Samsung forum

General discussion

C6500 Flame -- Horrid Customer Service

by SoCalUser / May 1, 2010 12:09 PM PDT

Sorry guys, I've got to vent.

Bought Samsung BD-C6500 on 10 April. Setup not bad. Plays standard DVDs really well.

Wireless internet setup doesn't work -- passes all the internet connectivity tests just fine. But won't give me the Internet@TV login. OK, so I call customer service. They *READ* the manual back to me.. Ok, I'll play along, and reset the machine, reestablish the internet connection and nothing happens. Same problem. Machine still shows "excellent" wifit signal strength and passes all the internet connectivity tests. So I call customer service back. Rep starts over reading me the manual again... repeats all the previous steps. OK, let's do it again... Now they want to send me to 2nd level support. OK..

OK, I'm on the West Coast, and I work until 6 pm. 2nd level customer support is only open until 530 pm Pac Time. So.. wait until Saturday, call back customer support. They close trouble tickets in 48 hours.. so they have to re-open a ticket, do all the steps as done before (reading me the manual again...), and then they send me to 2nd level customer support.

Yay! Hopefully someone who knows enough to do more than read me the manual. The 2nd level customer support guy says "Oh, to do that we need to have the Samsung Internet@TV server up, and its been down for a week" "Is there a way to check if its up?" "No, only we at Samsung know that. It should be back up in another day, so try again..."

So I try again. Resetting the box to the initial settings, unplugging/ restarting the box, restarting the wifi connections, verifying the connection is good, etc.. But no joy. Still won't do the Internet@TV thing after a week of trying.

Call back to Customer Support the next Saturday I'm home and restart the process. Meanwhile I've gotten Avatar Blu Ray, and of course, it wont play. But lets get the internet connection solved first. Go through 1st level customer support, and they read the manual back to me again. Ok been there, done that. Then they send me to 2nd level customer support. They're baffled. Send me to 3rd Level customer support (How many levels are there anyway?) And they promise to call me back.. and of course, in 8 hours don't bother. OK. let's see if they call at some reasonable time, or I start this over next week ... again, for the 5th time.

Meanwhile I say.. OK, let's try the firmware support. Of course it won't do it over the internet (despite passing all the connection tests, won't download any upgrades). So I check the support web page, do the registration and login etc.

And of course.. WILL NOT DOWNLOAD the upgrade. Nor will it download the intstructions on how to do the USB upgrade. Get a "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage". I get to the page which shows where to download the files, but wont download with the previous error message. OK.. try to contact Samsung web page. Email/ message link also broken.

OK.. at this point I'm ***??!!! Customer service is starting to not only appear to be clueless but to be malicous. My temperature is about to the point I'm going to take a baseball bat to the Blu Ray player.

*Deep breath* OK. good points: BD-C6500 is a nice looking piece of hardware. Plays standard DVDs very well. Remote stucks but I can live with that.

But.. a) It doesn't play Blu-Ray discs, and I bought it do to that -- and b) I bought it to give me wifi internet connection and it doesn't do that either. Huhhh????

Have called customer service 4 times so far. No joy. Have tried the Samsung web page to download files and contact them multiple times. No joy.

***???!!! HORRID Customer service.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C6500 Flame -- Horrid Customer Service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C6500 Flame -- Horrid Customer Service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
C6500 Flame -- Horrid Customer Service
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 1, 2010 4:01 PM PDT

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem.

Assuming you're looking for the U.S. firmware, the firmware can be downloaded here:

The instructions can be downloaded here:

I do apologize that you weren't able to get your issues addressed, but if I can assist here, I'll do what I can to make this as easy as possible.

I see that you've attempted to download the firmware before through the Blu-Ray player's network, but if you haven't tried doing that without a disc inserted, try it that way. (It's always a good idea to make sure the disc tray is empty.)

Keep me posted.

Collapse -
Still no Joy...
by SoCalUser / May 2, 2010 4:54 AM PDT

HD-Tech --

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried multiple times to download the firmware update. The link goes to "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I presume you've done the tinyurl link to the Samsung web page? Particularly the firmware update page on I've tried that multiple times.. The link apparently is broken, and has been for more than 24 hours. This is the link I'm using, from the web page under firmware updates. Three sub links on that page, 2 pdf files and a zip file. None will download. It seems a bit odd, doesnt it, that I can get just about every other web page on the web page system except those?

I was able to download the instructions from the link you provided, which is the first step forwards in a couple of weeks to resolve this. However, without the upgrade, the instructions are interesting but not much use.

