Tablets forum

buy Kindle Touch now or wait for KF8?

by d_ratner / March 19, 2012 3:39 AM PDT

I am unsure whether to buy the Kindle Touch now or wait for KF8 to be ** officially supported ** and running on the existing version. Amazon's statement that they will support KF8 on the latest versions of the Kindles seems just a bit vague, since they could release another version of the Touch before KF8 is supported. I am waiting for them to deliver. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks much!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: buy Kindle Touch now or wait for KF8?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: buy Kindle Touch now or wait for KF8?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I read this...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have too ...
by d_ratner / March 19, 2012 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I read this...

Thanks Bob, but knowing this led me to the question.

Collapse -
I see NO assurance KF8 will be supported
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I have too ...

On E-INK devices. Why would you buy such if you wanted KF8?

Collapse -
I see NO assurance KF8 will be supported
by d_ratner / March 20, 2012 12:19 AM PDT

It seems that KF8 publications have additional formatting capabilities that might be nice on an e-ink device. I certainly am looking for an e-ink device due to the improved readability (lack of glare, easier on the eyes). I recognize that it's a niche market device, but this is what I'm after. Your point is well-taken that perhaps some of the more dynamic features of KF8 will not render well on the Kindle Touch. It still has me stuck waiting. It would be nice if Amazon would come out with less vague information!

Collapse -
Let me make it less vague.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

Not one E-Ink device has KF8 today. We see some potential benefits but to buy a basket in hope of some eggs only to discover they will only put eggs in the colored baskets is frankly, wishing a bit too much.

Amazon is right not to make too many promises on this. Wait and see what the programmers can squeeze out of the devices.

Collapse -
Re: Let me make it less vague
by d_ratner / March 21, 2012 6:35 AM PDT

I guess my strategy will be to postpone my purchase until I have gone too long without reading new books or am going on an extended vacation and don't want to lug around too much reading material. Happy I'll get what I get I suppose, but I have to wonder when the next release of the Kindle family might be (?) Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Too bad I don't know any programmers at Amazon.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.