Samsung forum

General discussion

by denmarfl / September 5, 2008 2:39 AM PDT

I have read the CNET article on the Samsung LN46A550....Which I own. Most articles you read about LCD TV's always seem to get around to read that Manufacturers Settings need tweaking for your Room. The 550 has Dynamic, Standard and Movie settings. I noted CNET's Calibration for the 550 is set using the Movie Mode which is the Mode I dislike the most, its much too muted for my taste. I was hoping to fine Calibration setting Tweaking them using the STANDARD Mode. It might be my imagination, my TV is 2 months old, but I was really pleased with the Picture Quality for the 1st couple of weeks of ownership more so than now. There are times when I see a "white Cast" in areas of the picture which reduces the Vividiness I has seen. Maybe its just now that I see such a sharp picture my standards are set too high, that is, I notice things that in the past were acceptable.

Doesn't anyone know what the settings are when the 550 is turned on the 1st time out of the Box?

Does anyone know if CNET or some other site has published Calibration settings for the 550 using the STANDARD MODE?

Has anyone Noticed the White Cast in some areas of the Picture as I have? Some commercials really come off very "Light", but I do disregard the quality of Commercials.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Calibration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Calibration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a matter of personal taste and environment
by Mr__S / September 8, 2008 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Calibration

Thanks for purchasing a Samsung unit!

You are correct that often times, people want to configure the settings for the particular room. Your post reflects the very purpose of calibrations, in that every person?s eyes see the same picture differently. However, there are some calibrations that tune colors to their ?most true?, where the grass isn?t as green, the sky isn?t as blue, etc. And while that picture may be mathematically close to reality and accurate in color spectrum, it doesn?t always suit the taste of the viewer. Such is the case of Movie Mode.

That particular article may have been tuned to a theatre room, where there is little to no ambient light in the room ? the very purpose of movie mode. In a brighter room, it may not look as desirable.

The settings out of the box will usually default to Dynamic. You can reset your settings if you?d like. The instructions are on page 24 of your owner?s manual, or you can get there through the menu:

Picture Mode > Picture Reset > OK

You can always look around the internet and see what other people recommend and try their settings. However, if someone suggests that you to go into the ?Service Menu?, don?t. I would highly recommend that you NEVER go into the Service Menu. You could damage your television.

We added the ?Detailed Settings? in the menu to do pretty much everything you?d want to do to tweak your television. And if you run into trouble, you can always reset your television like noted above.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
by denmarfl / September 9, 2008 12:20 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply. If I am not mistaken, when you go to Picture Mode, and lets say its set for Standard, when you use the Reset Picture menu item it only Resets the Standard Mode factory settings for Standard. The reset does not, or at least it did not appear to me, to reset settings in the other modes, Dynamic or Movie you would need to repeat RESET for each. I have been keeping my settings (LN46A550) in Standard and when I used the Reset, it remianed in the Standard setting, it did not go to Dynamic. I was looking for a reset that would reset all the settings to the way (Factory) they were set when the TV was turned on for the 1st time. Is there such a Reset?

I was so pleased with my Samsung the 1st 3 weeks of use, it was vivid, brillant. My picture just does not 'pop" out anymore. I am not sure if its the TV, or my Cable companies signal. The depth perception is lacking and at times the picture is flat (and its on an HD Channel broacasting ian HD Program)and looks like a picture would look if someone shined a dim light on it, dimmed down in color\Contrast and brillance.

When I decided I was going to purchase a Flat panel TV it wasn't about what Brand, that decision was I was only going to buy a SamSung, the search was only about which model SamSung. So having such high expectations, I am somewhat disappointed...but again, don't know if its the TV or Signal.....

Collapse -
a few things to try...
by Mr__S / September 9, 2008 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Settings

Again, thanks for your support of Samsung products. I can?t imagine that the panel just dimmed for no reason at all, so let?s see if we can help you get that vibrant picture back.

I?m not aware of any factory reset mode in the user menu. However, I have a second idea here that should do the trick.

With your television on,
> Push the volume button until the volume bar appears on the screen
> Press and hold the menu button for 10 seconds.
Wait until you see ?Shop Mode? flash on the television (bottom center of screen)

You don?t want to stay in shop mode. So we?ll repeat the process:

> Push the volume button up quickly until you see the volume bar appear
> Press and hold the menu button until you see ?Dynamic Mode? flash on the television.

