Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying New Laptop

by mruck05 / April 2, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

Im in the market to buy a new Laptop and i wanted to see what some of you would recommend. Im looking to probably stay around or under 1000 with a max of about 1200. Im not too worried about things that I can change and add later like the hard drive and ram etc.

I'm mainly trying to get the best of the specs I cannot change like a strong processor, graphics card etc. I don't usually play games but I will likely use it for web, movies, notes, cutting/editing videos, possibly the occasional game.

With that said I would like to see if I could find:

A very nice sleek looking laptop aluminum/metal brushed housing, or in silver/grey or black.

Preferably Full HD 1080p, Preferably 15" or larger

At least dual core i5 preferably better not big on AMD chips but I could be persuaded

A good solid Graphics card if it can be changed at a later date would be great but I'm pretty sure thats not possible. Dedicated would be nice not essential though.

Ram Expandable to at least 8gb

Pluses - Blue-Ray, Bluetooth, USB 3.0, HDMI

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying New Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying New Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tough shopping list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Buying New Laptop

Let's go about this the other way. Which laptops had that for that much?
Bob

Collapse -
I've seen this laptop rated real high
by orlbuckeye / April 3, 2013 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Buying New Laptop
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.