Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

by mike.searles / September 27, 2007 7:38 AM PDT

At startup, I often get an Alert from a-squared Anti-Malware 3.0. The file name the alert is flagging is C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaudt.exe. The diagnosis is: Program tries to install invisibly.

Does anyone know what this exe is for?

I originally thought it was to install a Microsoft update that I had selected from the desktop MS icon. However, I get the alert even when I'm not installing any update.

I also noticed that the exe is a running process that's listed in the Windows Task Manager. It seems like the exe runs regardless of the Alert and what I select; Deny, Always deny, etc.

Also, when I select Deny, the same screen is displayed again and again until I select Accept.

Any information would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaudt.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaudt.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Automatic Updates
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2007 8:50 AM PDT

Yep, the "wuaudt.exe" file is a component of the MS Windows AutoUpdate Client. Because the AutoUpdate process is always running if you have it enabled, it's supposed to be loading at startup, in the background.. Have you tried disabling Automatic Updates in the Control Panel? Can you "tell" A-Squared to allow the program and therefore stop the warnings?..

It's a safe file.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Automatic Updates Is Not Enabled
by mike.searles / September 27, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. I don't have Automatic Updates enabled. I never enable it because I want to specifically choose the updates I want to install. I checked the setting in the Control Panel and it's

"Notify me but don't automatically download or install them."

I also checked the setting from the icon on the taskbar. I opened the icon and clicked on the Change automatic updates settings link. The result is the same.

So, why is the executable trying to run?

Collapse -
'Notify me but don't automatically download or install them'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

...means that the Autoupdate engine is enabled. Instead, open the Control Panel, double click on the "Automatic Updates" icon, then place a CHECK in the "Turn OFF Automatic Updates". Click on Apply, then OK..

After Autoupdates are disabled (turned off), you'll need to visit the Windows Updates site on the second Tuesday of every month. (That is if you've got a legal version of Windows.. If your version of Windows is not legal, you'll need to continue to use the Automatic Updates method.)

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.