Windows 7 forum

Question

Called internet found number for Acer support

by mlsdm / March 23, 2013 5:11 PM PDT

Got Roborant tech? Told me have viruses, Trojans, foreign users and need level 5 tech. Supposedly he fixed all of this for $200. I now wonder if I was scammed and someone now has access to my computer. How do I know what he really did?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Called internet found number for Acer support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Called internet found number for Acer support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If someone called you
by Jimmy Greystone / March 23, 2013 11:52 PM PDT

If someone called you and claimed that there was some kind of issue with your computer, then yes, you did get scammed. No large company, be it Microsoft, computer makers like Acer, security software vendors like Symantec or McAfee, will EVER call you about some issue they allegedly detected with your computer. If someone calls you claiming to work for them, and how they detected this or that issue with your computer, it is a scam. Hang up, and if you're in the US report the number to the FCC's Do Not Call List department/division/whatever, and I would also suggest filing a complaint about it with the FTC.

I know the FTC has filed lawsuits against these companies in the past, but a lot of times they'll just file for bankruptcy and set up shop under a new name, probably in some country where they're not known for being very receptive to requests from US law enforcement agencies about handing over evidence, let alone have an extradition treaty.

Collapse -
They did not call me. I called them.
by mlsdm / March 24, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: If someone called you

I was looking on internet for Acer support and this is the number I found. Apparently they are third party and Acer is hard to get hold of. If scammed, what do I need to do to protect my computer. This is for an Acer Aspire desktop Windows 7 system. When I called I was looking for wireless support. They said I was having trouble installing because of driver errors. Then they started looking through my system and showed me in task manager where applications were running that should not be. They pinged something and showed me 3 IP addresses they said were foriegn users. I don't know how to do that again, but when I look at task manager it looks the same to me. When I pull up event viewer there are a lot of errors and warnings for the time they were "fixing" it and the next 24 hours. I can't tell what they did. They were on for about 30 minutes fixing this.

Collapse -
You will need to share more
by Jimmy Greystone / March 24, 2013 4:50 AM PDT

You will need to share more, like specifically what search terms you used, or what website you went to in order to find this phone number. Not to be overly crass, but for all we know you called a phone sex number, and someone just happened to be willing to do some tech support type things for you. We do not know anything about the situation beyond what you have stated in your two posts.

Collapse -
The website search was Acer support
by mlsdm / March 24, 2013 7:45 AM PDT

There are several and not sure which I used but tech left note on computer Roboranttech
1-866-610-8954. Acer does not have a normal website which I can find with support.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's say it was fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 6:17 AM PDT

Around here the rate to put the machine into service is 120 to 150 without any work being done yet.

And virus/trojan removal is going to run more so the 200 seems about right.

-> You bring up the very reason folk often learn to deal with such things themselves (Grif has some very good posts about this in these forums) for free.

But as more consumers use PCs they need more help like this. Many just chuck the computer today and go get an iPad.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Same thing happened when I called "Brother Support"
by SQWASSER / April 4, 2013 11:57 AM PDT

I called the same number 1-866-610-8954 as they were the first in search for Brother Support on Google.

The "tech" was in my computer and said my computer had many viruses and trojans etc. and that I could take my printer and computer to Best Buy to by Symantic Virus protection for $450 or buy it from them and 2 years service for ONLY $299.99. I like you am afraid they did something to my computer because they were in it.

I looked up the phone number and the name of the company is Robarant.

What can be done to report this scam and make sure my computer (which I use for work!) is not damaged by them.?

Collapse -
Same thing happened to my wife when she Googled Outlook Supp
by lcrcnet / May 28, 2013 4:58 PM PDT

You need to look at the Url of the site that comes up in search engines. If you google American Airlines Reservations you are likely to get Orbitz or some other company to come up first.
Roborant has managed to game the search engines so they come up first when you search for support. Are they legit? Not in my book. They talked my wife into letting them access our computer although it was her online e-mail account that got hacked. She only needed to change the password online. Anyway, they told her our computer was infected and sold her a $200 service contract. Also they sold her a 3 year antivirus subscription for McAfee although we have Norton through our cable company for free. They did clean out some files in the start folder, other than that they caused a lot of trouble. They moved our files into a test directory and did not move them back to where they belong. My media server was broken and my printer did not work after they finished their work. It took me a day to undo what they did. Did they leave malicious software on our computer? I don't think so but don't know for sure. I just think they scare people into signing up for their services. I would not recommend them at all.

Collapse -
Answer
Symantec charges 99
by orlbuckeye / May 28, 2013 9:44 PM PDT

to remove viruses remotely. I had to use them once a few years back and they were able to clean my machine. They were able to do it remotely and they even reconnected after rebooting without having to reconnect.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.