Yes, I've done this without a disc in the machine (says you need to do it without a disc in the manual, and I've read it multiple times...). I've also run an ethernet cable to the machine and tried directly linking to the internet (and yes, after resetting it to a wired connection). Passes all the network tests but won't either go to Internet@TV or upgrade firmware. Rebooted the router. Rebooted the Blu Ray machine back to factory settngs at least a half a dozen times, and reestablished internet connectivity, and reverified its connected each time.

My frustration is that I keep getting sent to try something else, only to find that either its not available on the web site (where I was directed to get it...),or to use instructions that are incomplete or not available, and finding general cluelessness or "hey, its your problem" attitude in the phone customer service.

I am greatly appreciative of the help, but so far I'm rating Samsung at about 1 out of 10 for service and ease of use.

Very frustrating...

Collapse -
update -- firmware upgraded, no wifi yet
by SoCalUser / May 3, 2010 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Still no Joy...

Update: I checked the web site again today, and what-do-you-know, you can now downlaod the firmware update. Thanks to HD Tech for giving me the instructions, so I was able to successfully update the firmware. Yay! I can now play the Avatar Blu Ray DVD!

Still haven't succeeded to actually get the Internet@TV wireless connection working -- got the usual failure screen. But at least the Blu Ray player now actually will play Blu Ray movies.. A step forwards and this means the system isn't totally worthless. Still doesn't do what it was advertised as doing.. but I remain hopeful.

Thank you HD Tech.. Hopefully I'll figure out the rest this week/ weekend when I have time to fiddle with it.

FYI -- still have had no call from "Third Level Technical support" which was supposed to have called within 24-48 hours ...

Collapse -
update -- firmware upgraded, no wifi yet
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2010 2:47 PM PDT

Good to hear.

Are you able to connect to your wireless router? Keep me posted on your progress on this, as the SETUP > Network > Wireless should be pretty basic if you've got WEP or similar encryption.

What error message do you get?

I'll do what I can here to help, so keep me posted.

Collapse -
Passes all network tests, but won't connect to Internet@TV
by SoCalUser / May 5, 2010 3:33 AM PDT

Hello HD_tech

I can set up the wifi connection on the 6500 using the WEP. When I run the network tests through the 6500, it gives me all green checks that its completed the tests correctly and the wifi connection is working to the internet. However, when I go to the Internet@TV menu to intialize it, it does the "initializing" and "installing" for some seconds then puts says something like "You must be connected to the internet to initialize the Internet@TV service". I never get the privacy and terms screens which are needed to start the Internet@TV service. I've rebooted the 6500 box, rebooted the router, reconnected the wifi, verified the connection via the network tests in the 6500 and gotten the same response.
When I called the customer support folks a couple of weeks ago and made it through to 2nd level support, they said this was because the Internet@TV server at Samsung was down, and "try it again in a couple of days"... Is there a way to see if the server is up? I can't find a way to check this, nor did 2nd level support offer any way for me to check the Internet@TV server status.
If you go to the support site and read through the FAQ's or trace down through the troubleshooting guide, this is also the solution given from the entry for "Internet@TV Does not Load But The Network Test Passes". Note I had read this before calling 2nd level support.... Last time I called 2nd level support, the tech was totally unaware of this and unable to check the status of the server for me.. (And yes, you have to get to 2nd level support evidently before they can check the status of the server....)

Collapse -
Passes all network tests, but won't connect to Internet@TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 5, 2010 12:00 PM PDT

I don't have any response from that team yet. I'm working on finding out what the problem is. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Collapse -
Are you using Verizon Fios for your internet service?

Hi, so interesting to see your post. We recently purchased a LN46C670 (essentially a Best Buy exclusive version of the 650 from what I can tell) and I am having the same trouble...all connections pass - but NO connection, just like you described. I also could not access the firmware upgrade or even the PDF instruction file, just like you described, and I tried for days. I also live in Southern California (South Bay area). About a week before we got the TV, we switched our phone and internet service to Verizon Fios. We have spent approximately 3 hours on the phone EACH with both Samsung and Verizon, with zero results. Verizon had absolutely no explanation why I could not access the Samsung support files. The Verizon guy could get them, my spouse could even get them at work, but here at the house...uh, no. Anyway, we are about to return the TV since we are still within the 30 day return window...we might ask the Best Buy Geek Squad if they can connect it there at the store so we know whether or not it is the TV or our internet service. Since I noticed your username contained SoCal, I guess I am just wondering if you, by chance, are also using Verizon Fios for your internet service, and if so, might that possibly be our mutual problem? The TV itself is beautiful, so I will be bummed if it just isn't going to work at our house for some mysterious frustrating! Or, if you have since found a solution, what was it? Thanks so much!

