Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Buying Windows 7.

by Kees Bakker / May 21, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

The million-dollar question. Well, much, much more than a million for Microsoft.

Most people seem to like Windows 7. But do you like it so much that you are going to pay 100 or 150 bucks to get a version that works after February 2010 on your current XP or Vista machine, replacing that OS?
Or will you continue to use a OS you already paid for when you bought that machine, and start using Windows 7 only when you buy a new PC later, or even much later?

Kees

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying Windows 7.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying Windows 7.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends on cost to upgrade
by Jonmor68 / May 21, 2009 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Buying Windows 7.

if price is reasonable I find that the Windows Media Center in Windows 7 is so superior for my purposes, that I would want it for that alone, the rest is a bonus.
I don't know if it's my imagination, but video quality appears to be better in Windows 7.
Being on a pension I have to watch how much I spend.
The EPG in Vista doesn't work at all in Australia.
I record a lot of tv shows, in W7 I can program a whole series of tv shows or movies, they are all named and dated for me.
In Vista I would have to manually program and name the shows.
The only hassle is the new *.wtv extension, I have to convert it to DVRMS before transferring to my WD Media player to view on my tv.
At least W7 has a built in converter which is resonably quick.

Collapse -
*.wtv to dvr-ms 5.1 surround sound
by exdoom / May 28, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

Jonmor68, when you convert *.wtv to dvr-ms is AC-3 (5.1 surround sound) preserved. I have similar setup to yours with WD TV and TV pack, but when I convert *.wtv to dvr-ms 5.1 surround sound is lost. Any suggestions?

Thx!

Collapse -
I hope there is an cheap upgrade ......
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 21, 2009 12:30 PM PDT

as i recently purchased vista ultimate for $180 odd from tigerdirect, I love windows 7, but dont want to spend another furtune

Rupesh Narvekar
123Triad

Collapse -
Great discussion question!
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 22, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

This is a great topic. Thanks for posting to the forum.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Absolutely will buy
by nuentes / May 22, 2009 7:44 AM PDT

As an XP user, I had a major hardware failure about 4 months ago which made me decide to upgrade just about everything in my computer. I was looking into buying Vista, until I heard about Win7. After playing with the Beta for a bit, I was sold. I am glad that I held off on buying Vista. I am even happier that the RC was released so that I could have a more long-term OS, so that I would not feel bad about removing XP for good. I am absolutely going to buy (as long as the price is reasonable)... but I wont be first in line, for sure. I wont buy until I find a deal, or until February... whichever comes first.

Collapse -
Most people don't buy operating systems - they buy computers
by TrackSmart / May 22, 2009 10:31 AM PDT

This is almost a moot point, as the vast majority of consumers don't purchase operating systems - they purchase computers.

Millions of people will "purchase" Windows 7, whether they like it or not. But retail sales will only be a small fraction of total licenses. Mostly reserved for geeks like us. Happy

[Obviously the corporate world is another story entirely...]

Collapse -
Holding on, holding out

TrackSmart said:

"This is almost a moot point, as the vast majority of consumers don't purchase operating systems - they purchase computers."

Yes, exactly. I've got an old workhorse PC running XP that's been reliable for years, but has recently started acting balky at startup. I'm nursing her along because I really, really don't want Vista, but it's getting close to time for a new box. I've got no reason to upgrade on my existing hardware; I'll get W7, once it becomes the Windows OS of choice on new models, as part of a PC purchase.

A corollary to TrackSmart's comment: Consumers purchase PC's, not operating systems, but the operating system can prevent the PC purchase.

Collapse -
I wont buy a new computer just to get a Free Windows 7

What about people like me, who have probably 1000 GB of data in their 200 GB Drive :-D ?

Rupesh
123Triad

Collapse -
Those people surely backup.
by Kees Bakker / May 23, 2009 5:36 AM PDT

So restoring all their data on a new PC is a piece of cake.

Kees

Collapse -
Fool me once
by jobert48 / May 22, 2009 11:40 AM PDT

Nope. Vista promised to be Nirvana. Wasn't. Expensive upgrade to XP. Now Windows 7 will be an expensive upgrade to Vista. Don't need more fluff to do the same stuff.

Got better things to do with my money. Like give it to the government, so they can give it to losers. Like those who'll buy Seven.
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Collapse -
Depend on the price
by Zouch / May 22, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

I like Windows 7, I'm running the RC. It seems to be noticeably faster than XP, which was a surprise, since the Samsung laptop I have it on is 5 years old and was just a non starter for Vista. I can't run the Aero interface because the Intel graphics chip support is flaky and it's only 64 MB anyway but that's no big deal, the 7 Basic interface works just fine for me.

So, it's all down to upgrade price - Microsoft here in the UK have some rather strange ideas when it comes to exchange rates!

Collapse -
Would I buy an upgrade to XP
by HSKrivit / May 22, 2009 12:29 PM PDT

I am just an average user who has never bought an upgrade to an operating system. BUT, if the reviews keep coming in as they seem to be, that Windows 7 is so superior in functionality and speed over XP, I would be willing to spend $100 dollars to upgrade.

Collapse -
Really? What's functions make it worth $100 when you've XP?
by TrackSmart / May 22, 2009 12:43 PM PDT

I haven't heard anything in the new windows that makes me want to run out and buy it.

What's the killer feature that you must have? Making my computer 5% faster isn't going to cut it. Nor is "greater security". Nor is a power-sucking 3D interface that will drain my laptop's battery faster.

So yes, what's the killer feature for regular users like you and I?

Collapse -
READ FIRST

You should try actually reading CNET's full coverage on Windows 7, not to mention the masses of information elsewhere on the net.

Collapse -
Don't think so, not immediately
by john3347 / May 22, 2009 2:09 PM PDT

While Windows 7 does appear to be a significant improvement over Vista in almost every way (after all how good does something have to be to be better than rock bottom?), It is still looks, feels, and in most ways acts TOO much like Vista. There are several features that MANY users wanted to see that aren't included. Windows 7 is still more about Fisher-Price decor and useless fluff and puff than it is about getting work done. Neither my home nor my office will be rushing to move to Windows 7.

Collapse -
Will yo be buying windows 7
by wpeckham / May 23, 2009 6:18 AM PDT

One word: Ubuntu
XP was far too expensive, Vista too painful. I am hitching to a faster, friendlier wagon.

Collapse -
agreed
by richteral / May 23, 2009 7:28 PM PDT

Linux is the way to go in my book, and Ubuntu can well be the flavour. I plan to buy a new HP laptop in the autumn; if it comes with Vista, I may run it for a while just to see what it is like and until any bundled freebies run out. Then it will be a complete reinstall, most likely with Ubuntu, and that will be that. I might consider running virtual XP in it if needed.

XP was ugly in its first year, and if Windows 7 follows suit, it is likely to show teething troubles for the whole of next year. Definitely not worth spending any money on in 2010 and pay MS for the research and testing they should do before releasing the product in the market, with a price tag.

While the notebook OS remains a mentally open issue, my next PC (probably HP as well, definitely this year) will run Ubuntu from day one mainly for security reasons and ease of operation. No hassle with AV, anti-spy, and the gamut of other ancillaries required as belt-and-braces.

Collapse -
Window's 7... To hot to touch this one!
by gem1971100 / May 24, 2009 1:31 AM PDT

All I can say Is, Ubuntu! Window's just does'nt get it......

Collapse -
Cost will be the determining factor for me
by sntholiday / May 25, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

I am currently running the RC and really like it. If the cost of upgrade from Vista to Win 7 is in the neighborhood of $100-150 I'll probably go for it. My desktop PC is used mainly as an HTPC and in that regard I don't see a real big difference between Vista x64 and Win 7 x64. But on my 2 year old Compaq laptop I see quite a big difference in speed and performance between Vista x86 and Win 7 x86. Hope we hear something concrete about pricing soon.

