Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Buying a New Wireless Router - Want the Very Fastest

by jessica0238 / February 4, 2008 1:17 AM PST

We run 2 Thinkpad laptops on our home wireless network. I want to upgrade my wireless modem to a faster one. We have a wireless broadband (umbrella) system. I have problems with buffering a lot when I try to watch web videos. Our router is a Linksys B and I thought a Linksys G would do the trick but after reading the reviews I don't really know. Also can other things besides router speed cause this buffering problem? These are high end laptops.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a New Wireless Router - Want the Very Fastest
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a New Wireless Router - Want the Very Fastest
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So what internet connection do you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2008 1:54 AM PST

If it's DSL then there is little payoff from 802.11g over b since it's still more bandwidth than DSL. With cable you get more so I could make a safe bet a new g router is a good idea.

Bob

Collapse -
Wirelss Router- Fastest
by TheBigfut / February 7, 2008 6:21 AM PST

Personally speaking I foind a Linksys WRT160N for the same price as most G routers around here( about $120) which my new laptop supported as well. So you will get the extra speed for no extra charge. At this point you may wnat/need to change out your wireless cards to take advantage of it. I know in our 2 story house with basement, the router mentioned above, that our router is not in an ideal place but I can still stream Innertube from CBS in the basement.

Collapse -
Wireless Router
by Ecm / February 8, 2008 8:47 AM PST

If you only connect to the internet, then most "G" wireless setups will do the trick as the internet connection is the limiting factor. However, if you transfer large files between computers on your home wireless network, look into the "N" wireless system. Big difference in throughput 54 vs 300 Mbps. Some "N" routers also are 1 gbps, vs most others at 100 mbps.

Collapse -
Both Ends
by zwhite93 / February 8, 2008 9:33 AM PST

Remember, a super fast router won't do any good without the proper hardware for your laptops. I've had great luck with a Netgear WPN824 router, which is superG with MIMO. Paired with a Netgear RangeMax Wireless PC card its the best I've seen as far as coverage and speed. You can't beat the price too.
~zwhite

Collapse -
Both Ends
by djb101 / April 16, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Both Ends

I have a Netgear WPN824 ver. 2 and it cuts my confirmed download speed from 3mps to .5mps on a wireless connection. It even does this with a my isp modem connected to it and an ethernet connection to my computer - a hard wire pass through. Really hate this product. Just another experience to consider.

Collapse -
Two Aspects to This Question
by Dr. Planarian / February 8, 2008 8:54 PM PST

I would HIGHLY recommend the D-Link DIR-655. They're usually available in big box retailers for $129, sometimes lower (the list price is $149).

This is an 802.11 pre-N router and gigabit switch. If you ALSO get their matching network adapters you can run wirelessly at a max of 300Mbps, and your wired connections will run at 1Gb.

Now, this doesn't mean that your INTERNET connection will go that fast. You're still limited by the speed throughput by your cable modem. Some of these are getting pretty fast, but as far as I know none of them run at 300 Mbps, at least not in the United States.

Where you CAN run that fast is in transfers between computers connected to your home network. The final throughput speed on your wireless connections, however, is dependent on the location of your computers relative to the router. Speed falls with distance and obstructions between the NIC and the router. As a general rule of thumb, however, the faster the maximum speed, the greater the distance over which you will have a usable connection.

D-Link promises that its firmware will be upgradeable to the final N standard.

This device is very versatile and is VERY easy to configure. It provides the highest level of security. D-Link also provides genuinely EXCELLENT telephone support should you run into snags.

Your problem with buffering may be on the outside of any home router you may wish to purchase, but if you're still using an 802.11b router then there's a good chance that a faster router will solve many of your problems.

Collapse -
Fastest wireless router
by maynardo7 / February 8, 2008 8:59 PM PST

The fastest and the most distance with a wireless router?

No question, you would be buying the D-Link Xtreme N router, DIR-655.

True to achieve maximun performance, you would need xtreme N hardware on 'both ends'; router and in laptops.

The router alone has done wonders with ANY connection i have made on any laptop. It now gives very good to excellent signal where before only got good signal.

They were $119.99 at O-Max last week, but i think that was a sale, try the N-Egg people.

Collapse -
I LIVE by Linksys!
by Impreza WRX / February 9, 2008 1:22 AM PST

To be honest, the best router I have ever encountered is the Linksys WRT54G-series (G, GL, GS). While I have the GS and I don't need the speed boost, it works flawlessly with the latest firmware! I get no dropped signals, no broken downloads, and the range on this thing is HUGE! Plus, with a price of $44 or so at TigerDirect, it's very affordable!

Collapse -
fast router
by sgg / February 9, 2008 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: I LIVE by Linksys!

Just noted no one mentioned wireless voice.I'm still waiting for further info, but at this point believe that N may be slower than G - in short, if you are deciding, and voice is any part of your needs, you need to determine if N or any specific router offers quality availability and distance.

Collapse -
sped
by poopingfish / February 13, 2008 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: fast router

The only difference youll see with a faster N+ router is LAN speeds!
As well as internet speed. You could have a 5000mb+ down connection but it doesnt matter, most public servers are capped or have bandwidth limits anyways.
You may see a differece streaming lan HD media though..

Collapse -
Internet Connections via Eletrical system?
by glassyworld / July 13, 2010 9:40 AM PDT

Has anyone ever used the ports (I think Netgear sells) that you plug into electrical outlets, attach a lan cable and plug into your PC? Wondering if I should spend the money for these ports or try to figure out the fastest wireless routers to buy.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.