Cameras forum

General discussion

Camera will not turn on even with new batteries.

by Gwynn H. / July 16, 2008 8:42 PM PDT

Hi,
I need help. I was downloading photos when my camera started flashing something in red. I assumed it was a low battery warning and continued the download hoping I could finishing getting my photos in my IMAC computer. The download completed. When I wanted to use my camera again I put new batteries in. I turned it on and nothing happened. I tried other new batteries. Nothing happened. They are installed correctly. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a Panasonic Lumix 7.2 which is about 2 years old.I did look in the instruction manuel. It was of no help.
Gwynn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camera will not turn on even with new batteries.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camera will not turn on even with new batteries.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 12:08 AM PDT

It would be helpful if we knew the model number of the camera.
Panasonic has made at least ten 7.2 megapixel cameras.

If the camera has a lens that extends when you power-on, it may have failed to park completely when power went off, due to the weak battery.

Gently press on the front of the lens barrel to attempt to seat the lens.
Then (with a good battery) turn-on the camera.

If that does not work, some people report that they slapped the camera on the sides/bottom to free up the lens.
Don't get carried away with the slapping.

You can avoid the low battery problem if you buy a card reader.
Then you don't have to connect your camera to your computer.

Collapse -
THANKS!!
by AK-47SPETSNAZ / January 8, 2013 6:32 PM PST
In reply to: Digital Camera

YES IT WORKED, but now it won't turn on again. It's just making the turn on beep, but then nothing happens

Collapse -
Digital camer will not turn on even with new batteries.
by Gwynn H. / July 17, 2008 8:54 AM PDT

Hello, Thank you for your help. The model number of my camera is DMC-LS70. I tried pushing in the lens. It looks all the way in. I also tried slapping the camer a bit. Nothing. Any other ideas.
Gwynn

Collapse -
Not Turn-On
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 11:50 AM PDT

The only other thing I can think of is the type of battery.

If you are currently using the NiMH AA rechargeable batteries, I would suggest you try standard Alkaline AA batteries. They have a bit more voltage than the NiMH and it might make a difference in this case.

If that does not work, you should phone Panasonic Service and see if they have any suggestions.
I am sure they have encountered this problem before.

Collapse -
by Gwynn H. / July 17, 2008 10:03 PM PDT

Thank you so much.
Gwynn

Collapse -
by taboma / July 19, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

Gwynn H.
I have tried this repeatedly with any sort of battery problems through out the years.
Take a pencil eraser and rub the eraser on all of the battery contacts of your camera and on the battery terminals. It will make a better contact for the battery when everything is cleaned off eliminating oxidation.

-Kevin

Collapse -
by Gwynn H. / July 20, 2008 8:54 PM PDT

Thanks Kevin.

Collapse -
amperage batteries
by ceasuridelux / January 22, 2013 4:17 PM PST

Beware of amperage batteries ... If they have a low amperage will not start again. Chamber consumption is quite high and this could be the cause.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.