How To forum

Can a DVD/cassette recorder be connected to an unused monito

by grumpyAl / February 17, 2013 5:40 AM PST

While cleaning out a closet I came across an JVC DVD video recorder & video cassette recorder model DR-MV5S, and a Acer monitor model AL1706. I thought, how cool it would be if I could connect the monitor to the recorder. The recorder has RCA inputs, S video inputs and coaxial in and outputs. Is it possible to connect the two? If so what will I need? The monitor has the usual pin plug. I'm trying to avoid buying another TV. Any solutions are appreciated. Thanks Al

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a DVD/cassette recorder be connected to an unused monito
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a DVD/cassette recorder be connected to an unused monito
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Link tells a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
by grumpyAl / February 23, 2013 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Link tells a lot.

Thanks for the response. I found the Startech converter you suggested on Amazon. It was a simple hook-up, but nothing happened. I connected the Y,Pb,andPr out from the recorder into the Startech box. I then connected the VGA cable from the converter to the monitor. I also connected RCA audio wires from the recorder to the converter box and plugged in a set of speakers from a computer I'm not using.(I know the speakers work). I doubled checked all the connections, and turned everything on. Message on monitor reads, NO VIDEO SIGNAL, and all I got from the audio was static. Went back, rechecked everything again, and the results were the same. What am I missing? Is it possible the converter is defective? I have no way to troubleshoot it. Thanks Al

Collapse -
Sounds defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: DVD to VGA

There must be other models and who knows if the player actually works?

Collapse -
sounds defective
by grumpyAl / February 24, 2013 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds defective.

I know the player works.

Collapse -
still sounds defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: sounds defective

The convertor didn't work out.

Collapse -
still sounds defective
by grumpyAl / February 24, 2013 10:29 PM PST

I've emailed Startech. Maybe I missed something. As of yet, no response. Looks like I'll be returning the converter, and buying a cheap tv.

Collapse -
Some adapter...
by Willy / February 17, 2013 6:49 AM PST

Could be you ticket but are willing to pay for such. Or rather go through all the trouble of getting an adapter and probably using RCA connections and really enjoy the display. It's not going to be super-duper but will work. You monitor is VGA and look for an adapter that's RCA(RGB/3-connections) to such. You're now free to google away to find some device.
Here's one such device:

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by deedeest111 / February 19, 2013 4:19 AM PST

Look at input to monitor and buy an adapter from it to rca, also if no speakers in monitor gotta have speakers, so more than one thing to think about and which adapter you need depending on monitor's features. Good luck really very simple. Better yet Call any store that sells cables and tell them what you got and they'll fix you up.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.