PC Hardware forum

Calibration Error Message

by The ancient one / January 4, 2013 1:32 AM PST

This is what happens when I burn a CD - After the burning process appears to be completed and the CD is ejected; there is a message that there was a calibration error. Here is what I have tried so far to remedy the situation
1. I have tried using different brands of blank media - Same result
2. Tried burning a lowest speed setting 4X - Same result
3. Disabled IMAPI Service -- Same result
4. Tried to get drivers from manufactured but was unsuccessful.
5. Tried different CD burning software - Same result
My CD/DVD burning software is Roxio Easy Media Creater 7
Win XPsp3 home edition - Burner is made by NEC and like most of the rest of the computer is at least 10 years old.

Do you think I need a new burner?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Calibration Error Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Calibration Error Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I'd try a new DVDRW drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 1:47 AM PST

It's not been fun to watch folk try what you listed and more but as the last hurray you look for firmware for the drive after you clean the lens.

-> Again, there has NEVER been a driver update for CD drives for XP. A lot of folk have lost countless hours looking for, asking about it. Maybe it's unkind but how to answer this one?

Collapse -
PS. Called an antique in 2008.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 4:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Somewhat of an update
by The ancient one / January 4, 2013 4:33 AM PST

As far as firmware here is the message that was posted before downloading: "Firmware updates for NEC DVD drives will generally only add new media information and will not solve issues in conjunction with some software packages. If the firmware upgrade is not performed correctly or if the power supply is interrupted during the upgrade, the drive may be rendered unusable. If you wish to upgrade the firmware, you do so at your sole and exclusive risk. NEC takes no responsibility for any errors or problems with any firmware upgrade. This software is provided "as is" with no warranty whatsoever. NEC will not supply any technical service or support regarding this firmware or any upgrade". I will only try this as a last resort before buying a new burner.
Bob, in your post you mentioned cleaning the lens and I just happened to have a laser lens cleaner handy and ran that through the CD/DVD burner. The last several times I had tried using Roxio to burn a cd it did not recognize the burner only the cd in the cd player. So I tried CDburnerXP that I had downloaded from CNET and low and behold I was able to get a successful copy. Whether or not I will be able to burn any more CD's only time will tell. At the present time about the only CD's that I burn are to make copies of Hard copy software. I also think it might be a good idea to uninstall and reinstall Roxio.

Collapse -
CDBurnerXP is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Somewhat of an update

Well it's method of talking to drives is more of the LCD (lowest common denominator) line. Roxio tended to be very exact and to it's detriment.

Yes, I know new firmware won't fix a bad drive but we are talking last hurrahs versus last rites.

Collapse -
(NT) Longshot....what the model number for the optical drive ?
by VAPCMD / January 4, 2013 2:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Model Number
by The ancient one / January 4, 2013 4:17 AM PST

Collapse -
Might be worthwhile to check the optical drive firmware
by VAPCMD / January 4, 2013 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Model Number

Here's a link I found that might help ....

This is a firmware update for the NEC ND-1100A 4X DVD+RW drive. This update application will update the firmware on the drive to version '10GE'.
Release Date: 8/13/2003
Importance: Optional
Version: 10GE, A04

Might not hurt to use a lens cleaner on the optical drive.

PS...always had good results with Roxio Easy CD Creator...let us know how it works out.

Collapse -
Re: firmware
by The ancient one / January 5, 2013 12:37 AM PST

Followed your link although I did wonder why this was going through Dell when my computer has nothing to do with Dell unless NEC is somehow connected to Dell. I downloaded and unzipped the program but kept getting the message Target Drive Not Found. Also it is interesting to note that after using the lens cleaner I was able to get the burner to burn one CD but that was all. Because this is an old computer, I don't want to spend much money on another Burner since it would have to be one with PATA (IDE) connectors and the new computer that I will be building later this year will be using SATA components. So, I found online an inexpensive "portable" USB CD/DVD burner which I should be able to use on any computers I have around the house.

Collapse -
Good to hear you've got a solution for a CD-DVD that's
by VAPCMD / January 5, 2013 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Re: firmware

not functioning.

There's a couple of ways to approach firmware upgrades....the primary one is to go directly to the original drive mfg (NEC) who no longer supports/sponsors firmware for drive, to an OEM who uses the drive in a system they sell, or last to third parties...such as the one listed further below .

Does the drive work at all .... for reading CD or DVDs.

Any idea what firmware version/date does your drive have now?

Here's a couple of links with firmware for the ND1100A aka ND1200A and ND1300A

Collapse -
10yr. old drive
by Willy / January 5, 2013 8:56 PM PST

Be happy you got whatever out of this drive. It's been a long ride and it's time to move on. While other posters offered advise, I suggest you quit while you're ahead unless you want to learn more. the final result being it never gets corrected/fixed. Even, if it did, it's still a 10yr. drive. Get a new DVD-R/W drive(PATA type?) and be done with it and just maybe if you get the new kit, provided s/w too. It doesn't hurt to find used, either look at Craigslist local to you(CD drive $5, tops) or even the Goodwill.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I agree Willy
by The ancient one / January 6, 2013 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: 10yr. old drive

I feel that I have got more than my money's worth out of this computer and its components. Never did think to try Craigslist for a CD burner.

Collapse -
Willy...I got the impression he was happy...but then
by VAPCMD / January 6, 2013 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: 10yr. old drive

there's always "THE CHALLENGE'. And at this point what's the harm in trying ?

Collapse -
Learn mode available
by Willy / January 6, 2013 12:52 PM PST

I did post if you want to: "unless you want to learn more" option open. I just find that piddling around usually leads to negative results. In this case even good results will be left a 10yr. old drive. Sooner or later it becomes naught. Sometimes, you learn the hard or long drawn out way. enjoy the process... -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.