Samsung forum

General discussion

Calibrating a LED LCD un55b8000? Any suggestions?

by unpaidintern / May 16, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

Does anyone have any thoughts on calibration for a UN55B8000. I just got mine setup and love it. However I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible picture.

Do LCD Tv's need calibration like Plasma Tv's?

Can it be calibrated through service menu or just are just the regular picture settings menu just the same? If I should do it through the regular settings menu, does anyone have suggestions or settings they have setup they can share?

Last, if its a difficult process to do should I have it professionally calibrated? Is it worth it? I'm tech savvy but don't want to damage anything since I'm a newbie at HDTV calibration.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Calibrating a LED LCD un55b8000? Any suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Calibrating a LED LCD un55b8000? Any suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few suggestions:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2009 8:36 AM PDT

There is a HDTV Picture Settings forum on C|Net here:

I didn't see your model listed, but you can open up a new one for your television. If you track the threads by clicking the track thread box, you'll be notified when new responses come in.

The Detailed Settings menu allows you to adjust most of the picture settings to some very very specific settings. This is so you can tune your television without having to go into the service menu. I never recommend going into the service menu unless you're an authorized technician or calibration expert.

As far as professional calibrations go, they can be great. They will adjust the panel to the size and amount of brightness in your room - in many cases, however, you can get a great picture without having to do a calibration.

One note that I would like to point out is that <u>if you update your firmware, a professional calibration goes away</u>, as the defaults are completely reset. Now you might write down your picture and Detailed Settings values, but if a professional calibration tech goes into the service menu and adjusts things there, that will affect the values in your Picture and Detail Settings menus.

Most people can get "close enough" and a fantastic picture without having to pay for it, and still get every bit of enjoyment out of their television sets.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
settings from Tweaktv
by Saaditani / January 18, 2010 10:18 PM PST

The setting from tweaktv are too dark & pale don't you agree?

Collapse -
Calibrating a LED LCD TV
by ducati2010 / April 27, 2010 3:09 AM PDT

I agree with the tech gentleman. If you are truly happy watching what you have, then why spend the extra cash. I was just at Best Buy this weekend looking at the 47" Samsung LED and they want $400 to come out and calibrate the TV. Ask yourself, Will spending that final $400 tweak of the picture be that noticeable and does it really warrant that much cash? When does it end? In fact, if we are dropping around $2000 for a TV, why should we spend more money "calibrating"? Why can't they make a TV that's calibrated? It should be so we can easily tweak "calibrate" ourselves. If your happy, then stay with what you have.

Collapse -
should have like "scene settings" options
by LinTech / September 22, 2012 12:45 PM PDT

I was just at BestBuy also and was about to buy a 50" Samsung LED TV. I agree with ducati2010. ..or at least have the manufacturers provide pre-calibrated settings options, something like the scene settings found in digital cameras. Consumers need not have to dish out a price like that (equivalent to another tv!) just for calibration!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.