It's not been fun to watch folk try what you listed and more but as the last hurray you look for firmware for the drive after you clean the lens.
-> Again, there has NEVER been a driver update for CD drives for XP. A lot of folk have lost countless hours looking for, asking about it. Maybe it's unkind but how to answer this one?
This is what happens when I burn a CD - After the burning process appears to be completed and the CD is ejected; there is a message that there was a calibration error. Here is what I have tried so far to remedy the situation
1. I have tried using different brands of blank media - Same result
2. Tried burning a lowest speed setting 4X - Same result
3. Disabled IMAPI Service -- Same result
4. Tried to get drivers from manufactured but was unsuccessful.
5. Tried different CD burning software - Same result
My CD/DVD burning software is Roxio Easy Media Creater 7
Win XPsp3 home edition - Burner is made by NEC and like most of the rest of the computer is at least 10 years old.
Do you think I need a new burner?