Collapse -
Vista SP1 works just fine
by john55440 / May 26, 2009 1:11 AM PDT

I use Vista SP1 Preinstalled every single day, and have no real complaints; so I don't have much of an incentive to upgrade to Windows 7.

IF I upgrade, it won't be until at least 6 months after the release of Win7. I want to make sure that all driver and software compatability issues are ironed out before upgrading.

Collapse -
I have not yet seen the features
by Anil Kumar Patni / May 26, 2009 2:57 PM PDT

Dear Friends
I have today only heard about window7. What are the new features in the same? Please inform me. I want some thing new to do all job at faster speed.
regards
Anil Kumar Patni

Collapse -
At this point, I don't think so.
by Josh Hill / May 28, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

I've been playing with the RC for about a week now, and I'm afraid that my initially positive reaction has been tempered by experience.

Which is to say that if I were still running Vista, I'd give an unqualified "yes." Windows 7 is, really, Vista that works, which is to say that it's no longer impractically slow.

But -- I switched back to XP some time ago. And I'm afraid that Windows 7 has given me no good reason to upgrade. I've read that it's faster than XP, but in practice, dual booting the same programs, I haven't found that to be the case. Programs and boot time are roughly comparable, but even though I'm running the x64 version many OS functions that I use all the time take much longer than they did under XP, e.g., system restore takes forever to make a restore point, a real annoyance since I like to make a restore point every time I install a new app. (Yes, Win 7 is doing more -- who cares? XP's system restore worked fine.)

What more, to my surprise, MS hasn't fixed some well-known Vista flaws, e.g., I had to turn off User Accounts Control despite the presence of the fancy new protection level slider. UAC required confirmation every time I moved an executable file to a new directory! Not system files, not system directories, just software like Firefox that I'd downloaded and installed and that I wanted to slide into a "done" directory. That's impossible and ridiculous.

Even worse, they've ruined the interface. There are some nice new features, such as the ability to quickly tile two open windows by dragging them with the mouse. But the new task menu DOES NOT WORK unless you're a little old lady who runs only three programs. There isn't enough room to pin your frequently used programs to it without scrolling(!), and you have to go through several steps to do what, in XP and Vista, take only one -- put your mouse on the icon, then choose between several windows that pop up, possible waiting for a full-sized preview to allow you to distinguish them. And I don't want to do that every time I switch back to my tabbed web browser, something I do many times a day, or alternate between open programs that I'm too lazy to tile. With a bit of tinkering, you can return to something sort of like the classic start menu and quick start, but it's a kludge that isn't as good and doesn't work as well.

Also, Win 7 retains and worsens other annoying changes Vista has made to the interface -- replacing easy-to-understand menus with incomprehensible icons, burying important commands and information deeper than an Iranian uranium reprocessing facility.

Forgive me for being literate, but I understand what "file" and "edit" and "view" mean, whereas I don't have the foggiest notion what "=:" and "%~" and "&^" represent, which is kinda the best I can do to imitate the incomprehensible squiggles that now appear on the likes of IE 8 in lieu of "unfriendly" English. (Oh, says MS, you can turn the menus on! Yeah, and I can go buy a steering wheel for a car that doesn't come with one, but I think I'll buy a normal car instead.)

There's a reason we replaced hieroglyphics, you know. And the sort of person who needs a picture of a keg to recognize a pub went out with the Middle Ages.

So, alas, no. I *wanted* Windows 7 to work, just as I wanted Vista to work, but windows XP is reasonably solid and a lot easier to use than 7 and I'll stick with it. Not to mention that it has better driver compatibility, and makes better use of RAM . . .

Sorry, MS, but next time around, you're going to have to think about those of us who aren't computer idiots, and apply some genuine thought to the interface design.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.