the call list at other times on both the online Verizon incoming call
list and phone call list. Based on a few other occurrences I will not
mention here, I feel that when I receive these calls, that my incoming
calls are being routed to another number where they are monitored, and
then forwarded on to the intended cell phone. I have confronted Verizon
numerous times in recent weeks, and I have been given every excuse they
could come up with. Almost all of which I have already proven to be
complete bull. I strongly feel that my family's privacy, is being
invaded, and Verizon will do NOTHING to help.
I blocked the 999 number on my on-line Verizon account and the calls
started showing up that my cell number was calling my cell number!! Now
how did I call myself?? And then when Verizon caught what I did, all
of a sudden the 999 number started showing up on my on-line call list
again, EVEN THOUGH IT IS STILL BLOCKED!!!!! And the calls that showed
me calling myself disappeared!! Can ANYONE help me to understand what is happening?? At this time, I have NO PLANS to renew my account with Verizon!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: calls from 999-999-9999
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: calls from 999-999-9999
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you .....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 1:23 AM PST

.....contacted Verizon customer service about this issue ??? Perhaps someone reading your inquiry may come up with an explanation for the issue. I am stumped as to the cause.

Collapse -
Verizon offers a service that lets you block these calls
by Pepe7 / January 16, 2012 1:28 AM PST

AFAIK these are blocked numbers, so you don't have much recourse other than what I've suggested below.

Collapse -
999-999-9999 calls on the Verizon network
by yelrah94 / January 16, 2012 2:13 AM PST

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Yes, I have contacted Verizon customer service, numerous times, and they have given a multitude of possible reasons, including suggesting that these are calls from blocked numbers, as you have mentioned. However, they are coming from numbers that I know, like my home, a friends home, other Verizon cell numbers on my account, all of which I assure you are NOT blocked or restricted. At other times, they show up as the actual number that calls me.

I have utilized the usage controls from Verizon to block the 999 number, and for a short time, the calls began to show up as my cell number calling my cell number in the online call list. But before the end of the billing cycle, the calls that showed my cell calling my cell reverted back to the 999 numbers, even with the 999 number blocked. The last customer service rep I spoke with advised me that I would have to contact Law Enforcement if I wanted any more information from Verizon concerning this!?!? PLEASE HELP......

Collapse -
feedback
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 2:34 AM PST

Law enforcement wouldn't get involved unless you were receiving threatening or obscene calls. Don't waste your time going down that route.

Collapse -
Further clarification
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 2:58 AM PST

I think what the rep who suggested contacting law enforcement was to obtain a court order/subpoena to access phone records. As stated in my earlier response, that would be a waste of time and require you to hire a lawyer.

Collapse -
Update on Mystery 999 number Tracking !!
by yelrah94 / January 18, 2012 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Further clarification

I have finally been able to capture my on line call list from Verizon showing calls from my cell number to my cell number and vise versa!! I know a cell phone cannot call itself, and talk for 30 minutes! I also have cross referenced the calls (5 in one day) based on the time they were made / received and I know who actually made the calls!! I do not think anyone here (with all due respect) is going to be able to help with this one, but I think I know some folks who will be greatly interested !! More to come.....

Collapse -
Please give more info if you can
by Pepe7 / January 18, 2012 11:23 AM PST

Just change the names/specifics of those folks involved.

Reminds me vaguely of when our old analog cellular number was cloned back in the day. Ended up with odd caller lists (domestic & to Asia) and a heck of a huge bill ;).

Collapse -
waiting to hear....
by si / January 21, 2012 11:38 AM PST

....what have you discovered?

Collapse -
Mystery 999
by Newtimer / January 22, 2012 7:29 AM PST

Has anyone every had access to your SIM info or card?

Collapse -
CELL PHONE MONITORING/DEVICES THAT MONITOR CELL PHONES
by mkrock / January 20, 2012 1:36 PM PST
Collapse -
cell phone tracking.....DO NOT BECOME A VICTIM !!
by yelrah94 / January 22, 2012 10:52 AM PST

I believe that is exactly what is happening. I have been working on this for months and have learned quite a bit of valuable information. This technology was pioneered by the FBI and was used to bring down the mafia. The more advanced softwares available today can be used without physical access to the target phone. It can be used to monitor texts, and phone calls. It can turn on the camera, activate the mic, and record up to one week of live conversation, storing it on the target phone using less than one megabyte of space. It can then "upload" the conversation to the recipient in a phone call that lasts for less than one minute, and utilizing a number "masking" app. This explains the 999-999-9999 number that shows repeatedly on my call lists. I stumbled upon a way to make the software malfunction, and reveal itself. This is why the 999 numbers began showing up as MY OWN NUMBER!! I am now working on getting a little "help" in obtaining my cell phone records, so I can give the devious person responsible for this a new hobby!! Time will tell.......

Collapse -
Please lighten up a little....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 11:11 AM PST

Enough with the conspiracy theories. I seriously doubt that anybody is cloning or stealing anyone's mobile #. While I can't explain it away, I am certain there is a reasonable explanation.

Collapse -
One thought
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 11:18 AM PST

As mentioned, I can't definitively explain the issue, but as a former CS rep for another cellular carrier I ran across the same issue from time to time.

Here goes a possible explanation: incoming calls from blocked #'s would show as either the user's mobile # or 999-999-9999.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Read the entire thread.......
by yelrah94 / January 22, 2012 7:11 PM PST
In reply to: One thought

No conspiracy theory....the blocked number possibility has already been discounted. Calls are ALL coming from numbers I know, verified by cross referencing. Which is an indicator that some calls are being monitored by another phone, with a number mask, and forwarded on to me. I have LIVED this for over a year, and with all due respect, EVERY possible explanation mentioned so far has not held water.

Collapse -
No need to be rude
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 9:02 PM PST

I have watched this thread from the day it was started. As I mentioned, I related a direct experience as a former CS rep for another cellular provider. Your post "cell phone tracking.....DO NOT BECOME A VICTIM !!" does sound like a conspiracy theory.

Collapse -
Thread Officially Closed
by yelrah94 / January 23, 2012 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: No need to be rude

Thanks for all the helpful comments. This thread is officially closed, and my membership with CNET will be cancelled.
If I want any more opinionated comments about "conspiracy theories," I'll just call a Verizon CS rep.

I was not being rude but....
This is what rude looks like birdmantd, so next time you see it, you won't be confused. Good Day to ya.....

Collapse -
YOU ARE IN CONTROL, NOT HIM
by mkrock / January 23, 2012 9:23 AM PST

I've had some rude remarks thrown my way here at Cnet also... I let it start to ruffle my feathers, and then I say the heck with it... it's mind over matter, let them bother you or say "no, I won't let them have control, I am in control."

Best of luck to you and I sincerely hope you find the culprit causing you problems and you nail em in the balls, if they have any. Mary

Collapse -
Gee thanks...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 9:43 AM PST

Sorry you took it personally, but life goes on. Best wishes and I do hope you get a definitive answer.

Collapse -
watch this
by si / January 23, 2012 11:50 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.