Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Tip

"C" DRIVE GETTING FULL AUTOMATICALLY

by akhil1981 / September 22, 2011 4:53 PM PDT

MY "C" DRIVE GETTING FULL AUTOMATICALLY. WINDOWS XP(VERSION 2002) SP2. PLZ HELP ME.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "C" DRIVE GETTING FULL AUTOMATICALLY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "C" DRIVE GETTING FULL AUTOMATICALLY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Drive gets full
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 5:19 PM PDT

Please tell much more. Such as:
- total, used and free disk space
- how fast it gets full (say: each day 10 GB without you doing anything, or just 1 GB a year, which is quite normal)
- what files in what folders are being created

Kees

Collapse -
c drive geting full
by akhil1981 / September 23, 2011 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Drive gets full

thanks for response sir. it is taking around 500 mb in a day. i use cc clener. i dont save any thing on this drive. i have formated 1 week ago. problems remain same. c drive capacity 34.1 gb. present used spaced 8.66. the last day it was 7.45. dont know what is happening . plz help.

Collapse -
Re: space used
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 23, 2011 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: c drive geting full

Time to use tools like treesize (from jam-software.com) and start analyzing the disc space used now and tomorrow. And so on, until you found it.

Kees

Collapse -
Tried Reducing System Restore Size?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: c drive geting full

The System Restore volumes will frequently use up space in much the manner you've mentioned. Every new restore point uses up space on the hard drive. RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then click on the "System Restore" tab. Once there, click once on the "C" drive to highlight it, then click on the "Settings" button. Move the system Restore slider to a smaller number, maybe 5 - 8 %, or so.. It should free up a little space..

In addition, to eliminate all but the most recent restore point, click on Start-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup. Once there, select the "C: drive" when asked, then click on the "More Options" tab.. At this point, click on the "Clean up" button in the "System Restore" section and follow the prompts to let the computer remove all but the most recent SR point.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
THANKS
by akhil1981 / September 29, 2011 4:40 PM PDT

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR. ITS WORKING. Laugh

Collapse -
Check your MSSQL Server log folder
by luuminhtriet09130088 / February 12, 2013 6:39 PM PST

MSSQL server auto write log file so that make your C drive full automatically.
You could go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log to clear all log file to free your C drive.

Collapse -
Re: MS SQL Server
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 6:57 PM PST

Few people run MS SQL Server on their Windows XP PC. Do you?

Kees

Collapse -
Checking the date of the post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 12:02 AM PST

Let's hope they solved this in 2012.

This old discussion is now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.