Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can a DVD -R be burned onto a DVD +R

by Mark L. / December 29, 2012 6:43 AM PST

I have a lot of home movies that were originally recorded on 8mm tapes and then burned onto DVD dual layer -R. I am now trying to make copies of these DVD's and I am having trouble finding DVD dual layer -R discs. I tried to burn it onto a +R dual layer disc but the software would not allow it. Can this conversion be done or do I need to obtain more -R discs. Is this just a software problem and if so - can anyone recommend some software - free or paid that will resolve my problem. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a DVD -R be burned onto a DVD +R
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a DVD -R be burned onto a DVD +R
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most DVD drives can write to DVD+R DL
by lacsr / December 29, 2012 8:29 PM PST

Download ImgBurn:
It can do both read the old disk and put it on new DVD media. It can also tell the user if the drive in use is capable of writing to the chosen media. With the limited info given in the original post, it is hard to give more useful info. Let's start with that and come back with more info about what has been done, with what software, and the hardware being used.
"I tried to burn it onto a +R dual layer disc but the software would not allow it." why not?

Collapse -
2nd method
by Willy / December 30, 2012 1:23 AM PST

If you have enough room/space, copy whatever current DVD-R data onto the HD. Then burn to DVD+R blanks. If you're using the same burning s/w and it fails then you've found your problem. Move to a freebie like CDburnerXP or Imgburn or TinyBurner once the .ISO files have been made to burn to blanks. You gave little info other than the problem, just what s/w and burners are being used?, etc.. Some of the burning s/w may allow better copying action within its own s/w, but if you can make .ISO file, then usually any s/w can burn to whatever DVD blanks. I exclude any "copyright scheme" that maybe at work here thus all the ?'s.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not enough detail. I'd try IMGBURN. HOW?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 1:36 AM PST

If these are ordinary discs without a proprietary format I can use IMGBURN (free, found with google).

I would.

1. Use IMGBURN to create an .ISO on my computer. It's an icon that shows a CD with an arrow to file or hard disk icon.
2. And then I slip in the blank DVD+R to create the next disc with the icon that shows a file/HDD pointing to the CD.

Yes I know the difference of CD and DVD but the icon name is usually "CD".

If this is PROPRIETARY then I'd have to know more.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.