iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Buying an Ipad

by JamsKalliath / February 5, 2012 6:08 AM PST

I am planing to buy an ipad from US and I will be using it mainly in Europe. Do you think it will work well in Europe and even other parts of the world?
Secondly I hear that there is an Ipad3 coming soon, is there anything true in it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying an Ipad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying an Ipad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
It will work of course
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2012 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Buying an Ipad

I don't think we in Europe can magically break an iPad just by it being here, Happy

But connecting to the internet may be a problem. Here's Apple's guide to that; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4056

And there's another one here which might tell more; http://ask.metafilter.com/144560/Can-I-use-the-iPad-in-Europe

If no wifi networks are available the iPad will attempt to connect using a Cellular Data Network and if you have a cell phone that you would normally use to connect an iPad to the internet in the US, that network might not be available to you over here.

Make sure you have the correct chargers available and you might need an all purpose mains adapter as Europe doesn't have a unified mains voltage setup as far as I know

iPad3? As usual with Apple, rumours just rumours, like this one; http://ipad3newsblog.com/tag/ipad-3-release-date/

Apple will let us all know when it is released.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
To expand a little here,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 5, 2012 7:28 AM PST

your iPad will work wirelessly anywhere in the world, as long as there is a WiFi signal to connect to.

Collapse -
Don't forget
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 9:44 PM PST

There a 2 distinct different types of iPads (with different amounts of RAM). There is a cellular version that can access cellular data and a Wifi-only model. The Wifi-only model is cheaper and does not need to be unlocked. I currently own an original Wifi-only model with 16 GB RAM and works flawlessly on any available Wifi connection.

Collapse -
iPad 3
by vandersyde / February 10, 2012 5:41 PM PST

US based iPad's have a 3G and GSM version (AT&T & Verizon) if you've got time wait till March and pick yourself an iPad 3, they aren't going to be network specific so that will help you out heaps particularly roaming around Europe. Check out this little article on what to expect out of the iPad 3 - http://insydetech.info/2012/02/10/ipad-3-in-march/

Collapse -
Along with the foldout screen, ethernet jack,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: iPad 3

USB3 port and eSata.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.