Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

But would she have seen the cones if they were there?

by Steven Haninger / July 11, 2009 / 5:42 PM UTC

A teen's family plans to sue after their 15 year old daughter fell into an open manhole while she was texting. Apparently the workmen hadn't yet put the safety cones in place. I wonder if it would have made a difference in the outcome.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31853449/?GT1=43001

Glad she wasn't hurt but hope she got a good wake up. Watching where your feet are going to land is a better practice than the faith that the ground will rise up to meet them. (stolen paraphrase of an old Irish blessing) Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: But would she have seen the cones if they were there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: But would she have seen the cones if they were there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Great Expectations"
by Angeline Booher / July 12, 2009 / 7:14 AM UTC

I have expectations while walking that there are no open unattended manholes along the way. What I have seen around here is that warning cones or wood barricades are placed BEFORE a cover is removed. Due care is all we should expect.

Why did all of the crew members turn their backs, briefly or not? How many of those crew members would it take to change a light bulb? Happy

Had she stumbled over or kicked a cone and then fallen, IMO, the crew had taken reasonable care.

The young lady should hopefully learn a lesson, especially as she is near driving age. Also, there are other hazards along the streets and sidewalks.

All of this being said, I don't think the lawsuit should be for much money.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I wouldn't have a problem with reasonable recovery
by Steven Haninger / July 12, 2009 / 8:01 AM UTC
In reply to: "Great Expectations"

for medical expenses. But it sounds as if they may want something for the experience of "fright". You mentioned driving. That was my thought exactly. It frightens me to know that drivers on the same road with me have developed the habit of text messaging while behind the wheel. It should be frightening to these workmen to know that people don't watch where they walk. There should be reasonable awareness and care expected by both parties here, IMO. Recently I was rammed in a grocery store by a woman on a cell phone pushing a cart with a child in cart seat. Of course this caused the child to reel from the collision with me. I got a quick apology while she attended to her crying child as she hurried away. Perhaps it was my fault for not noticing that she was coming and taking evasive action. It was an under 5 mph crash and I only receive minor cosmetic damage. Happy

Collapse -
You are shouldering to much blame.
by Angeline Booher / July 12, 2009 / 8:16 AM UTC

You were concentrating on shopping. She was concentrating on her conversation.

She could have also taken evasive action as much as you.

The supermarket aisle hazards used to be huge stack of glass jars at the end of aisles just waiting to be knocked over, 3-4 ft. metal display racks that caught the wheel of a cart, etc. Now we have to watch for people with cell phones to their ears. i say, let them watch for us! Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon