Computer Help

General discussion

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp -- ?!

by Haisook / April 4, 2007 9:11 AM PDT

I wonder what the files in that folder belong to and what their purpose is?

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp

They're occupying over 4GB on my C drive.

Would it damage anything if I deleted them?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp -- ?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp -- ?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Temp Files

Download and run Ccleaner and see what happens to the size of that folder. If you have that volume of files in only one temp file, it's likely there are many more hiding on your hard drive.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Collapse -
I Keep That Folder Empty...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 11:57 AM PDT

The "Local Settings\Temp" folder is a directory where temporary files are stored during program installations and uninstallations.. It also contains files that may have been unzipped, downloaded, or placed there by you. A few "working" programs will store folders and files there during their normal operations.. Those particular directories and files won't be deleted in "normal" Windows because they're being used by the program. Everything else should be deletable.

Since you have so many files there, first search for all the files with .tmp file extensions and delete them all. Then empty the Recycle Bin.. Next, although there should be no problems, start deleting the files and folders in small increments, say 20 or 30 at a time.. After each set is deleted, restart the computer, run a few programs to make sure there are no problems, then empty the Recycle Bin again.. Repeat the process till everything is gone.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you all ..!
by Haisook / April 4, 2007 11:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
I hsave more questions related to this topic.
by ILoveEmail / April 6, 2007 12:59 PM PDT

What about files with ~ in them (they start the file name?) What about files that start with 0? Is it safe to delete them? Also, what is the purpose of having folders with nothing in them? On the C drive?

Collapse -
Are You Referring To the 'Temp' Folder?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 7, 2007 4:58 AM PDT

..or to all other locations in the file structure.. The Temp folder mentioned earlier stores temporary files and those files can generally be safely from within it..

Other files and folders will have individual purposes based upon the programs that created them and will need to checked out on an individual basis.. Sometimes folders are created by a program to store files the program might create. Other times, they create temporary folders with such names. Whether they start with 0 or ~, only the program will tell you.. You'll have to do the research on each file separately..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: Are you referring to the "Temp" folder?
by ILoveEmail / April 7, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

Yes, I'm referring to the Temp folder.

Another question: What is the purpose of programs making folders with nothing in the folders?

Collapse -
Future Temporary Storage..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 7, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

Many programs, CD/DVD burning programs for example, create folders for their temporary storage locations. They can be created in a number of locations on the computer, including the "Temp" folder. After copying files to the folder, they remove them after finishing their task. The folder will remain but the files are removed..

As mentioned earlier, I keep the "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp" folder empty.. I clean it out at the end of each day.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: future temporary storage..
by ILoveEmail / April 7, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

Yes, this helps a lot. Thank you, Griff. I never knew about that before.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.