Camcorders forum

Question

Camcorder for Work in Manufacturing Plant

by budahnbb / October 17, 2012 6:21 AM PDT

I work in a manufacturing plant and we need a new camcorder to record operator processes for our kaizen improvement events.

The requirements I am looking for are:

- Wide angle- The camcorder we currently have forces you to stand 5 feet away from the person and operation you are trying to capture. Now bear with me- I am no optics expert and don't know exactly which affects the viewing But the current camcorder specs are: Aperture 1.8-4.1, focal distance 1.9-76mm, 35mm equivalent 48-1920mm, 16:9 41-1640mm. I do know there are wide-angle lens adapters you can buy for certain camcorders, but would rather buy a camcorder that shoots wide angle to begin with.

- Directional mic, or camcorder with a mic input- The factory isn't terribly loud but we are building things and there is a lot of background noise that comes through on our current recordings

- Long battery life (2-3 hours)

- Full HD-

- Flash memory

- Budget is $300-500

I do not care about:

- The ability to take still images

- Low-light recording

- On-device editing

- LCD screen size or ease of menu features

- Manual image adjustments- It will never leave auto mode...

Thank you for your input & suggestions!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder for Work in Manufacturing Plant
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder for Work in Manufacturing Plant
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'll give it a shot...
by boya84 / October 18, 2012 11:01 PM PDT

Wide angle built-in: I am not aware of any consumer grade or better worth using that has built-in wide angle. Adding a lens usually means a screw-mount (suggest 0.7x wide. Any wider and you star getting a fish-eye effect).

A mic jack needs to be included on the camcorder. You need to decide if your budget can deal with a good wireless lavaliere or not. Sennheiser G3 is a start - there are others. Base station portability may be a requirement.

Depends on the camcorder. Wort case: buy an optional rechargeable batter from the camcorder manufacturer.

Budget is likely too low (entry-mid level consumer grade), but the Canon HF R series might work.

Collapse -
apologies for the typos -
by boya84 / October 19, 2012 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a shot...

but I hope the message content still works.

Be sure to use a tripod or some other steadying device (chair, shelf...). No handheld capture. Learn to use the white balance. There are presets available for different types of lighting. And hopefully the computer you use to edit has the horsepower (and video editing application) to deal with AVCHD-compressed video.

The Canon HF R series may not have the lens filter threads for the wide angle lens mount - you may need to move to the HF M series. Sorry about that. If the camcorder has a "lens filter diameter" or "filter diameter" measurement specification (in this price range around 37mm to 43mm) then screw-mount lenses will work. If the spec is not listed or indicates "N/A" that is because there are no threads to mount a filter (or a lens).

Setting the expectation: Your price range is entry-level to lower-mid range of consumer camcorders. No fair expecting "professional grade" results (that would come from prosumer or professional camcorders costing at least five times more than your stated budget).

Collapse -
Good ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

I too am involved with industrial production and our first camera product is under development. While the need is not as stringent as above, I like your ideas on the matter.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by budahnbb / October 22, 2012 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Good ideas.

Thanks for the input-

We got a Pannisonic HC-V700MK

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.