TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Buy TV's from COSTCO???

by ilikenascar / September 13, 2005 11:47 PM PDT

I was originally looking to buy a panasonic 42PX50U plasma, but I think I'm going to wait until the resolution grows a little on those and save my money for a larger purchase in a couple years. Plus by that time I should be in a house and I'll switch over to DirecTV which will have tons of HD channels by then.

So now I'm looking at a 32" LCD. It'll move to the bedroom then in a couple years and be replaced by a bigger plasma or rear projection.

Anyway, long story short, Costco seems to have some good deals on LCD's, specifically Sharp and Philips. However, the models they carry don't seem to be carried by anyone else? In the store they look pretty good (warehouse in St. Peters, MO), but of course it's only broadcasting Vooms HDnet, so almost all look great. Anyway, any thoughts about buying a TV from Costco. The Sharp and Philips they have (32") sell for $1499. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buy TV's from COSTCO???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buy TV's from COSTCO???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buy TV's from COSTCO???
by jcrobso / September 14, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

One thing to keep in mind is that every company makes MANY,MANY different models. No store that I have ever been in has ever carried evey model that Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, etc makes.
Fry's electronics has the biggest selection I have ever seen, but they don't carry them all.
The best thing to do is get the model# go to Sharp's web site also check out Cnet's TV reviews.
Yes most plamsa's are 720p (1280x720) at this time, there are some 1080i plamsas but they are in the $4000 ballpark.
Costco does have a great return policy.
FYI!! VOOM-DH went out of business, but Dish Network boughtthem, so what you were watching was from Dish Networks HD channels. John

Collapse -
Costco Tv's not reviewed by CNET
by ilikenascar / September 14, 2005 5:40 AM PDT

I forgot to say now owned by Dish....but yes, broadcasting HD nevertheless.

The thing about the costco TV's is that I see them on the company website, but I can't seem to find any reviews of that specific model by CNET. I understand CNET can't review everything obviously, but I just get confused when Sharp has like 4 or 5 different 32" LCD and they all seem to be the same. Hard to tell the differences from the website. I'm thinking about going with the philips though, but the costco one they carry is a different model number than anyone else seems to carry. Something that starts with a 7 vs. a 9. Are the "9" models those ones with "ambilight?" THanks.

Collapse -
about going with the philips though
by jcrobso / September 14, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

Well the Phillips has a brighter picture.
A couple of things that large retailes do is have "special models" made for them, or maybe I should say just have "special model numbers" for the TVs that they sell. The same TV but with a slightly different number. Sucks, I know.
Some just buy up last years models at a low price to sell.
If it has a ATSC HD tunner it is this years model. John

Collapse -
Specific model at Costco
by ilikenascar / September 14, 2005 6:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Costco TV reviews
by Dan Filice / September 14, 2005 7:33 AM PDT

The one thing I discovered is that places like Costco are given specific models of electronics that are typically 1-digit off of the same models found in other stores. I think they do this so there can't be any "direct comparison" to the same models found in the major electronic stores but which are sold at a discount at Costco. Good Guys, Best Buy, Circuit City and Fry's also have similar models with slightly different model numbers. I think it's a conspiracy so the consumer can't do any real comparisons. The bed mattress business is the worst. I can almost guarantee that you cannot find the same model at any two mattress stores. I think that's why Sit 'N Sleep can advertise "their mattress is free" if you can find the same model for less. You can't find the same model anywhere. Last week I bought a Panasonic mini-DV camera from Amazon, model GS-31. Costco had the exact same camera, but it was called a GS-32. The Panasonic site does not list the GS-32, only the 31. I think they do this to protect their retail stores.

Collapse -
Very true....but......
by ilikenascar / September 14, 2005 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Costco TV reviews

That's very true, and I guess somewhat expected. However, regardless of model numbers, the Philips website doesn't even have any 30" LCD TV listed, yet Costco carries a 30" LCD TV. Maybe the 30" is a 2004 model? I think I'm still going to go with the 32 though.

Collapse -
You got it right
by HTHMAN / September 14, 2005 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Costco TV reviews

It seems that a lot of the electronics are that way. I bought an HP printer there and the Model # was the same as the retail stores except it had an X after it. Prevents you from buying cheaper at Costco and returning to Best Buy or Circuit City. Compare the spec sheets, inputs, switches etc. If they are the same, it is probably the same item exactly. Many of their products have the exact same model number. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........

Collapse -
What if it's a smaller duck?
by ilikenascar / September 14, 2005 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: You got it right

Again though, what if the duck in the store is 30" and there is no 30" duck on the website, only a 32" duck?

If someone starts reading first at this post they might be thoroughly confused. Haha!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.