Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Cable Modem that Supports VOIP

by baybreeze / February 5, 2012 3:02 AM PST

If one has internet and phone service through Cable, I know you can buy your own modems and routers, but is there a particular kind of modem you'd need to get to support VOIP for the phone?

A friend of mine has phone through Cable and her internet and phone suddenly stopped working, although her TV service is fine. We are thinking that maybe the cable company's modem is bad, so she wants to buy her own modem, but we're not sure if it needs to be a particular type of modem. I've looked around for her, but haven't found anything in modem specs stating they support VOIP. Does it matter? Or can you buy any cable modem?

We already looked at the cable providers website to see their supported modems, but they are all the same brand as the one she has that doesn't work. She already has a wireless router, which she will plug into the modem she buys, so we're only looking for answers regaring a modem.

Any help would be appreicated!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable Modem that Supports VOIP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable Modem that Supports VOIP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Something's a miss here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2012 11:39 AM PST

Here my phone is from the cable co and if my phone stops the cable co replaces the MTA if need be.

You didn't tell which VOIP service you used and you can't replace a MTA like you are asking.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What cable company does she have.
by ahtoi / February 5, 2012 6:08 AM PST

I have Time Warner and the phone modem is free. Any reason why she can't have them just replace the defective one? Or maybe her phone (voip) service is not the cable company supported service?

Collapse -
VoIP/Cable
by bill012 / February 5, 2012 9:47 PM PST

There really is no completely free VoIP service. At some point you must connect to the phone network and the company must recover these costs. So first determine who you pay for the service.

Since you lost both the internet AND the voice I would suspect it is more of a billing issue. A lot of cable modems do not actually send the data over your internet connection they use a special method to transfer the data that ensures better quality of service. It is unlikely you would lose both these but not the TV.

Cable modems for internet are getting more standard but the voice part is still not their yet so you will need to ask you ISP exactly which models they support in your area. Many of the ones that have the ability to plug phones into them are leased with your contract so they will replace them for free.

If you have to pay for a modem you may want to consider just using a simple cable modem (pretty much any work on most systems) and getting your voice from another provider or just use cell phones like many people do.

Collapse -
She has Comcast
by baybreeze / February 6, 2012 8:20 AM PST

She has Comcast triple play - TV, internet, and phone. She was wanting to buy her own modem and wanted to know if she needed a specific kind of cable modem that will work with cable phone service.However, she called Comcast over the weekend and they found her current modem was fine. There was a power outage last week and apparently something happened where Comcast no longer recognized her modem or router, hence she lost her internet and phone service (although she still had TV service). They had to reconfigure some things and now it's back up and working fine.

I am still curious, though, if one needs a special kind of cable modem for phone service through cable. I am thinking of switching my phone to cable and I bought my own cable modem and wireless router rather then rent from Comcast. So if I do this, can I still use my current modem and router?

Collapse -
I had Comcast and they use what is called a MTA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2012 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: She has Comcast

Comcast sold me the MTA for 75 bucks when I left so that's the cost to look for, Google MTA to decipher what that is.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.