Desktops forum

Question

C: Drive Almost Full, Don't Know Why

by beachangel1 / December 12, 2012 8:17 PM PST

My computer has been doing strange things lately, like being overly slow no matter what I'm doing, giving me a spinning circle, etc. I have done a disk clean-up, deleted browser history and did a disk check.

It is still doing all of the above. I noticed my C: Drive says 9.82GB free of 138GB. Can you tell me how I can check this? I have no idea why as I haven't added any programs or software.

I would appreciate any assistance you can give me. I do use my computer to work from home also.

Renee

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C: Drive Almost Full, Don't Know Why
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C: Drive Almost Full, Don't Know Why
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: c-drfive full
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 8:47 PM PST

Download TREESIZE FREE (from Jam Software, and it's free as the name suggests) and use that to see in what folders you disc space is used.

The nice thing about the latest version that - as soon is it encounters the System Volume Information folder (that normally is inaccessible) - it asks you permission to switch to administrator mode on Windows 7 (maybe on Vista also, I can't check) and then analyses that also. To see that folder in Windows XP you have to use the grant command (in the command prompt) or boot from a Linux disk, which is much more work.

Warning: don't delete files or folders when you're not absolutely sure it can be done without harm. In case of doubt: post here to ask.

This is only a way to find out about the disk space. If that's related to your other problems is far from certain (but not impossible).

Kees

Collapse -
Will Try Treesize
by beachangel1 / December 12, 2012 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Re: c-drfive full

I will download Treesize Free when I get home from work. I have Windows Vista which I forgot to mention. I will come back and post on the files/folders that I'm unsure if those are safe to delete.

Thank you for telling me about this software. It sounds like what I need to see what is in the C: Drive.

Renee

Collapse -
Still Working On It & Have ?
by beachangel1 / December 21, 2012 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Will Try Treesize

I have a question regarding Treesize Free. If I have a file in a folder and then see the same file in a different folder what happens if I delete the file from just one folder? I'm wondering if I do that it would mean I would lose the file completely. The reason I ask is that last year my hard drive had to be replaced. The person who did it for me has a created folder called Recovered Files from Renee's Computer. I also see some of these same files in a folder that is just called Renee.

Thanks,

Renee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.