The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Buzz Out Loud (BOL) vs Tech News Today (TNT)

by zonerover / June 1, 2010 12:58 PM PDT

So with the launch of Tom Merritt's daily tech news show on the TWiT Network, naturally this is going to raise questions as to whether people prefer his new or old gig. Personally I'm a fan of both shows but due to my TWiT podcast habits and my respect for Tom I'll probably be tuning in to TNT more often (sorry CNET Nation).

Keeping in mind that Tech News Today is still a work in progress and that Buzz Out Loud has the flexability to adapt if it sees a threat, which show do you prefer? Which one will you choose to listen to on a daily basis, or will you simply now listen to two daily tech rants?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buzz Out Loud (BOL) vs Tech News Today (TNT)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buzz Out Loud (BOL) vs Tech News Today (TNT)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update Your Site CNET
by zonerover / June 1, 2010 12:59 PM PDT

BTW, just saw this at the top of the Buzz Out Loud Lounge Forum

"CNET's Buzz Out Loud Lounge is where you chat with fellow fans of the popular of the popular Buzz Out Loud podcast featuring Tom Merritt, producer Jason Howell, and a rotating roundtable of CNET's top tech experts."

CNET might need to update the Tom part...

Collapse -
Tom's posts still get the Cnet Staff "C"
by Slikkster / June 1, 2010 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Update Your Site CNET

They haven't stripped him of his staff icon yet, either, although I don't know whether the software would enforce that change retroactively on older posts or not.

The site has been updated to reflect the new changes, but the forum, as I understand it, has always been run by Cnet staffers outside of the BOL realm.

Collapse -
Wah waaaaah...
by raygun01 / June 2, 2010 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Update Your Site CNET

(sad trombone)... just goes to show how neglected this forum has become... I just fired off an email to get the text on this forum updated. Thanks for the reminder!

Tom was everywhere on this site. Some places simply fell through the cracks.

Collapse -
The funny thing is....
by Magishine / June 2, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

...if you search for cnet on the iTMS, TNT comes up with the other cnet podcasts.

I haven't listened to TNT yet, but everything Tom does in podcasting seems to take off.

Collapse -
Buzz Out Loud (BOL) vs Tech News Today (TNT)
by wizkids32 / June 2, 2010 7:25 AM PDT

Both I miss the rants on TNT though.

Collapse -
Neither (sort of)
by jaganm / June 2, 2010 4:08 PM PDT

Actually, won't listen to either on a regular basis, but will tune in from time to time. I have both on my itunes feed.

I have a limited time available for listening to podcasts (primarily my commuting time) and as the number of "unwatched" podcasts starts piling up, the stress to get it down to a manageable level becomes too much to handle. So, Tom moving out seemed a logical time to cut back.

Collapse -
by nevets88 / June 3, 2010 2:30 AM PDT

I've only listened to TNT twice and it seems TNT is a bit tighter and doesn't wander off subject as BOL sometimes does.

Also this is totally subjective, but I mainly listened to BOL because of Merritt and not too keen on Nedelman (spelling?), Wood or Tong although I wished Jason would speak more often.

It's too early to tell. I'll do what I've always done and skip around if what I'm hearing isn't interesting.

Collapse -
by janis0316 / July 19, 2010 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Depends
Collapse -
Going to be a hard choice
by palitoinkaru / June 4, 2010 9:10 PM PDT

As a long time BOL listener, it's strange to think of them as competitors (it's more like coopetition). The fact is, though, when summer vacation ends and the fall semester begins, the two shows are going to be competing for my limited free time. I won't able to listen to both.

Right now it's too early to tell. For statistically significant sample sizes, we'll need >=30 episodes of BOL sans Tom and >=30 episodes of TNT. At that point, I'll try a week of TNT without BOL and a week of BOL without TNT. Comparing the show notes to see what does and does not get discussed might also prove useful.

