Phones

Question

Buying a contract free phone from Verizon (HTC DROID DNA)

by Vuco1 / December 16, 2012 1:41 AM PST

Hi,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but I cannot find answer to this question. I live in Europe (Croatia) but in a month I'l visit NYC. While I'm there my plan was to buy HTC DROID DNA from Verizon as a contract free phone. As it is a Global Network phone will it work with my own network carrier and sim card back in Europe?

Thanks in advance Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a contract free phone from Verizon (HTC DROID DNA)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a contract free phone from Verizon (HTC DROID DNA)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, but it still lacks the 1800 band, & LTE bands for Europ
by Pepe7 / December 16, 2012 4:37 AM PST

That band is used in Europe too for GSM, so it would make little sense to me to overpay for that phone (already out of date, somewhat) which lacks one of the basic GSM frequencies for use in the Balkans, etc.

Also, the LTE frequency bands it contains are not the same bands used in Europe/Asia. Unless you spend more time using this phone here with Verizon, or another U.S. network that will share Verizon's LTE network, you should really stick with something else IMNSHO. Plus, the resale value will surely drop on this one after the new year(!)

Collapse -
1800 band?
by Vuco1 / December 16, 2012 5:40 PM PST

Official web page says that DNA supports 1800 band, and there is no good LTE provider in Croatia

Collapse -
You are correct
by Pepe7 / December 17, 2012 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: 1800 band?

I just double checked and it looks like it is indeed a quad GSM handset too. The site I referenced initially was using the UMTS band numbers for GSM too in their specifications list. Ah, the wonders of the interwebs ;).

Even if you don't care about LTE, why are you so hooked on this model when you could get something else a bit cheaper (arguably, better) to take home with you?

Collapse -
Other models?
by Vuco1 / December 17, 2012 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: You are correct

What other models would you suggest?

Thanks in advance Happy

Collapse -
You could look at a Samsung S3 (n/t)
by Pepe7 / December 17, 2012 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Other models?

It would likely be cheaper

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.