I would like to throw in my support
by baronnemouton / October 29, 2012 10:05 AM PDT

I agree that this should be an option to allow the TV to turn on other equipment, saves messing about....

Collapse -
You are losing more business over this than it is worth!!!
by BigRedBrent / December 10, 2012 7:06 PM PST

I love the way my Panasonic tv turns on my Sony receiver when the tv is turned on. I was considering upgrading my tv with a Samsung, but there is no way I will be replacing it without this option. That would just remove one of the biggest conveniences that I already enjoy with other brands.

Samsung needs to do something about this if they have not already. It is one of those things that just needs to be done until it finally is.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.