Camcorders

Question

Camcorder for Outdoor Recording?

by Burkeevan / April 22, 2013 5:14 AM PDT

I'm looking to start filming hunting and fishing activities for me and my son but our DVD format camera is not allowing me to transfer videos to our PC to view them or edit them. I would like to upgrade to a HD camera with good sound (to hear birds, bucks, etc answering our game calls), also something that easily allows us to view video on our computer and edit it easily to be able to copy on DVD or put on Youtube. We aren't professionals and we aren't broadcasting on TV, I just need something for me and my family to enjoy with fairly decent quality and sound, so with that said I would like to stay under $250 price range.

I have looked up a few camcorders already and they all have plenty of pros and cons (I understand being cheap won't get me the best product), but I'm really looking for something that will give me the best quality for outdoors use. I don't care about still pictures or indoor quality. I just need something that will work well in dawn and dusk conditions with good sound quality.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated since I'm not up to date with camcorders of today. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder for Outdoor Recording?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder for Outdoor Recording?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you are having issues with the current camcorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 5:18 AM PDT

I think the new models are even rougher on folk. The new HD format is causing some pain but why not fix your current DVD transfer problems?

I'd like to hear more why you can't transfer from the DVD to the PC. Did you finalize the media in the camcorder?
Bob

Collapse -
DVD to PC
by Burkeevan / April 22, 2013 5:24 AM PDT

Not sure how to finalize the DVD, but either way it is a few years old and we picked it up for cheap and it didn't come with any software so a friend mentioned that could be the problem. We have an HD tv now and a newer laptop with a widescreen HD format so it's time for an upgrade anyway to get better quality. Old camera also makes an annoying buzzing sound when zooming in during a hunt, doesn't bother the deer but you hear it on the playback. Also not the greatest camera in low light, so like I said just time for an upgrade.

Collapse -
I have not used any software to transfer from DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD to PC

On the old DVD camcorder I have never done more than finalize in the menu on the camcorder then copy the resulting mpeg files to the PC for editing.

If you felt the DVD system was hard, I strongly suggest you talk with those that sell the new ones and ask for a full refund privilege if you can't do what you want.

In this forum are suggestions for models so I'm skipping any model suggestion for now. But your post makes me worry you will not be happy with the new system.
Bob

Collapse -
Camcorder warranty
by Burkeevan / April 22, 2013 6:40 AM PDT

It is out of warranty and is 4-4.5 years old. It had plenty of use taping my younger son's wrestling meets and being able to play it back to him after a match in the stands. Never wanted to put it on DVD since his wrestling coach did that for the team with his camcorder. So no suggestions at all? I just want to look for now and take in all the reviews and get some good advice. I'm not looking to purchase until mid summer/fall sometime before bow season opens in Michigan, just as long as we have a few weeks to practice filming and get used to whatever we buy.

Collapse -
There are current suggestions in this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Camcorder warranty

Real recent too so why not see what was suggested last week?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Recent suggestions. Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
New camera
by Terfyn / April 22, 2013 4:59 PM PDT

Just to add to the thread. Most of the mid range camcorders from the trinity (Canon, Panasonic and Sony) will do what you want. IMO the SD card is the way to go - simply because I am now used to it. I also have a tape based DV camera which is fine but I needed to add a FireWire card+ software to download to my PC. With SD I just take the card out of the camera and put it in the card reader on my PC. I use the supplied camera software to download simply because it sorts out the files for me.

One of the bigger problems with current camcorders is the mic as it is virtually useless in windy conditions. I have not yet seen a "deadcat" that works on the camera so I use a plug in mic with my own homemade "deadcat" This works perfectly, I have recorded a steam train going at full speed by hanging the camera out of a carriage window in full flow of the passing wind!

For editing and downloading to YouTube etc. I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X6. Works OK. If you do go for a video editor, make sure your computer is up to it. Most editor suppliers come up with a minimum requirement list for their product. Your PC will need to be as good or better than the requirements on the list. To be fair Windows Moviemaker may be adequate for what you want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.