I might end up listening to TNT and reading Molly Rants, but it's a tough decision and too early to tell. I like them both.

Collapse -
30th Tom-less BOL is today
by palitoinkaru / June 27, 2010 3:43 PM PDT

After today's BOL, we will have a statistically large enough sample size of new BOL episodes. The same will happen with TNT on July 1st, and at that point we'll have seen enough to make non-hasty decisions.

That said, so far I strongly prefer TNT.

Collapse -
by palitoinkaru / June 27, 2010 4:14 PM PDT

Oops, my mistake. The 30th TNT episode should be on July 12, and that's when we'll have large enough sample sizes for both.

Collapse -
After listening to a few episodes
by Magishine / June 5, 2010 1:40 AM PDT

...I'd say TNT edges out. I listen to both regularly and will continue to do so, but Tom and Becky are a dynamite combo. Plus it seems a lot more informal despite not being derailed like BOL can be at times.

I dunno. It seems like BOL has gotten highly opinionated since Tom left. The Facebook thing is a prime example.

Collapse -
I Will Listen to Both...
by PressAnyKey / June 8, 2010 10:52 PM PDT

At least for a while. However if I have to sit through another rambling show like yesterday's (fighting with Adam Curry) I may have to put BOL on hiatus... Seriously, I know more about the guy then I ever cared to know about any human being...

Collapse -
I agree...
by cashmonee / June 9, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

I too am listening to both. I really liked the chemistry between Molly and Tom, and both are suffering without it. However, it seems BOL needs Tom more than TNT needs Molly. BOL is becoming very opinionated and inaccurate. The deep knowledge of nearly everything tech that Tom possesses is sorely missed on BOL. The current hosts simply are not informed and often are giving incorrect, biased, sensationalized information. I miss Tom's evenhandedness and knowledge, and while Molly is doing an admirable job of trying to replace that, she doesn't seem to have the same abilities.

It's sad because I loved BOL, and miss Molly's rants and input on TNT. At this point though, I think BOL may lose me after all of this time.

Collapse -
TnT is trying to steal "Well Actually"
by kwahhn / June 5, 2010 3:51 AM PDT

...hell with that.

Collapse -
Well actually....
by Magishine / June 6, 2010 8:05 AM PDT

They didn't really steal it. I'm sure a good bit of TNT listeners are also BOL listeners. Silly

Maybe they'll get their own "catchphrase" at some point though

Collapse -
Tough call...
by n74jw / June 16, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

BOL only has one commercial. That's a big deal for me. TNT often has multiple, long ads.

Collapse -
Multiple Ads?
by zonerover / June 16, 2010 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Tough call...

Where did the idea of multiple ads come from? I guess you could say it has multiple advertisement slots for the some company (one short one at the start and then a longer one in the middle), but the one at the start seems too short to count as a real ad.

Collapse -
I Reckon
by n74jw / June 16, 2010 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Multiple Ads?

Maybe it is because I listen to too many TWiT podcasts? Happy Just TNT, MacBreak Weekly, Floss Weekly, TWiL, TWiG, TWiCH, Windows Weekly and Security Now.

Collapse -
TWiT Army?
by zonerover / June 16, 2010 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I Reckon

Maybe I'm caught up too caught up in the TWiT Universe but TWiT's ads seem fine, although frankly BOL's one ad are at times shorter than the 'tease ad' at the start of TWiT programs.

At least that's the way it was today - ironic both podcasts had ads for competing car companies. Go Ford over Infinity.

Collapse -
Go Ford
by n74jw / June 16, 2010 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: TWiT Army?

I've never been one for luxury cars anyway.

Collapse -
About the ads and the format
by elreteipos / June 29, 2010 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Tough call...

TWiT commercials last forever. I appreciate BOL's condensed ads. I remember more of BOL-style ads than the TWiT style of ads that feel like a drag.

