Cameras

Question

Camcorder vs dslr camera- its 2012 and dslr equip has come

by chazzcall / November 9, 2012 6:22 PM PST

I already have a panasoni hdc tm-90 camcorder that records hd video. Im looking to enter into buisness involving music and QUALITY hd video via internet and websites postings therein. camcoder is 1080/60p in avchd which is not standard im told. so im missing the best possible video for internet posts. im looking at the 2013 panasonic dmc gh3 which is getting flawless awsome spec reviews re: video...even by pros.. what are the advantages of even buying a camcorder at all... in 2013 a time when the likes of the pan. DMC gh3 appear to surpass anything less than 2-3000$ with the ability to take pics as well. if pros are using these type products in cameras...why even bother with expensive bulky camcorders in 2013..and what are the best choices in the 1500$ range for the best internet video production in utmost HD.beit camera or camcorder..it appears that the hg3 is the best bet...i need the best video quality.without being spending 5 k..THANK YOU for any help u can provide...i need expert feedback

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder vs dslr camera- its 2012 and dslr equip has come
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder vs dslr camera- its 2012 and dslr equip has come
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
DSLR/Camcorder combo.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 11:59 PM PST

You mentioned a Panasonic HG3 but I think you really mean the GH3 camera.

I have not seen a head to head review of its camcorder ability against a Panasonic camcorder.
The think you want to compare the sound quality too. Nearly all still camera sound systems are poor when trying to record live music or loud music. The GH3 does have a socket for using an external microphone, which is desirable.

Canon has announced a camera that they claim will be a true DSLR and camcorder combination.
One version is priced over $2,000 and a pro model for over $20,000.

Collapse -
Answer
re: Camcorder vs dslr camera- its 2012 and dslr equip has co
by MarkatNite / November 11, 2012 10:16 AM PST

So first off, any recent camera, including the TM90, should be fine. What holds the vast majority of people back now is their light rig and their audio rig (or lack thereof).

Second, 1080/60p is now part of the AVCHD 2.0 standard. Whoever told you it wasn't was giving you outdated information. Also note that the GH3 which you praise so highly shoots 1080/60p AVCHD.

But speaking of the GH3, there are many videographers (myself included) who are upset at the loss of the multiaspect sensor and the lack of focus peaking and zebras. (In fact, so many people were upset about this that Panasonic came out with a statement that focus peaking and zebras could be added in a future firmware update. Although that still leaves the issue of the sensor being 18% smaller which is a hardware issue that can't be fixed in firmware.)

As to why buy a camcorder: a) form factor. You can literally spend thousands of dollars on a rig to shoot video with a still photo camera. BTDT myself. And b) the GH3 most definitely does not surpass, for example, the Sony VG30, much less the VG900. (Although the VG900 is at the top end of your $3,000 price range.) And yes, both Sony camcorders also capture full resolution RAW stills. And since Panasonic (and Olympus) has switched to Sony sensors in their latest m4/3 offerings, I don't see why their image quality would be much different from the Sony products. And c) as far as camcorders being "bulky", once you trick out a still photo camera to shoot video, they are going to be at least as bulky, if not moreso.

And keep in mind I say all of this as someone who owns both a GH1 and GH2 - Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.