The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Buzz Out Loud Bingo: let the games begin!

by mollywood CNET staff / December 2, 2008 7:26 AM PST

The oh-so-awesome hollyhock created a fantastic "in the wild" bingo card! It's here:

Print it out and start playing! First listener to send us a completed card (you must include dates of the sightings, and preferably locations, or even pictures) will receive a roll of CNET stickers! Happy Get to spotting! And thanks again, Hollyhock!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buzz Out Loud Bingo: let the games begin!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buzz Out Loud Bingo: let the games begin!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by warrenrichards10 / December 2, 2008 7:44 AM PST

A Kindle user on a segway?,in Australia?, it could happen I supose,

Collapse -
kindle on a segway!?
by robstak / December 2, 2008 8:47 AM PST

that's nuts! hahaha awesome job.

-dr. karl

Collapse -
OMG a *roll* of CNET stickers! YAY! ;)
by shawnlin / December 2, 2008 9:38 AM PST

hahahaha! hey, it's fun to get excited about silly stuff, right! Happy

Happy searching everyone,

Collapse -
pics or it did not happen?
by mementh / December 2, 2008 11:11 AM PST

pics or it did not happen?
cause thats easy to fake!!
Also store items don't count.. it has to be purchased and a actual person using it.

Collapse -
by warrenrichards10 / December 2, 2008 12:10 PM PST

To late, already "spotted" 2 so far , but as the chances of me spotting a Kindle reading Segway are rare as the Apple Netbook (ohhh topical satire!)in this country, I'll just play for the giggle factor.
And if I win I shall place a CNet sticker on "The Big Pineapple" in Queensland.( can it be a Laptop battery AFTER it's exsloded? battery acid is a bad bad thing,

Collapse -
by warrenrichards10 / December 2, 2008 11:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Exploding battery?
by Nicholas Buenk / December 2, 2008 11:17 AM PST

But that's like a one in a million event...
I guess I could always throw an old battery on a BBQ...

Collapse -
by Nicholas Buenk / December 2, 2008 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Exploding battery?

I have seen some asus netbooks in the wild recently. I'm in Sydney Australia and seen on 2 different occasions at seperate locations, people using netbooks at mcdonalds making use of their free wifi.
BTW free wifi isn't quiet as common here, due to metered bandwidth few companies want to leave an open connection.

Collapse -
okay, I gotta pull a "Momma" on a couple of these...
by shawnlin / December 2, 2008 11:25 AM PST

okay, I gotta pull a "Momma" on a couple of these...

Exploding battery - please do not stage this. and watch your step to avoid hot chemicals if you are near an exploded battery...

Kindle user on Segway - sounds unsafe although I'd imagine the Segway is more or less stationary.

Collapse -
It's a stretch...
by Slikkster / December 2, 2008 6:47 PM PST

but would a Kindle user <i><b>reading</b></i> about a Segway count?

Collapse -
Hmm, could be hard in Aus!
by DaveBinM / December 2, 2008 2:00 PM PST

Well, can't say I've seen *any* kindles, but I've seen all of the others, at least once, or I can think of someone who has one of these things.

Collapse -
by raygun01 / December 2, 2008 3:00 PM PST

That Bingo card is too cool.

Collapse -
Glad everyone likes it!
by hollyhock / December 2, 2008 9:33 PM PST

It was fun to make. Didn't take me nearly as long as I thought it would. Many of the ideas came from just things talked/joked about on the show!

I agree with Shalin... make sure to watch it with the battery thing. That one could be dangerous for sure. Let's disclaimer that with a "do not try this at home" kind of thing.

If the Kindle user on a Segway proves to be impossible I wouldn't be opposted to modifying that one slightly. Perhaps we call it "Segway +1" instead? Meaning a Segway user that also incorporates one of the other items on the card. Example: A Segway user with an iPod Shuffle.

Have fun!

P.S. I exclude myself from the contest as the creator of the card but I have to laugh because I've seen at least 3 or 4 of these things since I posted it yesterday. They were the easier ones but it made me realize how this stuff is all around and I never really noticed much of it before!

Collapse -
Who's going to "call" this game?
by Slikkster / December 2, 2008 11:21 PM PST

What Bingo game would be complete without an official "caller"? Someone's gotta step up to the plate and voice some mp3's calling out these items.

