Windows Vista forum

General discussion

C:\ DRIVE IS INACCESSIBLE....................

by vk9287 / April 30, 2008 4:45 AM PDT

hi there,
i m having difficulty in accessing my disk drive c:\ i m using dell notebook inspiorn 1420, with 2gb ram, OS window vista, 1.66 Ghz processor, core 2 duo, nvidia Gforce 128MB graphic card. i tried to hide a folder in the C:\ drive by changing its security options i used to do it all the time but few days back i dont know wht happened suddenly a popup appeared nd i didnt read it carefully. then i tried to access the C:\ drive next time it was inaccessible.i can perform the factory restore settings but that will cost me some important documents that i cannot afford to loss. what to do........can i access my c:\ drive in some way......plz help me out.....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C:\ DRIVE IS INACCESSIBLE....................
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C:\ DRIVE IS INACCESSIBLE....................
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If nobody comes up with another solution, try this.
by Kees Bakker / April 30, 2008 4:58 AM PDT

Buy a case for an external 2.5" drive and put your laptop-drive in it. Now go and see what you can do with it on another PC.

Kees

Collapse -
Interesting...
by John.Wilkinson / April 30, 2008 12:35 PM PDT

I have several initial thoughts:
1.) Can you access C:\ using another administrative account?
2.) Right-click on the C:\ drive in Computer, select Properties, and see which groups/users are granted security permissions.
3.) Open Computer Management (an administrative tool through the Control Panel) and make sure the drive letter C: is currently assigned properly.
4.) What is the exact error message it displays when you attempt to access C:\?
5.) Note that Windows would not be able to run if access to C:\ was actually denied, so the issue is not omnipresent.
6.) Try launching Firefox or Opera and entering C:\ into the address bar...can you browse the contents then?
7.) If you are currently not granted full permissions (referring to #2), does it permit you to take ownership of the directory and its contents?

John

Collapse -
thanx buddy!!!!!!!!but this didnt worked..........
by vk9287 / May 8, 2008 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting...

i tried all these things bro.but didnt helped.....
somebody told me to use window vista DVD and try to login as an admin a/c. but my a/c is already administor a/c. some said u ll have to make a new a/c by login as admin a/c during startup. but i dont know how to do so.........??????????? help!!!!!!!!!11111

Collapse -
Creating a new admin account...
by John.Wilkinson / May 8, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

Go Start->Control Panel->User Accounts->Add or remove user accounts.

However, while you said that my previous suggestions didn't help you didn't answer the questions contained therein. The very fact that Windows is bootable and lets you log in means that C:\ is accessible, at least to some degree, so the exact error messages, contents of the Permissions tab, etc. are important.

John

Collapse -
thanx buddy!!!!!!!!!
by vk9287 / May 8, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

nthng helped..so finally i had to restore my notebook to the factory swttings....
thanx a lot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.