I've listened to TWiT a couple of times, but even without Tom I still prefer BOL. I like entertainment value with my tech news. If you want facts and information, you might be better off with TNT. It's almost as if Buzz Out Loud is a cross-breed between The 404 and TNT...

Collapse -
by n74jw / June 29, 2010 5:51 AM PDT

I have actually stopped listening to TWiT's flagship show awhile ago. They just didn't talk about any tech-related news, until halfway into the program.

Collapse -
Depends on what you're looking for
by AlbatrossUK / June 21, 2010 6:49 AM PDT

Currently I'm listening to both, but I'm not sure what I will do if (when?) there isn't time to listen to TNT and BOL. I think Rafe is doing fine and working well with Molly - the basic formula still works. TNT is still finding its feet for me, not too sure about Becky myself, but it's doing a slightly different job in that it's more tightly focused on the news than so much giving opinions or flipping off at tangents. I find BOL the more entertaining show to listen to, TNT the more informative - I just haven't worked out yet whether I am more into the entertainment than the news!

Collapse -
Well Said
by DangMI / June 21, 2010 10:35 AM PDT

I have had the same basic assessment as to the differences in style and content.

Except for the part about Becky - I saw her as a plus from the start.

Collapse -
by kschles / June 24, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Well Said

I've been trying to listen to both. It's a lot of tech news, and I'm not sure how long I can continue to do so. My impression so far is that both podcasts aren't as good as the old BOL with Tom and Molly. It's a shame they broke up, but I guess nothing lasts forever. I started out pretty high on TNT.

Like Becky Worley - she has a lot of useful information and does some reporting. Lately, however, Sarah Lane has been on instead. She tends to talk over everyone (I think she's working on it), and is strictly opinion. Hope there's more Becky and less Sarah. It makes for a better podcast.

Collapse -
iPhone News Overload
by n74jw / June 24, 2010 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: TNT vs BOL

I had to decide on one, lately with all of the iPhone hoopla. Listening to both, it was way too much iPhone for me.

Collapse -
Miss the Tom + Molly
by techjazzer / June 27, 2010 11:02 PM PDT

Loved the Tom/Molly combo. But BOL is probably better than I thought it would be after Tom left...
TNT hasn't drawn me in completely. I find myself stopping the episode before it finishes, usually because one of the girl's voices begins to annoy me. I wish Veronica could replace them permanently.
Commercial spots are quite tolerable on BOL.
For now, BOL is still a listening habit and I'm trying to include a little TNT, but there are only so many listening hours in a day!

Collapse -
I also listen to both but
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / June 29, 2010 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Miss the Tom + Molly

The girls seem to be the weak point. Molly sounds natural when she's trying to be funny but Becky sounds like she wrote down her zings and jokes beforehand and then tries to act out at being natural. It's like listening to a high school comedic play, it was written well but the kids are not good actors.

BOL just seems more spontaneous and TNT sounds pre-planned, with it showing how much it's pre-planned. Tom seems to also have changed a little bit of his style to be more like Leo(maybe he was giving him pointers). I like the old/casual Tom.

Both are good for information but BOL is better for entertainment, along with the info. IMO

Collapse -
Wanted to like TNT. Don't.
by Shadrech / July 14, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

I don't like BOL as much without Tom, but TNT is horrible. For me, BOL worked because Molly brought heart and Tom brought knowledge. For now, I think Molly without Tom works better than Tom without Molly.
Rafe has knowledge, though nowhere NEAR that of Tom, and can fill Merritt's shoes (kind of). But Worley, who I like on other podcasts, is like Natalie in her inability to play off Tom.
I listened to half of yesterday's TNT (7-14) and found another problem. Sarah Lane is AWFUL. I can't stand her. She doesn't appear to know much about anything, but somehow she's a tech podcaster? It must be nice to be a friend of Leo.
Anyway, I'm listening to BOL, dropped TNT from my feed. I still listen to most of Tom's other podcasts, but I really miss him on BOL.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.