Two that I would <i>not</i> like to hear:

The BestBuy Guy (sorry, dude)

The creator(s?) of the Linux Chaser and Molly Rant.

You could also make this into a Flash "soundboard" (a la with the voice for each space.

Ok, I'm thinking way too much about this...

Collapse -
I've completed a BINGO
by al409 / December 3, 2008 9:24 AM PST

All items in the wild- owned by people- who use them.
Blackberry Storm, Mac running Win, GPS, Mackbook Air, Sony Walkman Cell
I have pictorial evidence of all of them.
I also just realized that I've made double BINGO-
Kindle (With the Blackberry Storm), 2 Non-iPod or Zune Mp3 Players- Both Sansa players, Portable Gaming System- Multiple PSPs, Macbook Air, Bose headphones.

Message was edited by: admin to out URL that was rendering the thread page incorrectly in IE6

Collapse -
A legit winner should get a prize!!...
by robstak / December 3, 2008 9:25 AM PST

Photograph yourself with these and win!!! no photoshops, we can tell! post to BOL flickr group... do it! game on!

Collapse -
by al409 / December 3, 2008 9:30 AM PST

I have to be in the picture??? I took all these with my HTC Mogul camera. I've taken multiple pictures- close ups of the names and brands- pictures of people using them- Pictures of people with their devices. I'll post them to the Flickr group and give links to the photos themselves.
I even showed multiple shots of the Mac Pro- relative to the screen on the desk- with the Mac Monitor- and shots showing the steps of the boot process- pictures of the guy writing on his tablet- etc.

Blackberry Storm+Kindle and ASUS Netbook+Zune guys were the best!
I'm away from my cord- so I'll upload the pictures soon

Collapse -
Oh yes and...
by al409 / December 3, 2008 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Gah!

Thank you random lady with the Macbook Air- without her- there would have been no Bingo!

Collapse -
(NT) very clever game - thanks for making it! :)
by shawnlin / December 3, 2008 12:08 PM PST
Collapse -
by demonjrules / December 3, 2008 10:17 AM PST

Already have ten (including the free space) filled on my bingo card, but I have to say seeing a laptop battery explode or seeing a kindle user who is riding a Segway seem a little hard to spot in the wild. Hey! Natali Del Conte, Could you by any chance come down from NYC and visit me in New Jersey riding a Segway with your Kindle in hand? That would be great. Thanks.

Collapse -
Photo BOL Double Bingo Evidence Raw
by al409 / December 3, 2008 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Close
Collapse -
well played sir,
by warrenrichards10 / December 3, 2008 11:05 AM PST

nice,,but is it enough to win?

Collapse -
Double BOL BINGO- Final Organized Edition
by al409 / December 3, 2008 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: well played sir,
Collapse -
You know what...
by Nicholas Buenk / December 3, 2008 12:43 PM PST

This would make a great iPhone app. Wink You could even sell it.

Collapse -
Things I forgot to mention in my e-mail...
by al409 / December 3, 2008 2:08 PM PST

All of the sightings I posted about occurred today- Wednesday December 3rd, 2008. I'd prefer to keep the locations a secret- but I didn't fake any of the photos. Most of the items I don't own- so I couldn't just hand them off to a random stranger and say "Say Cheese!"- and all of the items depicted were the property of the person shown. All pictures were taken with the permission of those shown. Most of the people I asked got a kick out of it- and seemed to enjoy getting captured with their personal gadget. A lot of it was just wandering through populated areas where people were sitting with their laptops and gadgets in front and spread around them.

Collapse -
by james- / December 3, 2008 5:13 PM PST

I have seen a few of these in or around London, an iphone, Nokia N series, my own mp3 player (creative zen vision m), several portable DVD players and PSP or Nintendo DS on trains, GPS, ipod shuffle.

I see loads of adverts for the Sony ebook reader on a bookshop near my work but never seen anyone with one.

Collapse -
by warrenrichards10 / December 3, 2008 5:49 PM PST
In reply to: London

Same here, the Kindle and Sony , (E Readers in general) don't seem to have a fan base, I showed a friend the Baen Free Library site and Foxit Reader running on my lappy, she some how worked it onto her Nokia N95, seems a shame its not taking off yet,

Collapse -
For Bingo Lovers
by crebbo / August 27, 2009 12:09 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.