Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying a laptop for a Computer Science Bachelors Program

by mlamura2784 / March 16, 2013 2:07 AM PDT

Hey Everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum. As the title states, I need to purchase a laptop for a computer science program. I am looking at some workstation series laptops from HP, Lenovo, and Dell. Here are my main questions:

Which brand is known for reliability and quality control?

Is 8 GB of RAM and a core i7 quad core processor enough to future proof the device for at least 3 years? Are these specs sufficient to run Visual studio pro?

I understand that any major investment is ultimately a personal choice, but I would like some input about these brands. Personal experience with them would be great if you have any. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a laptop for a Computer Science Bachelors Program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a laptop for a Computer Science Bachelors Program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:11 AM PDT

Not one of those makers are known for such. In fact there's a basic item in laptops that in about 2 years may need replacing. And on top of that is the issues with the OS that most use.

To call these reliable is ignoring a lot of issues.

OK, now about future proof. What if the world flips to tablets that use some other OS? How would your choice help?

Now back to reality. A nice laptop with the i5 and that much ram is just fine for today's programmers. And you can save enough to update it in 3 years.

Collapse -
by mlamura2784 / March 16, 2013 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: None.

Okay. Are there any brands that I should consider with those specs? Apple is out of my price range and I need something that is going to be a durable machine.

Collapse -
Why did you use the word "durable".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: None

Durable means "Able to withstand wear, pressure, or damage; hard-wearing."

That does not describe your run of the mill laptops but pushes me to write about Panasonic Toughbooks.

Your school should have a list of acceptable models. Why not choose from those and forget the fact that laptops do not withstand wear, pressure or damage? Even I put my laptop in a special carry case when traveling.

Collapse -
With this out of they.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:50 AM PDT

Look around for laptops with metal in the cases. It appears you are deeply concerned about the laptop's ability to withstand pressure and wear so that rules out plastic units. is an example of such and we see above you like the Apple which has a metal chassis.

Collapse -
by mlamura2784 / March 16, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: With this out of they.

These are reasonably priced. Thanks.

Collapse -
I typo'd that last reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: none

I meant "With this out of the way."

Collapse -
Of those 3 I read more good
by orlbuckeye / April 1, 2013 9:26 PM PDT

things about Lenova.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.