Using your remote, see if that changes your settings for the other modes. That?s usually a quick reset.

The other option is to unplug the television for a spell, and then plug it in, though I?m not sure exactly how long those settings remain with the unit unplugged. I?d suggest pushing the power button with it unplugged to release any remaining voltage and let it sit for a bit.

We?re here for you, keep us posted!

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Your Suggestions
by denmarfl / September 10, 2008 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: a few things to try...

Since you wrote either process would work I followed the "Unplugging" method. I know the TV is in HOME that is what I selected when the TV was initially powered on. Further, the STORE Mode resets the TV's setting after a set time period to return its setting to Store Mode, my Personalized settings don't change.....ever. As have the MODE set to STANDARD and I have only tried changing\reducing the backlight and brightness...but still can't get back that vibrant picture I saw the first 3 to 4 weeks of Use.

At any rate, removed all Power from the TV, I did press the Power Button on the side of the LN46A550 and it did release stored power because when pressed it sounded like the TV was going to power heard the Click and then the RED Power Light went off. I left the TV without any power for 1 Hour. When I restored the power and turned the TV on I fully expected to see the Initial Setup Procedure displayed(STORE\HOME USE, Language\Signal type, set in Dynamic, etc)...but did not. I assumed that the loss of Power would power the TV on as if it were just taken out of the box, but it appears even without Power for an hour the TV holds the Initial\personalized settings. The TV came back on and it came back on set to STANDARD. I don't see any difference in Picture quality.

Collapse -
Are you still there for me?
by denmarfl / September 17, 2008 7:57 AM PDT

I have replied to you several times with no response...could be you are busy with others. Would appreciate you reviewing my replied and your continued assistance. Thanks

Collapse -
Posted incorrectly
by denmarfl / October 9, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

You posted your question as a reply to my you'll want to re-Post your question in the proper Forum as a New Entry.

I however would like to know where you ordered the DVE Calibration Disks? Please provide Phone\Website..etc where you ordered disk and if you don't mind price as I might want to order one myself.

I have researched the AVS forum and did find others that Calibrated their TV's and used their settings....altering a few settings to achieve a Display of my liking.

Collapse -
Researching your issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 10, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

Sorry about the delay.

Without the methods Mr. Samsung listed above, the best way to reset the unit is to have a service technician reset it to factory defaults. There is a way to do it, but it should only be done by an Authorized Samsung Dealer.

Collapse -
Settings question
by vas377 / October 9, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

I have had my LN52A650 for a little over a month now, and my husband and I are VERY pleased with the picture it delivers.

We have ordered a calibration disk called DVE. It should be arriving by the end of the week.

Here come the questions:

1. We live in Florida, and sometimes if there is a hurricane, we might lose power for a long period of time ( 2 to 4 days ). If this happens, would the settings that we end up with after our calibration, be lost?

2. If your answer to question #1 is yes, what is the best way to restore those settings? Going through each setup page and writing all that down, or.... ( and this is something i wonder if your engineers have thought about ), since you can flash the firmware on these sets, why not have the reverse proceedure, and write the calibration settings to a usb flash drive ( or am i really reaching LOL ).

3. I take it that when we do our calibration with that DVD, that we need to do that for each mode, AND also for each HDMI input????

Thank you for your time.

Collapse -
Still there for me?
by denmarfl / September 11, 2008 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings

Have not heard back from regarding mine of 9/10? Have you had a chance to review it?

I did notice on page 85 of my Manual that came with my LN46A550, the Appendix...Troubleshooting.... Last items:

PROBLEM "The Reset All settings to the default values Message appears"

POSSIBLE SOLUTION...."This appears when you press and hold the EXIT button for a while. The Product settings are reset to the factory defaults"

Is this the way to reset ALL Settings to Factory Settings....puts all the settings back to the way the TV was when it was taken out of the Box?

What this does not detail is, how long do you HOLD the EXIT button....and after whatever time lenght is required are all Factory settings back to Factory default settings, or do you get another message that allows you to Select yes to reset, or NO to cancel, and, finally, is their a confirmation message when the TV is Reset?

Collapse -
by chestateeridge / September 11, 2008 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Calibration

You may want to check out avs forums. Before buying my a650 I located a very detailed calibration format that many had used for the 550.

Collapse -
Need More Info
by denmarfl / September 11, 2008 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: calibration

I would like very much to check out avs forums. Are you able to provide a link or URL?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.