Collapse -
Same problem with Samsung BD C65000 DVD Player
by brfsl / June 19, 2010 12:43 PM PDT

I have had the exact same problems with Samsung I have not found anybody that has been able to get to internet@tv with fios as their provider I think Samsung should put a disclaimer on their packaging that it wont work with fios so Fios customers can make another choice. If I can connect in another day or so I will return and buy a Sony or a LG I already have a LG that works and this was for my other setup. I dont think I will ever buy or look at a Samsung product again and I will probably bad mouth them as much as I have time for. Their support people in the Philippines are not properly trained they are just reading from an instructional tree with no technical understanding.

Collapse -
Another Samsung/Verizon failure (BD-C6500)
by SirEbrum / June 24, 2010 8:13 AM PDT

Same here..
Verizon FIOS. Cant download from the Samsung site via PC or by BD-C6500 (firmware or Internet@TV). I've connected wirelessly and wired. I've tried placing the IP address of my PC and the Blu-Ray player in the DMZ, and it makes no difference. A friend of mine, who doesn't use Verizon as an ISP downloaded and was able to get the firmware via USB thumb-drive (now up to 1012.6) but it still doesn't work.
- All internal diagnostics pass, regardless of the connection.

Verizon support states it's not their problem and they wont help us. "Your best bet is to use the Verizon forums as the Network Engineers log in there all the time to answer questions.."

I have a bad feeling that I'll be returning the Blu-Ray to Dell for a refund. "Happy Fathers Day".

Collapse -
Yep... another FIOS customer..
by SoCalUser / June 24, 2010 1:59 AM PDT

Interesting... yes I have Verizon FIOS as well.

Collapse -
I gave up and returned the Samsung 6500
by brfsl / June 24, 2010 2:16 AM PDT

Sansung never called back and verizon technical support did all they could. I returned the Samsung 65000 . I purchased the LG bd590 and I am looking forward to getting it . I already have another LG and it works with Fios.

Collapse -
Same isues with 6500
by rsupak / July 3, 2010 11:23 AM PDT

I'm having the same issues with my 6500 I just purchased last weekend. The only difference is I have Verizon DSL here in TX.

Collapse -
Internet@TV FIX!
by rsupak / July 3, 2010 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Same isues with 6500

I believe I have found a fix for those of us with Verizon Internet. I changed my DNS servers from Verizon?s over to Google?s on my DLink router and Internet@TV now works. Here is the link for Google's free DNS servers. I can also now download the firmware and manuals from Samsungs site.

Collapse -
Why doesn't Samsung fix this?
by SoCalUser / July 30, 2010 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet@TV FIX!

Hmm.. not sure I'm going to mess with a hardwired proprietary set up router yet.

I'm just surprized that Samsung hasn't bothered to address this. And I'm definitely not impressed by Samsung's service group

a) Never got a call back from Samsung service, including the promised service call backs from 2nd and 3rd level service folks. *That* was surprizing, and disappointing. It's sort of like they were ducking the issue...

b) Never found anyone at Samsung who was able to add anything to help me resolve this issue, anywhere. The closest was HDtech here on this forum, who provided links to a couple of existing Samsung sites which weren't in the standard Samsung help pages. But nothing he suggested worked.

c) Considering that this appears to be a Verizon FIOS/ Samsung incompatability issue, its VERY surprizing this isn't a priority to work. As of a year ago (June 2009) Verizon FIOS internet had 3.1 Million subscribers, and was offered to over 14 Million homes in the US. They continue to add about 1 Million additional subscribers per year. Given there are about 90 million householes in the US, this implies that from 3-16% percent of all households in the US have been now ruled out as potential Samsung Internet@TV customers. That's huge.. If this problem is also (as reported) an issue with some DSL subscribers, the impact is even greater. So I'm VERY surprized, this hasn't been resolved as a priority at Samsung.

I've not gotten it to work yet, after spending an estimated 40 hours of personal time to resolve this. I'm about to give up, and write this off as bad product design and support by Samsung, which goes as a big black bad mark against their product quality in my book. I'll post that everywhere I run across an opportunity for online reviews, and state that to anyone who asks me my personal opinion on this.

Collapse -
Why doesn't Samsung fix this?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 3, 2010 9:27 AM PDT

It should be working. I was given the word that this issue should be resolved, and several posts I've seen indicate that it's now working. Are you still having the issue?

Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500T Wi-Fi Connectivity
by jisitt / February 13, 2011 12:55 AM PST

I had the same problem: an apparent "physical connection" but no real world connectivity. After several hours of submitting and resubmitting wireless security credentials (an SSID and WEP settings), I temporarily permitted my otherwise hidden SSID to be broadcast after which I was able to connect properly. The connection has persisted since I re-hid the SSID.

