E-readers forum

Bushwhacking E-Reader

by SomeStudent / October 26, 2012 3:49 AM PDT

I will be travelling abroad to Tanzania next semester: Internet will be almost non-existent, and I probably won't have frequent access to power-outlets. I need to write my Senior Seminar for my History major while I'm there.

My plan is to download a ton of articles and books in PDF format before I leave in January, and carry them with me on an e-reader to do my research. I'll be writing my paper with old-fashioned pencil and notebook.

I've heard about converting PDF files to mobi format to enhance readability on an e-reader. Is this a good option? What's a typical file size?

Lastly, what e-reader should I get? I need one which:

Is portable
Has a long battery life (>3 days)
Has enough storage for... 10,000 pages?
Is cheap. I'm a college student.

So far I'm thinking about the Kobo Wireless E-reader: Looks like I can get one for about $60.

Thanks for your help guys!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bushwhacking E-Reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bushwhacking E-Reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This one is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Bushwhacking E-Reader

You won't be getting any color reader and none I know of will run for 3 days with the power on. Are you saying you will be up for 72 hours using this unit? Most folk sleep and the actual use hits 8 hours per day max.

Our old black/white display kindle would go weeks on a charge. Those color Android things do not go a full day so we know that's a none starter.

Collapse -
PS. CNET notes weeks on a charge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: This one is easy.
Collapse -
looking for alternatives
by SomeStudent / October 26, 2012 4:02 AM PDT

Just hoping to find an alternative even cheaper than the Kobo.

Collapse -
72 hours reading... Heck no
by SomeStudent / October 26, 2012 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: This one is easy.

Ah, there's no way I would be reading for 72 hours straight.... not even during finals week. One that could handle 3 hours of reading a day stretched out over a period of 3 days would be fine. Definitely wouldn't want a color e-reader. The less bells and whistles, the better Happy

Collapse -
Once you go below 99 bucks, my opinion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 4:05 AM PDT

Is that you are already in the ball park of price versus quality issues. You picked one of the best for that price class and maybe some refurb or no-name could be cheaper but I wouldn't.

Collapse -
by SomeStudent / October 26, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks a bunch for your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.