Phones forum

Can a Blackberry be used without data plan?

by 20002621 / October 9, 2011 11:26 AM PDT

Hi all,
I am trying to find a way to buy a blackberry (or any other smartphone) without the annoying data plan. Is their anyway around this, e.g. Craigslist,eBay,ect.?
Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a Blackberry be used without data plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a Blackberry be used without data plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2011 11:32 AM PDT

Here they offer a BLACKBERRY PLAN. Would you call that a data plan?

Collapse -
Blackberry plan is a data plan
by 20002621 / October 9, 2011 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Here.

Yes. Anything that costs extra I consider a data plan. I don't need the Internet connection with all the wifi. All I want really is the phone.

Collapse -
by Cola56 / December 25, 2011 7:08 PM PST

It is strange about it,if you want to download stuff via your blackberry from the internet,it is sure it need data plan.

Collapse -
I would like to ask the same,,,
by Legutis / January 10, 2012 12:51 PM PST

Nothing strange ,,,I use WiFi to download stuff,,,I have smartphone (Nokia N97 mini) and it works without date plan, my Q is are there some phones made not to work w/o data plan or companies just try to make us buy more services from them. Am thinking get unlocked BB storm 2 for my DH (we have Tmobile) but all notifications that it may not work wo data plane got me confused,,,so if someone could answer original question it would be great!

Collapse -
This area is beat to death.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 2:32 AM PST

There is no clear answer because as ATT and others change the rules then any answer given today may be wrong tomorrow. For example, some found they could pop the ATT sim into said units and later get a nasty automatic upgrade to the plan. covers other angles.

The carriers do not want smart phones with no plans and they are working hard to discover anyone that has such and IN THEIR AGREEMENTS is some clause about this.

I hope this helps you understand why it's a minefield area. The moment someone finds a workaround, the carriers seem to know about it.

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 3:01 AM PST

My daughter uses a Blackberry without data plan without any issues. But we don't live in the USA. I don't think, however, this is the decisive argument for you to move to the Netherlands.

So it depends on the policy of the providers where you happen to live. Not on the phone.

Collapse -
Yes you can.
by kosai19 / April 17, 2012 9:14 AM PDT

I work for a telecom provider in Canada and do the support for these devices. Blackberry devices do not need any type of data plan in order to work. Most modern phones are designed to have two capabilities: data and voice - so they are always split into two separate functions. For Blackberry devices you can launch the "Manage Connections" icon, select "Mobile Network Options" and turn the data feature on or off. The "mobile network" check box is what turns the phone's radio on/off. The radio is used to establish communication with your wireless carrier.

As far as what plans your carrier has, I have no idea but the phones themselves don't need a data plan to work.

One other thing... very often with voice plans you will get a slow pay-per use data access for older web pages (called WAP pages). There is a pay-per use charge (usually per kilobyte) however most carriers let you browse their home portal page for free since it links to pay products. You can turn the data feature of the phone off in the options i mentioned above to disable this. Turning this feature off still keeps your wifi working by the way.

One last point... lets you download apps to your computer and install them over a USB cable to your device. So you can do full upgrades and app installations from Blackberry App World Online. So you don't need a data plan if you want to add apps to the phone.

Collapse -
Don't need data
by salmanpasta / August 23, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

Yup! Any of those above should work. It really depends on which carrier you are with. I know the ones in Canada don't care if you use a Blackberry without data as long as you didn't buy it from a contract price with them

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.