* There are likely still some bugs in the firmware including the most recent version.

* The PC Share Manager software, which must be downloaded on your desktop computer, can only be described as demented. While it can be made to work, it is counter-intuitive in the extreme and must be redone of Samsung is to avoid further flak. There's no reason why the BD-C6500T should not utilize native Windows Networking via so-called "shares" like a Western Digital Media Players, for example.

* The Canadian Netflix service works quite well over even a Wireless G network. With a Linksys WRT54-G2 router, I have experienced two very minor re-buffering incidents in perhaps six hours of use.

* Blu-ray Disc and DVD playback performance is very good.

Collapse -
BD6500 does not show Firmware Upgrade Screen for USB
by hpostal / December 19, 2010 6:30 AM PST

BluRay Player - BD-C6500/XAA

F/W Upgrade Method by USB flash drive
How to upgrade the Blu-ray Disc Player
1.Remove any Disc, the display should read "No Disc"
2.Insert the USB flash drive into the Blu-ray player while itis ON.
3.Press [Enter] on the OK to upgrade firmware. NOT HAPPENING

4.The power willbe turned off and on at the beginning ofthe firmware upgrade. The
upgrade progress bar will be appeared. 6.When the update is completed the Blu-ray Disc Player willbe turned offautomatica
7.Remove the USB flash drive.
8.Itis now safe to power on your Blu-ray Disc Player

Collapse -
BD-C6500t with DLINK DIR-615 Router
by 1iRAM / December 19, 2010 12:55 PM PST

I've been trying all weekend to get this BD player to connect to PC Share Manager. Connects fine wired, but can't go wireless. Wired is not an option, being in two level house. Can't see the player on PC Share Manager to "Accept" the damn "Device Policy".

What I've tried to no avail...

- New Samsung Player ...1019 (Netflix) firmware
- Open DMZ to IP
- Remove Firewall & Antivirus
- Call 3 times for support (no 2nd level support available)
- Support closes 5:30 (PST), so no help.
- Even exchange the BD-C6500, but no difference.

Internet@TV works fine. IP address static or dynamic works fine for Internet@TV. DLINK DIR615 Router see's it. Can Ping it fine. UPnP & Multicast are open and available.

Very disappointed in Samsung support and the crap they sell without support. Not even in the same league a Japanese products.

If I can't get support this week, I'm returning it and no Samsung for me EVER!!!

Very pissed off.

Collapse -
If you research the 614 and 615
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 1:01 PM PST

You discover a router that buckles (crashes) from torrent and other use. It appears that Samsung needs to just come out of the corner and tell us which routers work and which don't.

After fixing this too many times with a demo of a better router or by switching to OpenDNS I remain unconvinced it's a Samsung issue.

Collapse -
DLINK DIR-655 not DIR-615
by 1iRAM / December 20, 2010 12:36 PM PST

My mistake. My router is DIR-655 (currently selling), very reliable and does crash with torrents, etc.

Samsung finally got a word from their "teir 3 tech supports" staff. They mention they are well aware of the problem and are working on it. I'll be emailed a solution very shortly (like in 24 - 48 hrs). I have my doubts.

I can't see how a manufacturer of wireless Blu-ray players/TVs can sell thier product as wireless, and have no way of getting it to work. Product needs to be tested with routers of at least the major maufacturers. You'd think!

Collapse -
Finally Made Its Alive
by 1iRAM / December 23, 2010 11:42 AM PST

Changed DIR-655 to new DIR-825 DLINK Router ($199 Cdn.) from NCIX

Collapse -
DIR-825: how?!?
by lightpsycho / January 23, 2011 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Finally Made Its Alive

Hi there,

I would absolutely want to know how you made your DIR-825 work with your C6500 because I've NEVER been able to make it work even after 10h+ of work and t-shooting! The bluray does NOT find any of the SSIDs (2.4ghz or 5ghz)!!! My iPhone 3Gs works perfectly on 2.4ghz 802.11g...

Collapse -
Samsung to Sony
by 1iRAM / January 23, 2011 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: DIR-825: how?!?

So I got tried with Samsung, finally returned it for good (along with DIR-825, still using my DIR-655), cause is stopped frequently with DIR-825 router as well. Got myself Sony BDP-S570 Blu ray. Have used it for 2-3 weeks now with no problem. No Netflix available in Canada, but Sony worked flawlessly. Ironically I use "Samsungs PC Share Manager" as server, which runs everything great.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.