Cameras forum

General discussion

Camera with long battery life?

by schlossb / September 6, 2004 8:13 AM PDT

I'm looking for a compact/ultra compact camera and my main criteria is having a battery that lasts a long time. Ideally, it would seem nice to have a cradle to put the camera on (like a pDA) that will keep it charged for when I want it.

I want a camera for basic family stuff and I'm assuming that picture quality and all the bells and whistles are generic and similar enough across cameras. I have an HP camera that is about 6 years old, that takes 4 AA batteries and can't seem to last 3 hours without the batteries draining. Thus, whenever I want to take a picture, it's not ready.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camera with long battery life?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camera with long battery life?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Camera with long battery life?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2004 8:37 AM PDT

3 hours on a set of batteries is great. Most camera use is just a few minutes out of each hour so it appears you are using the camera in a nontypical way. You may want to see if you can rig up a belt battery pack to make it through the day. You see them often on TV camera crews.

Bob

Collapse -
by schlossb / September 6, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

Let me clarify -

After about 3 hours, the batteries seem to be wiped out, whether I'm using the camera or not. I'd say that if I had the camera on continuosly, it'd be dead in 10-15 minutes. If the camera is off, the rechargeable batteries still drain (and my kids always seem to use the extra batteries I have charging). If I buy the disposable batteries, I may get a bit longer use, but they are too expensive and wasteful.

I'd like to know that my camera is always charged up.

Collapse -
That's a different issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2004 9:37 AM PDT

In our family we have many cameras. The HP 812, Kodak 6490, Canon Digital Elph and some other Kodak. None exhibit that behaviour. If I put a new set of batteries in the HP 812, I can use it right away or in a month.

Just recently we added a camera dock to the HP 812 and it recharges in the dock, but it makes it to about 50 to 100 pictures before we put in a pair of AA's. The 6490 came with a dock and it charges in the dock. I'm not sure how many pictures it takes on a charge, but I did have it out of the dock for a week and took pictures just fine.

It appears that something is wrong with that camera.

Bob

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 6, 2004 9:43 AM PDT

I don't know of a chart that lists all cameras, but there is one that shows a large group of digital cameras.

It is a comparison chart.
Be sure to read what conditions they used to conduct the tests.
Some show over 5 hours.

Link is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/page10.asp

It is for the Canon Pro1, but you want to scroll almost to the bottom of the page to find the battery life comparison chart.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.