TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Cable or Satellite for Best HD picture Quality?

by Stonecold316 / December 27, 2007 4:49 AM PST

I have a Sony KDL-46XBR4 and all of the HD channels look blurry.The sports,shows,and movies blurry and very pixalted and I see the triple image effect sometimes but, only on ESPN.The TV looked amazing at the store when they were showing spiderman 3 on it so I know its capable of showing great picture quality.How do I know if its the TV or the satellite provider that gives me bad picture quality?For video games it look awesome.I was thinking of replacing the Sony for another one of the same model or get the Panasonic 50pz700u.But I hear that LCD's outlast plasma's is that true?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable or Satellite for Best HD picture Quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable or Satellite for Best HD picture Quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My only knowledge
by dinox64 / December 27, 2007 6:18 AM PST

Satellite is an all digital signal. Cable is analog or you pay extra for a digital signal. Digital is a better choice but soon,and i'm sure some one will state the year,2008-09-10, all broadcasts will be in digital format. As for the poor picture display. If all channels but ESPN are clear then I wouldn't think it's the set. But then again LCD is not a good choice for fast moving displays such as sports. So i've read here and on other sites. You don't say if it's during a game or if it's also happening during comercials or commentary. Now as far as longevity. Plasma is rated as high as 60,000 hours of viewing capacity. The most i've seen for LCD is 20,000 hours.

Collapse -
No easy answer as to what source is best.
by NM_Bill / December 27, 2007 6:51 AM PST

I have cable & had to be polite but firm in order to get their guys out multiple times until the most knowledgable & forthright knew how their system was old of balance. It affected the potential or the entire neighborhood; not just me. Various problems may be to blame. Defective cable box, poor connections, etc, the list goes on.

Nowadays, I'd give Dish Network the edge for potential. I rely on my cable for internet high speed. Give me a good alternative & I'd drop cable like a hot potato.

LCDs may have greater POTENTIAL lifetime, but plasmas should last 20 years or so, so why be concerned?

How do you know what your problem is? It'd be nice to have an electronics guru as a next door neighbor. You can do some comparison like component vs. HDMI connectors to see what does better for you. That Sony of yours is not any puny off brander. You need to get very close to its potential out of it. If you're made of money, replace it & send it to me. But you already do have high quality.

Yes, your difficulty is being very remote from your satellite provider. It is not insignificant for you to get one of their guys out & be forthright as to if the satellite service is up to potential. It will cost a service call, but I'd consider it necessary to know. A close friend of mine got satellite for TV & computer when moving to a rural area, but recently dumped them as impossibly bad.

Collapse -
We need more info to help
by Dan Filice / December 27, 2007 8:55 AM PST

Just saying that your TV is blurry is too vague. Is this on all HD channels or SD and HD? Also, and more importantly, how do you have your HD cable box hooked up to your TV? It should be connected via component or HDMI. Anything else is not capable of delivering true HD. And, I'm assuming that you do have an HD cable box.

Collapse -
Cable or Satellite for Best HD picture Quality?
by Stonecold316 / December 27, 2007 12:46 PM PST

I'm adding to my previous post.My HDTV is hooked up to Directv HD receiver with a Monster HDMI cable and I even used the HDMI cable from the satellite provider and the picture quality is the same.The closer I get to my TV the more pixelated and washed the picture quality becomes.This happens to ALL channels SD and HD especially in the background.I see the triple image effect only on ESPN and only when sportscenter starts.Standard definition is unbearable.Only sports andvideo games look great but when the camera zooms in on players faces I see blurryness and pixelization and picture doesn't seem smooth especially in the background.

Collapse -
First step
by Dan Filice / December 27, 2007 2:09 PM PST

You say the TV looks good when playing video games. Do you have a DVD player hooked to the TV? If so, how do DVDs look? If both of those look good, then I'm suspicious of the satellite box. If there is a problem with a TV, it generally shows up in all inputs. I might start by calling the satellite company to complain. Just tell them that the picture looks terrible and have them come out to determine if it's their box or the TV. This should not cost anything. See what they say first. Sometimes you get someone who knows what they're doing and if it's not the satellite box, they might know a proper setting on the TV.

Collapse -
satalite
by bigash85 / January 7, 2008 4:22 AM PST

hd and cable high def should be the same but if i had to choose id get satalite dish network has great deals and free bees

check out this link for good deals
http--www.vmcsatellite.com-aid=275778

Collapse -
STONE COLD
by stewart norrie / January 7, 2008 6:53 AM PST

YOU SHOULD HAVE A STUNNING PICTURE ONE QUESTION HAVE YOU ORDERED THE HI-DEF PACKAGE./ stewee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.