Cameras forum

General discussion

camera not matching 4 x 6 photo tray

by eaadams / June 29, 2006 6:33 AM PDT

So my printer prints 4 x 6 photos. I've been using a cannon sd550. The problem is that I like to frame my photos to fit the camera's screen and when I go to print I get big ugly white bordsers on my 4x6 prints because the ratio on the camera and the printer do not match.

Any recomendations?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: camera not matching 4 x 6 photo tray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: camera not matching 4 x 6 photo tray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Few Options
by soupysweetie / June 29, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

Easy one 1st-replace the printer with one that prints photos "edge-to-edge". All of the big names make them and they are competitive in price.

The only other option, that I can think of, is to crop the image greater in size than you want and then cut the borders off. For example: use 5X7. The problem with this method is that it is hard to keep the edges clean: even with a paper cutter. You will get a full 4X6 image but lots of busy work. Based on your photo software and the printer, you might have to play around with the sizing.
For example: I have some software that allows "custom" size cropping as well as the fixed sizes. You might have this as well. Might be frustrating.

Collapse -
Aspect Ratio
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 29, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

If you lay a square piece of paper on a rectangular piece of paper, it will not match.

Your camera has an aspect ratio of 3 x 4.
4 x 6 paper has an aspect ratio of 2 x 3.

(4 x 6 paper was made to fit 35mm film aspect ratio)

If you proportionally expand your photo to be 6 inches wide, it will be 4.5 inches tall.

To make it print edge to edge on 4 x 6 paper, you will have to eliminate .25 inch from the top and bottom. You do this with software using a "crop" command.

And as eaadams previously said;
you need a printer that can print edge to edge.

Collapse -
my printer prints edge to edge
by eaadams / June 29, 2006 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Aspect Ratio

Yea my printer does print edge to edge. So you are saying that I need to crop the images. Well that is lame when I take great care to frame my pics when I take the photos.

So what you are saying is I need to either:
A) Dont so tightly frame my pictures and then crop them when I get home.

or

B) get a digital camera with a 35mm setting.

Collapse -
That is correct.....
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 29, 2006 12:19 PM PDT

or you can print them at 4.5 x 6 on larger paper and then trim the paper to fit the image.

Many camera do have a 2:3 format option which fits 4 x 6 paper exactly.

You could also print the photos at 4 x 5.33 and trim off the one end to fit.

Photo Formats:

This is a problem that has been around for over 50 years.

You hear about 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 photos.
No available camera will fit those formats without cropping.

Those sizes originated about the year 1910 when cameras actually use negatives of those sizes.

About 1950 almost all of the old format cameras had disappeared but the 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 paper is still with us. The last cameras were the "press" cameras used by news reporters. In the old Superman comics, Jimmy Olson carried a "press" camera. A very large camera to carry around. But since the negatives were so huge, they produced excellent photos.

One of these days, there will probably be 4.5 x 6 paper available.

Collapse -
wow lame
by eaadams / June 29, 2006 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: That is correct.....

Wow this is totally lame. Either I have to deliberatly back of my subjects and loose detail in my photo OR I have to end up with a bunch of photo prints that wont fit in standard frames!

This is going to make a 3:2 pulldown or 35mm mode a REQUIREMENT in all future camera purchaces.

Collapse -
The Canon 20D, for one, sizes its images to exactly fit
by Kiddpeat / June 30, 2006 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: wow lame

a 4x6. However, that's a very small size, so I don't put a large amount of value on it. The new 30D undoubtedly has the same specs, and the Rebel may also share them.

Collapse -
The Digital Rebel is also a 3:2 aspect ratio ...
by Bill Osler / July 2, 2006 3:49 AM PDT

My impression is that most digital SLRs use that aspect ratio, though I admit I haven't researched it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.