Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cable Modem and Wireless Modem/Router Combo Help

by WO_isdabomb / February 10, 2010 5:17 PM PST

Hi there:

I've got a problem, currently I am subscribed to cable broadband that's connected to a wired cable modem. I've also got a Wireless/modem router combo which Doesn't have a WAN port - Only 4 LAN ports and a phone line input for ADSL. I'd like to access the internet wirelessly but the only way to connect the cable modem to the Wireless modem/router is through a CAT5 cable.

From past experience I know that I can turn a wireless router into a access point by disabling DHCP and setting the LAN IP to a IP which is in the DHCP range of the modem. I'm wondering is that possible in this case? Also if so, how do i find out the DHCP range of the cable modem? (since I have no idea how to access it - seems to be different from a normal ADSL modem) If this set up doesn't work (either because it's a cable modem or it's a modem/router combo), what would make it work so that I can get internet wirelessly?

I know this is a lot to read, but if someone can just provide website for me to read up on this then I can go study it myself.

Thank you in advance
Cheers Grin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable Modem and Wireless Modem/Router Combo Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable Modem and Wireless Modem/Router Combo Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partial information only
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2010 7:39 PM PST

I don't know your hardware as you didn't give manufacturer model #. You said one device didn't have a WAN port but a phone line for ADSL. What service do you have? Cable or DSL? This makes a difference as to which device connects to what. Anyway, a partial answer I can give is that whatever you choose as a router will be gateway address. You determine that by connecting your PC to it. Set your PC's wired device to dynamic (DHCP) addressing. Connect to either router/modem device and restart it. Go to Run and type command. From the command window type ipconfig. You'll see an entry for gateway. That address, if all is working, is the router. You can attempt to access that router's web interface through a browser and do your setups from there. You'll be asked for a password. If you don't know the admin name and password, you have to reset the router to defaults and try again. For this, you need the router's manual which you have to find on the web if you don't have a copy of it or a CD that goes with it. Happy hunting.

Collapse -
addendum....I missed something
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2010 8:29 PM PST

Ok, you are on cable. I skim too much. If you think your other wireless router is capable of being an AP, you still need to get into its web interface to do so. You can still find that address by temporarily using it as a DHCP server if it has that capacity. You'd still connect it to your PC and look for it's gateway address and attempt to enter the web interface through a browser. There's a forum sticky at the top that's often referenced as a guide to connecting two routers. Go through those posts first.

Collapse -
Only one way . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 10, 2010 7:59 PM PST

Since you are on cable, the DSL unit is a door stop, no way to get it to work with cable. The cable modem is just that, a modem. You need to get a wireless router to connect to the cable modem. Only way to get what you want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.